News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Two beginner questions.

Started by DestroyerOfAglets, November 20, 2017, 09:55:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DestroyerOfAglets

Hey there, Metroid Construction! I've been wanting to start my own hack for a while now, and I have a passable knowledge of SMILE's workings. There are just two questions I have.

1) How do you modify ASM? I've found some cool patches around the main site but I have no idea how to apply them.

2) Are there any 'common decency' patches/modifications? Things that are expected in a hack? If so, where would I get them?

Thank y'all so much for your help! I can't wait to disappoint you by failing miserably.

Cheers,
DoA

P.S.- Does this site have like no mobile support or is it just me?

Amorsis

1,) You will need a hex-editor. Though I dont have SM myself, I don't have much experience with actual ASM editing.

2,) Your hack is yours, do what you will with it.

Flower

Quote from: DestroyerOfAglets on November 20, 2017, 09:55:25 AM
Hey there, Metroid Construction! I've been wanting to start my own hack for a while now, and I have a passable knowledge of SMILE's workings. There are just two questions I have.

1) How do you modify ASM? I've found some cool patches around the main site but I have no idea how to apply them.

2) Are there any 'common decency' patches/modifications? Things that are expected in a hack? If so, where would I get them?

Thank y'all so much for your help! I can't wait to disappoint you by failing miserably.

Cheers,
DoA

P.S.- Does this site have like no mobile support or is it just me?

You could use Project Base as a starting point.
It features more movement options, faster loading (faster door transitions, elevators, ...) and some bug fixes.
http://beta.metroidconstruction.com/hack.php?id=307

And P.S. watching this site on a mobile device unfortunately sucks. It's a great site nevertheless!
:grin:

DestroyerOfAglets

Quote from: Amorsis on November 20, 2017, 10:14:00 AM
1,) You will need a hex-editor. Though I dont have SM myself, I don't have much experience with actual ASM editing.

Any editor you can recommend?

Cpt.Glitch

Quote from: DestroyerOfAglets on November 20, 2017, 09:55:25 AM
To modify ASM, you just need a word processor such as notepad. To actually apply it, you'd need an assembler such as Xkas. There should be a readme with any assembler you choose that will explain how to use it.
You only need a Hex editor if it's a small tweak or if you are looking for data/freespace. HxD is a good one.

dewhi100

SMILE also applies ASM patches for you. You do have to point it to an xkas install first, though. If you want to modify any ASM patches, or write your own, it will help if you have the RAM map for SM handy.

Many hacks use a patch to skip the intro and Ceres. You'll also want a patch that "fixes" the map, if you plan on changing the map. JAM's scrolling sky fix will help you if you change room connections in outdoor Crateria. There is also an item collection percent patch that you may find handy if you have different amounts of pickups compared to the original. I apologise for not linking to these, but I am on mobile. Good luck in finding the patches you need.