News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid overclocking

Started by Marcelo20XX, April 12, 2018, 07:22:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcelo20XX

Hi guys!
Recently it was released a new update to the SNES libretro cores of RetroArch that allows for overclocking, Snes9x and Snes9X 2010 can be tweaked to remove slowdowns in the majority of the SNES library. Game with heavy slowdowns like Gradius 3, Super Ghouls N Ghost benefits the most BUT Super Metroid its a different case, why? because very few games exhibit incompatibilities with overclocking, to the top of my head Chronno Trigger just hang and the other game that do the same is, you guessed it Super Metroid...

I am not new to overclocking, I was doing it for years on the old MESS now merged with MAME emulator, mainly OCing arcade games but SNES too so I figured out that the only part that causes the lock out in SM is the intro, I saved just before the part where Samus says "The last Metroid is in captivity..." and after that you can overclock the game to the max and play a never seen before SM without any slowdowns (Kraid's battle plays smoothly) and together with the speed ups patches in this website (Kuzuoka's speed door transition, Elevator Speed patch and the No Message Boxes for items) you can enjoy an uninterrupted gameplay experience...

So with all that said, could any guru coder here take a look at the intro routine and patch the game so we can enjoy a smooth Super Metroid...thanks in advance...

Ronanklan

I don't really like to play games on my computer so I did the more elaborate method of installing the hack ROM on my new to DS XL... While playing Metroid super zero Mission I was running into some frame rate issues... Is that at all related to what you're speaking of? Because I don't think you can overclock a to DS XL can you?