News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

MZM Randomizer

Started by biospark, December 21, 2017, 08:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

00kraken00

Thanks Biospark for spicing up the metroid community again, been following u since ur non tas 0% glitch

Elias

Ran into an interesting seed today:
[spoiler]1607075625[/spoiler]

Ice Beam was in Norfair (15, 10), with the caveat that both High Jump and Power Grip were blocked off until after Tourian/Chozodia. The only feasible way me and a few others could think to try and get the Ice Beam was a near frame perfect compact horizontal bomb jump under the pillar into a vertical bomb jump into the opening. Seems to me like the kind of stuff that only TAS could pull off, but maybe I'm wrong or forgetting about some other technique. Is TAS-level difficulty meant to be included in "completable" seeds or do the requirements for that item need to be revisited?

Stream of addressing it, starting at trying to get into the room: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/264902001?t=02h39m02s

makazuwr32

you can try to shinespark through there.

Elias

Quote from: makazuwr32 on April 22, 2018, 12:17:07 PM
you can try to shinespark through there.
That was something I had considered, even though Speed Booster wasn't listed in the requirements. From the closest position where you can generate a shinespark to the position where you'd have to jump up to spark over to the item, there's no slopes and too long a time period to get there. Much like the horizontal bomb jump, it might theoretically be possible with TAS or someone of an extremely high skill level, but right now I can't see it (or do it, for that matter).

biospark

Quote from: Elias on April 22, 2018, 02:12:05 AM
Ran into an interesting seed today:

This has already been fixed in the upcoming version.

Ben Plus!

When I rando items with all Misc. and Palettes options on, it places me in a random heated room in Norfair (or Ridley, can't tell) with no music, and no HUD. How do I fix this?

biospark

Quote from: Ben Plus! on June 11, 2018, 07:37:52 AM
When I rando items with all Misc. and Palettes options on, it places me in a random heated room in Norfair (or Ridley, can't tell) with no music, and no HUD. How do I fix this?
This is probably an issue with your ROM. Make sure you're using an unmodified version.

Ben Plus!

I always use a vanilla, unmodded ZM ROM, but is renaming it with MAGE a liability? I hope not.

Ohmus

Ok, so i'm new here, nice to meet you all, etc, etc. First of all, congrats to Biospark for creating this randomizer. I discover it recently, i've played 4 or 5 seeds, and i'm having lots of fun! So, there's something i wanted to ask. I'm considering speedrunning this rando, and i wanted to know if there's any categories for it. Since you can go straight to Mecha Ridley, i was wondering if there was an "all bosses" category, for example, besides the 100% and the normal one.

Also wanted to share something curious. So i was playing this seed and i was on Norfair, almost go mode, going to check a spot with 2 items by the wave beam location, in this room where you have to freeze an enemy to get to the first item. And in a previous room, i fall into the acid by mistake. No high jump, no gravity suit, i couldn't jump high enough to get a wall jump out and got softlocked there with 7 energy tanks. The lamest softlock ever, probably.

FelixWright

Quote from: Ohmus on June 28, 2018, 08:27:41 PM
I'm considering speedrunning this rando, and i wanted to know if there's any categories for it.

biospark would not be the person to ask about that

Quote from: Ohmus on June 28, 2018, 08:27:41 PM
Also wanted to share something curious. So i was playing this seed and i was on Norfair, almost go mode, going to check a spot with 2 items by the wave beam location, in this room where you have to freeze an enemy to get to the first item. And in a previous room, i fall into the acid by mistake. No high jump, no gravity suit, i couldn't jump high enough to get a wall jump out and got softlocked there with 7 energy tanks. The lamest softlock ever, probably.

Doesn't sound like a softlock. Sounds like you need to #gitgud or just avoid that room until later. The super metroid randomizer has similar situations, all of which are escapable.

Luligabi1

Sorry for the (very probably) dump question, but the "Exclude Items" requires numbers between 0 and 99. How do I know which item is which? Its the Internal ID or something?

Cpt.Glitch

If you create a log file for a randomized rom, you will see numbers beside each item. This is the number they are assigned.

