News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid: Even Less Ambitious

Started by dewhi100, September 14, 2017, 09:43:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andlabs

Likewise; I was being dumb and [spoiler]not realizing that the ceilings could be hiding stuff too, or that the tower part could also not be solid...[/spoiler]

DonnyDonovan

Thoughts on finding the first missile:

[spoiler]Where I went wrong was I found the first "hidden" missile (the one near the ship) by accident, but didn't realize the whole hidden area concept was one of the main gimmicks of the hack, so I didn't look for other ones.   Then I found the second one you can access without anything (the one in the room that connects the morph ball room and the tree room) and at that point out figured out those hidden passages were a thing.  But I still somehow didn't connect the ceiling of the tower as a likely spot until it finally dawned on me that it's a spot I hadn't tried.  So if you want people to find that missile their first or second time through that room I think I'd put a graphical hint of some sort in the tower ceiling, but, after that the player should have a firm grip on that aspect of the hack and looking for those secret passages[/spoiler]

Hope that made sense.

Phasebro

Lol, yah...[spoiler] the top part of the tower was literally the only place I hadn't jumped against or shot. [/spoiler] I felt silly afterward.

dewhi100

Quote from: DonnyDonovan on September 29, 2017, 09:22:58 PM
Thoughts on finding the first missile:

[spoiler]Where I went wrong was I found the first "hidden" missile (the one near the ship) by accident, but didn't realize the whole hidden area concept was one of the main gimmicks of the hack, so I didn't look for other ones.   Then I found the second one you can access without anything (the one in the room that connects the morph ball room and the tree room) and at that point out figured out those hidden passages were a thing.  But I still somehow didn't connect the ceiling of the tower as a likely spot until it finally dawned on me that it's a spot I hadn't tried.  So if you want people to find that missile their first or second time through that room I think I'd put a graphical hint of some sort in the tower ceiling, but, after that the player should have a firm grip on that aspect of the hack and looking for those secret passages[/spoiler]

Hope that made sense.

Thanks for the input. Reading this made me realize that I'd been taking the gimmick for granted when designing the hack, and never included a tutorial section for it! Rookie mistake. I'll try to make a subtle enough graphical hint for it.

DonnyDonovan

And FWIW I finished the rest without too much fuss.   A few things in the tree room are pretty well hidden but once you learn how to explore in this game it all came together.   There's really no way to fix the final boss.   As long as he drops it doesn't matter if you up his HP, you're never going to feel threatened or need to worry about filling up pre-fight.  I suppose if he did more damage you might have to worry about trying to dodge. 

andlabs

Quote from: DonnyDonovan on September 30, 2017, 12:17:01 PM
There's really no way to fix the final boss.   As long as he drops it doesn't matter if you up his HP, you're never going to feel threatened or need to worry about filling up pre-fight.  I suppose if he did more damage you might have to worry about trying to dodge.
I wouldn't be too sure about that; I have played half-hacks where [spoiler]Bomb Torizo is beefed up supremely specifically for the purpose of making him a mid-game or late-game boss for a better item... not to mention the gazillions of hacks that just turn the floor into spikes or add a wall.[/spoiler]

dewhi100

DonnyDonovan

True, there are certainly ways to make that fight tougher, I just meant if he doesn't change the room the fight could just end up longer but no more dangerous. 

UDtheAesir

Would be cool to program the bomb torizo with some of GT's moves such as grabbing missiles and throwing them back at you, and spawning those balls turning into weird things zipping across. I feel this can be done with a big enough room for the player to jump around across platforms to avoid things like that since BT's always encountered after getting morphing ball and missiles. Can change it up by adding Charge Beam before the encounter to make the lengthy fight more motivating to do, especially when adding to the replay value.

I dunno, I'm stoned. But I'm looking forward to playing this when it's done. Busy as hell as it is for me here.

dewhi100

The Beta v2 (possibly final beta) is posted on the top of the thread. I've just applied a little polish to the hack and if no new issues arise, I will release a proper 1.0 after a little while.