News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Metroid 2 3DS Logo - Other stuff

Started by Odb718, September 10, 2017, 04:08:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Odb718

Long story short; I've got a laser engraver and I'm going to put some Metroid images on a clear plastic case to line up with my 3DS I'm getting for Metroid II. I decided to blow up the Screw Attack logo on the bottom screen of the 3DS and try to recreate it in Photoshop.
This is the original image.

Warning, these are big images.
"Official" retry
[spoiler][/spoiler]
Negative grey scale for laser engraver
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Obviously it's not a perfect recreation. I made it how I like, but I liked the original image a lot so I tried to keep as much as possible. I dropped the scan lines, and there's probably more than a few out of place pixels, but once you resize it, it'll look good.  And if you're extremely savvy you'll see the grey scale doesn't use the official's image as the negative. I made the bg color solid black so it's solid white when negative. Otherwise the engraver will make the "white" engraved. Only 255 white doesn't get printed, and black cuts through 100% so this _should_ have a 3D effect.

I'm hoping I can outline Nintendo's official image on the 3DS and have it look something like this.

The plan is to put the Screw Attack logo on the case, do all the math to figure out the distance and scale I need my outline image to be, and engrave it.
I've bought 2 cases because I'm pretty positive it wont come out/be placed perfect. I'm thinking about buying a micrometer to get the scale of everything. But the hard part is not moving the case once it's put into the machine. I hope it comes out perfect because of how long I worked on that outline.