News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

MZM Randomizer

Started by biospark, December 21, 2017, 08:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nicholas Steel

Isn't that item blocked by Speed Booster blocks? So I'd need Power Grip, Hi-Jump, Speed Booster and Gravity Suit to reach the item in the lava? Or are you not talking about 10, 8 (item 87) location in Chozodia Ruins?

biospark

Quote from: Nicholas Steel on February 12, 2018, 12:35:56 PM
Isn't that item blocked by Speed Booster blocks? So I'd need Power Grip, Hi-Jump, Speed Booster and Gravity Suit to reach the item in the lava? Or are you not talking about 10, 8 location in Chozodia Ruins?

I'm talking about item 90. Without gravity, you also need a bunch of energy tanks to get it.

The one you're talking about is in water, and it only requires gravity and speed booster.

Nicholas Steel

Does Hi-Jump (& Spring Ball) allow Morph Ball to jump in liquids? I assume it does because I don't see how Hi-Jump could help you to reach it if it didn't. Anyways, you know what needs fixing in regards to item placement logic so I'll patiently wait for the next version.

Thankfully I wasn't overlooking anything when I became unable to figure out how to get the items.

MetroidNerd#9001

Yes, Hi-Jump does allow morph jumping in water. There are a few pickups that require this if you don't have gravity suit.

KirbyLover69

Thank you very much for making this randomizer. Despite having never played ZM before, I've played a ton of randomizers and had a lot of fun. Even though I am a left hand one handed Fusion legend, I think I've gotten to the point where I've spent more time playing ZM than Fusion.

However, I have one major problem with your randomizer. I am a huge weeb, and this randomizer does not allow me to play ZM in the vastly superior Japanese language, which I use on a daily basis when watching my favourite animes. Can you please add this functionality? Thanks biospark.

FelixWright

Quote from: KirbyLover69 on February 16, 2018, 05:59:55 AM
Thank you very much for making this randomizer. Despite having never played ZM before, I've played a ton of randomizers and had a lot of fun. Even though I am a left hand one handed Fusion legend, I think I've gotten to the point where I've spent more time playing ZM than Fusion.

However, I have one major problem with your randomizer. I am a huge weeb, and this randomizer does not allow me to play ZM in the vastly superior Japanese language, which I use on a daily basis when watching my favourite animes. Can you please add this functionality? Thanks biospark.

I don't think that this is going to happen. My reason behind this is the difference in ROM offsets. Because more content has to be added for an EU/JP ROM, they are compiled differently and thus the offsets used for randomizer are different. The randomizer uses a lot of offsets, and unlike the japanese release of fusion compared to its NA release there isn't really a reason to do it aside from muh weeb speeks.

biospark

Quote from: KirbyLover69 on February 16, 2018, 05:59:55 AMI am a huge weeb, and this randomizer does not allow me to play ZM in the vastly superior Japanese language, which I use on a daily basis when watching my favourite animes. Can you please add this functionality? Thanks biospark.

これは非常に低い優先順位ですが、ゲームはすべての日本語のテキストがあるので、ある種の言語を選択することがUバージョンにハックすることができます。

[spoiler]This would be extremely low priority, but I could hack in some sort of language select into the U version, since it has all the Japanese text.[/spoiler]

KirbyLover69

いつも大変お世話になっております。KirbyLover69です。

ハック可能性があると聞けて喜んでいます。あのハックをするならとても感謝しています。

それでは、よろしくお願いいたします。

[spoiler]ちなみに、一年前東京に引っ越したから是非遊びに来てね![/spoiler]

pokedude14

I realize that this is likely just me being a skrub when it comes to ZM, but how difficult would it be to have a mode that doesn't require any speedrunning tactics (such as Wall jumps/ horizontal bomb jumps).

Granted my only other Rando that I play often in ALttP, but even that, they have modes where the logic doesn't require speedrunning tricks (like Fake Flippers).

samthedigital

Quote from: pokedude14 on February 22, 2018, 11:35:02 PM
I realize that this is likely just me being a skrub when it comes to ZM, but how difficult would it be to have a mode that doesn't require any speedrunning tactics (such as Wall jumps/ horizontal bomb jumps).

Granted my only other Rando that I play often in ALttP, but even that, they have modes where the logic doesn't require speedrunning tricks (like Fake Flippers).

Fake Flippers as far as I am aware is a glitch whereas wall/bomb jumps are intended game mechanics (proper horizontal bomb jumps are thankfully never required for any reason). That being said I don't know that it would be very interesting to play through seeing as not requiring speedrunning tricks basically just means getting most items early on in the game to be able to do the 'intended' route. As is with item locations basically being as unrestrictive as possible runs start to blend together and feel similar after a while already.

OneOf99

Quote from: samthedigital on February 23, 2018, 06:52:54 AM

Fake Flippers as far as I am aware is a glitch whereas wall/bomb jumps are intended game mechanics (proper horizontal bomb jumps are thankfully never required for any reason). That being said I don't know that it would be very interesting to play through seeing as not requiring speedrunning tricks basically just means getting most items early on in the game to be able to do the 'intended' route. As is with item locations basically being as unrestrictive as possible runs start to blend together and feel similar after a while already.
Pretty much this, the randomizer is made to make the game turn around and stand on its head. I think requiring new strats is what makes it interesting.

KirbyLover69

I had a seed the other day where the only way to get missiles at the start of the game was a super at long beam. Unfortunately I was playing on hard, so this left me soft locked unless I could somehow get a super missile drop from the enemies outside long beam (which I gave up on after about 10 minutes, and I wish that 10 minutes was an exaggeration). Is there any way to up the chances of these dropping a super missile if this situation occurs?

