News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

MineConst

Started by KP9000, March 16, 2017, 04:38:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KP9000

Should MetConst have a Minecraft server?

Right now, I've got a vanilla 1.11.2 Vanilla server that I'm running on my PC. Some of you have played on it.

Here are some questions I'd like to hear input on.

• How many of you would be interested, and what interests you about Minecraft multiplayer in general?
  • What makes you stay away from multiplayer?
  • What type of server would you play on? (Vanilla Co-Op? PvP? Builder? Adventure Maps? Mod Packs?)
  • How would it be integrated into the community? (Discord channel(s), community subforums, etc)

So far I've had a max of 4 people on at once. It could get much larger if there's enough interest and if it's executed correctly. There could even be two or three servers if it's necessary.

What do you think?

Quietus

I can't see why not.

I've never played Minecraft in multiplayer, but my thoughts on your bullet points:

• Chilling out, and having a team goal. I never seem to have much inspiration once I've got my usual storage facility and farm, so it should be easier to find purpose!
  • People dicking around, chatting shit, and generally being obnoxious.
  • No PvP. Vanilla co-op I guess, no mods for consistency, but any sensible texture pack would be fine.
  • An announcement on the forum for dates and times, but actual workings via Discord would probably be best.

OneOf99

I'm up for this idea. Would be nice to have a metroid themed hub as well

Zero One

I've always found vanilla Minecraft to get boring pretty quickly, so I'm more inclined to play something with a modpack. However, if it's possible to hop into creative mode and just build shit, I'd be pretty interested in that, or maybe a separate dimension for that.

Amorsis

I would definitely play.

personitis

I've very recently gotten back into the game and have started up a survival world where I plan to build a nice mansion and rule over a kingdom of villagers. That said:

• Collaborating with others on building, general silliness, and/or hunting/mining. Basic things.
  • Over the years I've fallen away from enjoying PvP, so that. Also griefing, though I suppose that goes hand in hand with PvP. In any case, it's not my cup o' tea.
  • Vanilla or lightly modded. Being purely creative gives me less incentive to build I feel. As when I do it's either to test something or it doesn't feel like I worked nearly as hard to build whatever it is. As said above, I'm PvP adverse.
  • A Discord would probably be the way to go. Forum integration could be as simple as a topic like it was in the past unless the server were to be really complex, but even then it may be enough to have a single topic.
Now, I think I'll go back working on that world of mine, continuing to ignore irl things. :>_>:

Quietus

Quote from: personitis on March 19, 2017, 06:33:44 PM
Now, I think I'll go back working on that world of mine, continuing to ignore irl things. :>_>:
I do this on occasion. Sometimes I'm not in the mood for doing much else, and need to zone out, so I fire up Minecraft, build a basic shelter, then tuck myself away underground for some strip mining. :^_^:

RealRed

I'd like to get into Minecraft. God its been so long since I've had time to, though. I can't say I'd be a quality addition to any team though, when I do get on it's usually to fool around at someone else' expense.

Grimlock

I just got it working in 3D (Nvidia 3D Vision), so yea, I'd build some grimly constructed mediocrely amazing stuffs and things.  I prefer survival but creative would be fine to kill some time.  Mods are good too.  I'd help designing a hub area if need be.

http://helixmod.blogspot.com/2014/08/minecraft-1710-in-3d-vision.html

Cpt.Glitch

I think a lightly modded server would be best. Things like adding extra potions/enchantments, items, ect. Nothing that takes really away from the vanilla gameplay. I'm not a PvP guy when it comes to minecraft, unless we are just goofing around. I'll get on when I can, but due to my main PC not being able to run minecraft and I dont feel like setting up my other one all the time, it wont likely be unless a lot of people are on.

Amorsis

A friend of mine, happens to run a server literally no one plays on except me and him. I could talk to him and see if we could open it to Metroid Construction. The version would be 1.7.10, and you can use the clientside mods:
Journey Map
BetterFPS
Fastcraft

KP9000

I sort of agree with Zero One in that I tend to get bored with Vanilla stuff after a while; however I feel that multiplayer changes the experience quite a bit. You have someone with which to trade, work, explore, battle, and build and the way you do that with friends tends to be different than the way you do it on your own. I believe that the vanilla game changes when you play with a community.

In the end, though, I do like a bit of variety from time to time; so a light mod or two (JourneyMap, Veinminer) are things I'd apply to a Vanilla server since the preference seems to mostly be towards Vanilla. A second server via BungeeCord might be a viable option in the future for creative/modpacks if enough interest is garnered.

Right now, I'm hosting my own server on my computer using the default MC Server software. (Server info is 24.10.130.197:25565) I am thinking of moving it to a hosted service just for connection and stability's sake. Of course this costs money, so if there's any input here as far as suggestions go, I'd love to hear it. I would prefer the ability to specify a domain instead of an IP (like I did) when users add my server. And, just to be clear, the server itself has been up since it started (aside from when it was down when I moved) and will stay up until further notice.

Zero One

I'm not sure if it'll work for you, but when I hosted a Minecraft server on my PC a while back, I was able to use a domain automatically through my ISP. It was something like badrick.plus.com:25565. Maybe check to see if your ISP offers the same functionality? I tested it on a whim and found out that it worked, so who knows.

passarbye

Don't know if you guys will ever find it, but I left a message for you.
I got lost in the mines and finally got out, only to be lost once again..
Cheers!

KP9000

MineConst is getting pretty popular these days. I might have to move it to an external host. We'll see. Comcast likes to shit on its customers.

Here are a few screenshots: (clicky for bigger)

This is the Dynamic Map server. You can reach it at any time here.

Facing Grimlock's mountain house, above the horse race track. The inside looks even better!

Random mountain formation.

The server can be reached if you go to Multiplayer and click Add Server. There, you can put the server name (whatever you want) and address in. (24.10.130.197:25565)

Vismund Cygnus

I've spent far too many hours in this place. Please help.
Here's a castle I dun gone and built.
[spoiler=big][/spoiler]

Grimlock

It's a pretty impressive build Vis.  All you were lacking last time I checked it out was some interior contents.

Amorsis

@k9000 Is there a certain Minecraft version needed? Im at school at the moment, and will be hopping on there afterwards. Id love to join in. Also, I suppose theres a discord for this already?

snarfblam

Quote from: Amorsis on April 18, 2017, 10:08:01 AM
@k9000 Is there a certain Minecraft version needed? Im at school at the moment, and will be hopping on there afterwards. Id love to join in. Also, I suppose theres a discord for this already?

Quote from: KP9000 on March 16, 2017, 04:38:10 PM
Right now, I've got a vanilla 1.11.2 Vanilla server that I'm running on my PC. Some of you have played on it.

If you're already on the metconst discord, just ask a mod

Retroo

JUst want to say thanks for letting us play i am having alot of fun! My name on MC i Leonard123fyra.

Jiffy

I've been playing on for a while and it only seems to be Retro, Jifflady and I playing on the Minecraft server.
So bump! Come along if you have time and play with us! Please!?

NathanTech

......when noone notices you've been there  :neutral: