News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Metroid + Saving

Started by snarfblam, February 23, 2013, 07:03:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazyal02

Quote from: Grimlock on July 31, 2014, 11:59:50 PM
Quote from: snarfblam on March 31, 2014, 09:06:34 PM
So this happened:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

I still have a little more work to do for the next "official" version, but here it is in its current state. Metroid + Saving + Wavy Ice + Corner Map + Pause Map + Wall Jump.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12027218/Metroid%20Saving%200.4.notdone.ips

Snarfblam,  what are the risks of using your 0.4 patch applied to a clean rom to start a new hack?
Super late reply, but: The main trouble with the patch is that it breaks Editroid's Test Room feature, which could get annoying.

zobibor

Great that you fixed this aswell as the wave/ice combo =)

Fran-ma

This hack is a nice improvement on the original. The map is really needed.

Odb718

I've been editing my rom yet again. I can't "revert" back to not having the maps/saves without major graphical mess ups.
Which means there's no instant room testing with Editroid for me.

But I've made a work around.

Long story short, If you have your rom Expanded, with Saves and the mini-map, you _should_ be able to use this *.sav file
https://www.sendspace.com/file/285lat
I'm not sure if it will matter or not, but I'm using Nestopia as my emulator.

What it does is gives your game my saves. Which is kinda bad. Your title screen should look a little messed up when you first load the game. Load the first save, pause, Up+A on P2 to go back to the save. Save it. Repeat for saves 2 and 3.
Make TWO back ups of your new saves. Trust me.
From there on out you should be able to use your-my save a little easier. If you change your game A LOT you may want to do the over-save-the-save process I just explained.

Your saves screen should go from the mess up to the clean once you over-save-the-saves.

Two things to note.
You CAN "instantly test rooms" with Editroid with the mini-map save game expansion roms AND my-your save game.
To test in Brinstar select a horizontal room, where the floor/path is open where you'd usually spawn in Brinstar. So if you need to test a vertical you'd find the closest horizontal room in Editroid, select it. Then use TOOLS>Set Area Start Here.
You'll want to use the Kraid save, Number 3, or tourain, to test Brinstar. Load up the save and go up the elevator. Once in Brinstar, use Pause -> UP+A on controller 2 to save and restart the game. You'll be at the new Brinstar starting point!!

If you want to test Norfair, Load up the Ridley save, number 2, and go up the elevator. Save and restart and you'll be at the new Norfair starting point!

If you want to instantly test any room in Ridley, Kraid, or Tourain, load their save slots. 2, 3, 1, respectively.
Once you save an area you can instantly test the room by loading it's save slot. So if you need to test Norfair a lot, just make a second save. That's why I have multiple *.sav files.

All of the areas besides Brinstar use Vertical rooms as their starting points. It's because it expects to spawn you on the elevator. So keep that in mind when selecting your starting point in those areas.

As you can see, this is a major hassle. Anyone who's interested in adding these features to their rom, DO IT AT THE END.
Seriously. Get your hack up to 95% done, then add all this cool stuff. Instantly testing rooms with Editroid is such a huge help, any benefit from adding the saves and map are dwarfed by it.

----
Just in case it's not clear. You will have to rename the 1Tourain2Ridley3Kraid.sav file to your rom's name. I'd suggest making a sav with your game, copy the name, delete the file, and rename 1Tourain2Ridley3Kraid.sav.

---- ----
I've recently downloaded FCUEX 2.2.3-win32 and the sav file worked. Just put it in the proper folder.

vivify93

While this has been bumped, a user by the name of nesrocks on RHDN has a "Start with full Energy" patch for Metroid + Saving. Topic here.

Quote from: nesrocksFor health refill
Address 0x03FFE5: change to AD 77 68 20 C5 C2 09 09 8D 07 01 A9 99 8D 06 01 60

It also works with Metroid mOTHER.

Flower

Quote from: snarfblam on March 31, 2014, 09:06:34 PM
So this happened:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

I still have a little more work to do for the next "official" version, but here it is in its current state. Metroid + Saving + Wavy Ice + Corner Map + Pause Map + Wall Jump.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12027218/Metroid%20Saving%200.4.notdone.ips

Hey there, is there a way i can get this?
Dropbox Public links don't work anymore and i would be pleased to have that.

It would be important to know if i can integrate wall jump into my level design or not, as well as the other improvements.

And it would be necessary to apply to a already expanded + hacked ROM "Space Complex".

NAT

Hello Flower, here is your Patch

Flower

Flower

Is there a way to apply Metroid Plus/wavy ice/walljump/mini map/corner map/save  to a hacked ROM?
I started hacking without the Patch applied (particularly to be able to use the Test Room-Feature).
Odb, Grimlock, snarfblam, ... whoever, got experiences? What do i have to do?

When i apply it as is, my ROM is messed up totally. Graphics gone, Level Design gone, everything's gone. Just my own music is still there ;). seems like all graphic and level data are overwritten by the Patch. That's not what i wanted.

MollyAncalime

Try making an IPS patch of your hack using a clean Metroid rom, then apply the M+ patch to a clean .rom, and apply your patch over it.

Flower

Quote from: MollyAncalime on April 28, 2017, 10:55:02 AM
Try making an IPS patch of your hack using a clean Metroid rom, then apply the M+ patch to a clean .rom, and apply your patch over it.
Thanks! Sounds right and comprehensibly.

I followed your instructions multiple times, but the game crashes with a black screen.

Flower

Ouh interesting :
I repeated this
Quote from: MollyAncalime on April 28, 2017, 10:55:02 AM
but using a clean AND expanded ROM instead (the two times you said i shall use a clean ROM). The game starts, i even see my minor changed text of the title screen, the save game selection screen, but when i then try to start a game, the ROM resets automatically.
I don't know if i am into the right direction, but it's still not working anyway.

ShadowOne333

I played the latest 0.4 beta (posted a couple of comments above) and I've been enjoying it so far!
The only real problem I encountered, is that after the 6th Energy Tank, if you get more, they are not added to your total amount when obtained, the health simply fills and that's it, no 7th nor 8th Energy Tanks sadly.

Edit:
I think I'm completely oblivious to the 100% run of Metroid I did years ago.
The game has always counted only 6 energy tanks in each 100% run I've seen lately even though there are 8 available,  so simply ignore this message xD

Odb718

Flower, I'm pretty sure I came up with a way to do this a few pages back.
Basically you want to get a hacked rom to where your rom is, make a patch of that, then put that patch on your hack.
So you've probably used Editroid's expand feature so your hack it expanded, so no patching vanilla to get straight to yours.

Open a vanilla, expand it, save, making it expandedVanilla
Apply the patch to vanilla, making it newVanilla.
Make a patch from newVanilla off of expandedVanilla.
Then apply that patch to your hack.

But remember, dont add that stuff to a WIP. Wait til the end.