News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super metroid : Depth

Started by mccad, August 03, 2017, 08:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mccad

(this is my first actual hack, so you shouldn't expect anything amazing)

In this hack, samus finds herself on a decrepit chozo planet. Though it is seemingly abandoned at first site, there are creatures that lurk within the depths...

This is a very short, linear hack focused heavily on atmosphere and enviromental storytelling (sort of). It can be completed in about 45 minutes. It's more like a contest hack than anything else.

*edit: I fixed the errors pointed out by Meta, and now everything, as far as I know at least, should be in full working order.*

required skills:
-Suitless underwater (nothing too crazy, don't worry)
-Mid air morph

Enjoy!  :wink:
- Tedicles

andlabs

Am I expected to do the Sunken Lab with the following, or am I missing items? And if I have everything, which side am I expected to do first? I don't seem to have enough energy for either side...

[spoiler]2 Energy Tanks
5 Missiles
Charge Beam
Morphing Ball
Bomb
Spring Ball[/spoiler]

MetroidMst

[spoiler=andlabs]Yes, you are. There is a thing in that small area to look for. It's not easy to notice though. (Think NEStroid)[/spoiler]

Metaquarius

[spoiler]The sunken lab quickly turns into a 'find the random bomb/slot block' fest, made worse by the fact you can barely see anything in those dark rooms. Also there are Metroids so with max 2 ET, getting caught means death in most cases. Some neat ideas here and there though.[/spoiler]

Also bug reports :
- 7DC19 : shooting the right door cap can crash the game (FD tile must be 'vertical', not 'shot block' type)
- 7DDC4 : morph tunnel door transition gets you out of bounds

mccad

Quote from: Metaquarius on August 04, 2017, 10:47:07 AM
[spoiler]The sunken lab quickly turns into a 'find the random bomb/slot block' fest, made worse by the fact you can barely see anything in those dark rooms. Also there are Metroids so with max 2 ET, getting caught means death in most cases. Some neat ideas here and there though.[/spoiler]

Also bug reports :
- 7DC19 : shooting the right door cap can crash the game (FD tile must be 'vertical', not 'shot block' type)
- 7DDC4 : morph tunnel door transition gets you out of bounds

I'll make sure to take a look at that. I appreciate the feedback, thank you!

Dynastyx

I'm not sure what to do anymore. I found an item in the sunken lab [spoiler]supers[/spoiler] and now I'm not sure where to go or how these are supposed to help me progress. Any hint?

Edit: Found another item, will see how much further I can get this time.

Edit 2: Finished it. Pretty fun overall, though it is a bit too dark in the sunken lab to see where to go.

Steel Sparkle

nice to see a new hack added. Good job.

LiquidDreams

This looks right up my alley. The images and description sure are interesting.

piush

I just started playing this. Seems ok so far. The darkness is a little hard so I turned off transparency effects by pressing number 9 on the keyboard in snes. It brightens everything up.

advancedpillow

First off, great job. As a first hack this is a great effort.

I like the darkness, especially in the underwater area. The bioluminescent creatures were cool. But the darkness in the Sunken Lab was an issue for me. I couldn't tell what color the doors were.

And as far as a major bug: after you defeat Draygon, collecting the power bomb, I looped back through its room again. The water was gone and it wasn't dark anymore. Exited into where I collected the power bomb, used one to blast through the floor again, and exited the bottom left door, noticing there was no more water in the room. The bottom-left exit put me in a random map room, with two statue kraids on either side. I was out of bounds though. And the exit timer counted down until my death.