Luligabi1

Oh, thanks for the info :)

ShockinglySane

Just made an account after lurking for years to say this is really great! Also wanted to ask if it'd be possible to randomize the suit palettes in a similar way to the tilesets and beams?

Bwndel

Registered to say thanks, Especially for the color randomzier, purple starting gun looks great.

biospark

New version!

Download
1.2.0 - 2018-10-11
  - Power bombs can be obtained before bombs without softlocking the game
  - Redefined item requirement logic to account for power bomb fix
  - Modified palette randomization to adjust for brightness
  - Randomizer version, seed, and settings are now provided during the intro cutscene
  - "Remove cutscenes" option removes a few more cutscenes
  - Added "Chozo statue hints" option for item randomization
  - Added "Infinite bomb jump" and "Wall jumping" options for item randomization
  - Added application settings with some time-saving options

biospark

New version!

Download
1.2.1 - 2018-10-13
  - Fixed item requirement logic that caused unbeatable seeds
  - Added potential for space jump to replace morph ball

gr8tmaker

Hi,new guy registering here and long time user (downloading hacks here and there where they look awesome and interesting.Anyway i wanted to say great on the MZM Randomizer version,just one slight problem with it,i downloaded a few minutes ago and it does not boot up at all,i checked on Task Manager if it shows up,it does but it disapears like its not working properly,there is no problem on downloading but open it after does not work.check it out please,thank you.

makazuwr32

This Seed in unbeatable i think.

Because bombs are in lower ridley, speed booster is here, behind original bombs:

Grappling thing is behind speed booster in kraid
And for now i have these items:

The reason is that power bombs don't give you jump upon explosion.

Dragonfangs

Quote from: makazuwr32 on October 14, 2018, 11:07:25 AM

Looking at the maps for this quickly, you can get Hi-jump in Kraid, which lets you balljump to get speedbooster

systemeth

Seed: 2078008513
Settings: ms45AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAQoHgW-B

If you go into Ridley without Speed Booster or Bombs you get softlocked with no way out, because you can't shinespark and can't activate the ballspark machines.
If you could activate the ballspark machines with PBs, this could be avoided.

biospark

Quote from: systemeth on October 21, 2018, 06:23:13 AM
If you go into Ridley without Speed Booster or Bombs you get softlocked with no way out, because you can't shinespark and can't activate the ballspark machines.
The randomizer doesn't prevent softlocks. The seed should still be beatable otherwise.

makazuwr32

Quote from: Dragonfangs on October 14, 2018, 02:39:01 PM
Quote from: makazuwr32 on October 14, 2018, 11:07:25 AM

Looking at the maps for this quickly, you can get Hi-jump in Kraid, which lets you balljump to get speedbooster

I can't bombjump because i don't have bombs and powerbombs don't give you even single bombjump.

systemeth

Quote from: biospark on October 21, 2018, 01:55:41 PM
Quote from: systemeth on October 21, 2018, 06:23:13 AM
The randomizer doesn't prevent softlocks. The seed should still be beatable otherwise.

Oh I thought it prevented ones you could save yourself into but not minor ones. Fuck.
Guess I'll start over (might as well with a new seed in that case).

EDIT: Is it possible to fix it so the music doesn't get stuck should you go to the Space Pirate portion of Chozodia early? If you trigger any space pirates and the music changes, it will change to the music during the stealth sequence (after you've escaped detection) and seems to be stuck on that even if you leave, with the behaviour also persisting should you try saving elsewhere and reloading.

systemeth

Seed: 1852476522
Settings: qw45AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAQoHgW-F

Just might be unbeatable.
I can't get to Speed Booster (top right of Norfair) without Bombs or Power Grip or Ice Beam.
I can't get to Bombs, Ice Beam, or Power Grip (all three of which are in the Mothership) without Speed Booster or Space Jump.
I can't get to Space Jump (in Ridley) without Speed Booster, Bombs, or Power Grip.
Since I can't get the Ice Beam, I can't get to the Mothership via doing Tourian either (as I wouldn't be able to kill the Metroids).

I would love to be wrong on this, but I'm fairly certain that's how it is.