Nicholas Steel

I can understand the dislike of horizontal bomb jumps, but wall jumping???

KirbyLover I tend to use cheats to escape a Soft-Lock situation. There's a cheat for infinite jump height which was super helpful when I got stuck in Crateria/at my ship. I bomb jumped up the shaft left of my ship and entered a 1-way passage to my ship. Technically I wasn't soft locked, I just needed to do an obscene number of bomb jumps to reach a door above my ship (Power Grip room) to work around the blockade that's in the room to the right of my ship (The room to the right of my ship needed me to activate a mystery item to make certain blocks destructible but I couldn't easily reach the mystery item from my ship).

biospark

Quote from: KirbyLover69 on February 26, 2018, 03:32:21 AM
I had a seed the other day where the only way to get missiles at the start of the game was a super at long beam. Unfortunately I was playing on hard, so this left me soft locked unless I could somehow get a super missile drop from the enemies outside long beam (which I gave up on after about 10 minutes, and I wish that 10 minutes was an exaggeration). Is there any way to up the chances of these dropping a super missile if this situation occurs?

Other than modifying the drop rate itself, no.

samthedigital

It would be possible to remove the blocks there completely, but I don't think that it's a good solution. It does make long potentially worth checking early though rather than skipping it unless bombs are there.

KirbyLover69

Yeah, I was wondering if you could modify the drop rate itself if you're in that very specific situation on hard mode.

miraika

I'd like to suggest having the option to start with certain items - that can make the game easier or feel different without having to add new logic.  If you want to limit which you can start off with, my top five candidates would be

*Morph Ball        (00 becomes an actual surprise!)
*Power Grip        (get around easier, less bomb jumps)
*Hi-Jump            (same as above)
*Long Beam        (just makes the game in general a little quicker and easier)
*Varia Suit          (same as above)

(And yes, I know I could just use cheats to start with these.) 

---

I'd also be interested to see some seeds that really change up your strategies.  As another poster mentioned, you just need the bombs and the missiles and you're all set to do a low % run. Everything else just makes things a little easier or opens up some extra items (which again, if they're not bombs or your first set of missiles, you don't need to beat the game). 

You need bombs to leave Brinstar, so there's not a lot of variety to be had there (most epic placement I can imagine is [10] with early Space Jump). 

Now in the case of missiles, there's a lot of locations you can potentially reach without them.  But since so many of the items are missile upgrades, I assume the odds are really against it happening randomly. 

TL;DR: I'd like to see some randos with late missiles (at least not in 02 or 11).  An option in the randomizer would be nice, but you can also just post seeds if you got 'em!

monkeysmb

Is there a way you could add an option to put an already randomized ROM back into the program and get the seed and settings popped back out? I had a really good seed today that I would like to share, but I didn't save the seed or settings.

biospark

Quote from: monkeysmb on March 05, 2018, 06:06:49 PM
Is there a way you could add an option to put an already randomized ROM back into the program and get the seed and settings popped back out? I had a really good seed today that I would like to share, but I didn't save the seed or settings.

Did you not save a log file? Otherwise, there's nothing you can do. In the future, the seed and settings will be displayed on the title screen.

frozenLake

So, something that kinda irks me when it comes to the hue shifting functionality is that, while it does create pretty looking areas at times, others, it ends up being a mess. This is due to the fact that some hues of colors when hue shifting are just naturally brighter than others. however, this could be fixed by implementing a form of correction by matching the perceptual brightness to the original palette. To give examples of both the problem, and a mockup of the solution, see the images below.

TheSandromatic

I just spent hours copying the randomizer logic out into a google sheet.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1H1DpMjaOfmlPz0Ah_aZsIa5_-xF_dHAMQo6EhiXMksE/edit?usp=sharing
(I got it from decompiling.) I would like to modify the logic to include an easier mode, for those who aren't so talented at the more difficult tricks of zero mission, like myself. I can do this through decompiling and creating another build, but I would rather not do that if possible. Also, if anyone wants that logic, there you go, it might help with optimising things, or finding some errors. (for instance, one of the early things requires regular missiles specifically, and super missiles don't count? this is probably a bug in the randomizer code, but it might be intentional? Not sure why though.) It might be helpful. In any case, if I could get a copy of the original randomizer code, I could submit a proper patch rather than having to build it off a decompiled copy.

biospark

Unfortunately, I've redone all of the requirements because the next version will allow power bombs before bombs.

Quote from: TheSandromatic on March 28, 2018, 02:00:49 AM
for instance, one of the early things requires regular missiles specifically

The charge beam worm requires missiles in order to spawn.

TheSandromatic

QuoteUnfortunately, I've redone all of the requirements because the next version will allow power bombs before bombs.
Yay, well, I'll make sure to update what I've written when that comes out then. :P anyway, about that easy mode....

YoItsTrev

Excellent job on the randomizer. If I may make a suggestion, could you make it easier to create multiple randomized ROMs quickly? Having to click Open Rom, find the ROM, click Randomize, select a name (Which I have to edit 3 times manually [maps folder name, ROM name, log name] once I get the Seed), and press Yes or No 2 different dialog options, then click OK to 2 more dialogs each time you want to generate a ROM is REALLY TEDIOUS. The Super Metroid, and TLoZ: A Link to the Past randomizer both do a really good job of allowing you to quickly create a bunch of random ROMs.

Elias

Been streaming this on Twitch. Good stuff, looking forward to future updates.