News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Room of the Month - February 2018

Started by Benki, February 08, 2018, 12:54:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who won Room of the Month in February 2018?

Benki
Boomerang
Digital Mantra
Jiffy
Oneof99

Benki

I made this room when I was 13.  :whoa:

I'm 18 now lol

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Quietus

Good looking room, with some nice layering. Now you have the rest of the month to release a full hack. Go, go, go! :^_^:

LiquidDreams

Boomerang

Another GBA room, will probably do a Super room next time B^)

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Jiffy

[spoiler][/spoiler]

One of the big Nature rooms. The background is a little repetitive, but it's not as noticeable in-game with the water layer over it.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Jiffy

Quote from: Digital_Mantra on February 23, 2018, 09:21:04 PM
[spoiler][/spoiler]
Ooh, that sure does look nice. However I'm not sure how well the blue background fits against the majority yellow/orange. Maybe you could try a subtle red for those tiles.
Also, the brown tiles around waterfalls/light sources are quite imaginative. I actually had a similar idea but I wasn't sure how to pull it off.

LiquidDreams

Quote from: Jefe962 on February 24, 2018, 05:22:48 AM
However I'm not sure how well the blue background fits against the majority yellow/orange. Maybe you could try a subtle red for those tiles.
I disagree, I think the blue is a needed break from the other colors in there. Kinda balances it out.

Your room looks really good jefe962. You're definitely gifted when it comes to aesthetics and level design.

Cpt.Glitch

Quote from: Jefe962 on February 22, 2018, 03:36:44 PM
[spoiler][/spoiler]

One of the big Nature rooms. The background is a little repetitive, but it's not as noticeable in-game with the water layer over it.

[spoiler][/spoiler]
I'm digging it. HOWEVER, some of the spikes are seemingly floating. Take a look on some of the corner tiles, where spikes are. Not a big issue, but it's a turn off.

OneOf99

Well not to worry Glitch, I got a great room for you bud.
[spoiler][/spoiler]
This took me 20 hours to make (not counting bathroom breaks, which would have doubled this amount)

Quietus

I think it actually looks pretty good because of its simplicity. Sometimes, less is more.

Also, I can't unsee the orange blocks being a creeper (in booties?). *HSSSSssss....* :oh:

Quote58

It looks like we have a tie for room of the month December/January, with both Oneof99 and Daltone getting 9 votes each. Congrats go out to both of you!

Now it's time to vote on these lovely entries for the month of February!
[spoiler=Benki][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Boomerang][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Dman][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Jiffy][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Oneof99][/spoiler]

OneOf99

Voted for Benki here, man is that a nice room! I always like a Brinstar fusion, and the palettes in this one look beautiful. Also, placement of spikes doesn't look awful, so points for that.

Boomerang has a fine room too, but it is just a tad bit basic for me to like the most. Maybe some more background objects would have done the room justice. Looks fun to play, though.

DMan has an interesting idea for his room, and the trees all look really cool, but everything is just so thick and hard to comprehend. Too much noise if you ask me.

Jiffy's room is very clean, but once again it lacks primary features. the big emtpy space in the middle of the room could have used some kind of background rocks to fill in the void.

My room is terrible, but at least CaptGlitch is now forced to vote for it  :heheh:

Quietus

Benki for me too. It's a quality vanilla room, and the small patches of CRE don't seem to stand out like a sore thumb, which can often happen in rooms like this.

Also, DMan has some really cool trees. :^_^:

Jet3rd

My vote goes to Digital Mantra. I like the atmosphere in that room!

Miranda Gemini

EZ vote for DMantra. None of the other rooms have much going on. When you consider the scale of DMan's room I think the "too much going on" is pretty unjustified. That thing is fucking huge and to keep that level of detail running throughout is some crazy dedication. That room is like, a bank of space on its own. Impressive stuff.

LiquidDreams

I vote for DMantra. I'd say Benki's room is technically perfect, the execution is flawless. But at the same time it looks kind of familiar to me, for lack of a better word. Probably the tileset, I dunno. I'm big on novelty and strangeness, and DMantra's room has elements I don't immediately recognize which makes it more interesting to me.