News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

anybody wanna playtest my hack?

Started by jewelediris, June 17, 2017, 05:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jewelediris

I'd apreciate anybody whod be interested in playtesting and/or streaming my hack.  I'd like some feedback.  I've had no one but myself to playtest it to make sure everything works.  I've been working on it for about a year and a half, slowly learning how to do things in smile by myself mostly and what I can understand from the tutorial videos.

Upon Reading your feedback I've attempted to fix the errors you brought up.  the error in wall jumping above the landing site has been fixed.  I went through the entire game except Maridia hunting down tile errors, screenshotting them so I would know exactly where they were to fix them.

So here is the updated version.  I also attempted to fix some of the map errors.  Please continue to let me know if you find any other errors.
Update:

FelixWright

no pics no clicks. Please add screenshots before anyone downloads this patch.

jewelediris

how do I post pics?  it won't let me attach them

TheAnonymousUser

Quote from: jewelediris on June 18, 2017, 12:57:54 AM
how do I post pics?  it won't let me attach them
There are a number of image hosting sevices: dropbox and imgur are the 2 main ones I can think of off the top of my head (although I can't remember if imgur allows embedding again, because it stopped for some time.) Upload your screenies to one, and then link them, or embed them into the post using [img] (preferably embed)

If you're using dropbox, it helps to change the "dl=0" at the end of the link to "raw=1"

jewelediris

update up at the top

jewelediris

ahhh ok thats very useful to know, thank you AnonymousUser

UDtheAesir

Nice pics. I'll try to playtest your hack soon.

Retroo

Played until Phantoon, this is more like a half-hack. Some rooms look bad honestly, Brinstar looks quite good do. You might want to look at the Crateria room over the red brinstar elevator. I had fun

jewelediris

Yeah this hack is far from finished

dewhi100

Biggest thing I noticed was the map. Some rooms are in the wing place, and some don't have the "item dot". Examples: missile pack 2, in blue brinstar, and the room off of crateria main street.

jewelediris

thank you dewhi100, keep me informed of any other map errors that you may find

dewhi100

Another thing, the skrees in the room west of landing site are screwed up. Maybe the enemy GFX pointer needs to change.

UDtheAesir

All right, well, this is a pretty good hack. Plenty of errors starting from the landing zone. Upper left corner of the zone, if you walljump all the way to the top, you scroll up through the bottom of the screen. There's plenty of black tiles where the bombable blocks are in the upper left tunnel and the tunnel entrance to Lower Norfair. Personally, I'd recommend restoring the Kihunters where they used to be to save you the enemy GFX pointer headache, makes for a good challenge anyway instead of the Skrees west of the landing zone and the Reos in the tunnel to the Spore Spawn. Now for Spore Spawn, I had managed to get Super Missiles pretty easily before getting to it, but the thing seems largely immune to them, all 20 of what I had collected so far at that point. There's ALOT of sequence breaking apart from the strange item progression, I was able to nab the Plasma Beam halfway through my exploration of Norfair so I look forward to PWNing Crocomire when I resume further playtesting. I like the hack, really. The item progression's rather something and the level design's pretty good. Oh yeah, there's like at least two corrupted save rooms, one in Crateria and another in Norfair next to the bubble chamber. I'll keep an eye out for any more of those and anything else I find.

jewelediris

I am moving Spore Spawn to Maridia.  I just havent done it yet.  I made spore Spawn less vunerable to missles and vunerable to Wave/Spazer or Wave/Plasma.  thanks for reminding me.  I need to block off that door

jewelediris

UDAsir, I did want to keep this hack very open ended, as in you can take multiple paths, get items in whatever order you want.  I wanted it to be more open ended and less linear

jewelediris

when you say there are corrupted save rooms, do you mean they don't save or the room looks funky.  I don't know how that happened actually.

I'm taking notes on all the feedback people are giving me.  Thank all of you for your feedback

jewelediris

I'm not sure why the floor door to the right of the ship is doing what its doing.  This is how the room is set up.

UDtheAesir

Quote from: jewelediris on June 19, 2017, 03:58:10 PM
when you say there are corrupted save rooms, do you mean they don't save or the room looks funky.  I don't know how that happened actually.

I'm taking notes on all the feedback people are giving me.  Thank all of you for your feedback

They look funky. My apologies for not clearing that up in the first place.

jewelediris

Quote from: UDtheAesir on June 19, 2017, 11:12:01 PM

They look funky. My apologies for not clearing that up in the first place.

what happened was I redesigned the save rooms in brinstar and for some reason it affected other save rooms but not all of them, and I don't know why it would have had any effect on other save rooms but....  so I dunno
I resdesigned this one, and for some reason it affected others, but most of them it did not affect

UDtheAesir

I understand. I think there was a similar issue in another thread, too lazy to find it for you. Something about linked save rooms. Anyway, found a critical permastuck and a stranded issue all in one room that made me stop playing for now. https://www.dropbox.com/s/h1lc4sno447i3qo/Super%20Metroid%20Nostalgia000.png?dl=0 Hope that link works. Otherwise I can try to insert the image on this message. Not exactly forum-savvy. But the stranded issue part, I ended up going through a piece of ground that led me to that permastuck. When I was trying to find a way back down to the door, it was all solid blocks, no way through for me to resume my trek towards Maridia. Wrecked Ship has a rather interesting map layout, was this intentional? Because above the main shaft is blocked off and the map for that area is pretty much silver blocks. Another thing are the weird red and black tiles in the western shaft of the Wrecked Ship to the other side of Crateria.

FPzero

I haven't played the hack but the save room issue is most likely caused by the fact that in vanilla SM many of the save rooms use the same level data pointer to save space. This means that many save rooms are exact copies of one another and so editing one of them will edit many of them. You can get around this by assigning each save room its own level data pointer in some part of the free space.

jewelediris

Quote from: UDtheAesir on June 20, 2017, 01:41:00 AM
I understand. I think there was a similar issue in another thread, too lazy to find it for you. Something about linked save rooms. Anyway, found a critical permastuck and a stranded issue all in one room that made me stop playing for now. https://www.dropbox.com/s/h1lc4sno447i3qo/Super%20Metroid%20Nostalgia000.png?dl=0 Hope that link works. Otherwise I can try to insert the image on this message. Not exactly forum-savvy. But the stranded issue part, I ended up going through a piece of ground that led me to that permastuck. When I was trying to find a way back down to the door, it was all solid blocks, no way through for me to resume my trek towards Maridia. Wrecked Ship has a rather interesting map layout, was this intentional? Because above the main shaft is blocked off and the map for that area is pretty much silver blocks. Another thing are the weird red and black tiles in the western shaft of the Wrecked Ship to the other side of Crateria.

ooh dang.  I didn't know that could happen.  I'lll see what I can do.  yeah a lot of the wrecked ship got messed up so I just decided to scrap it.  I like it smaller anyway I think.

jewelediris

ok I've attempted to fix all the issues that were brought to my attention.
Here is the update:

UDtheAesir

Gave that new version a quick run, the Crateria save room still looks funky and the upper left tunnel towards the energy tank still has black tiles where the original bomb blocks in the vanilla ROM is. I'll post any more if I find any when I continue onward tomorrow or something when I have the time.