News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

SM Ascent

Started by benox50, June 11, 2017, 01:56:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benox50

Edit 16/6/2017

Yo, the Demo period is over, I collected enough feedbacks. People with demo, keep it for yourself. Stay tuned for complete version !

About the hack itself. This is a full hack of SM. It will use all rooms from SM and maybe more. This hack is shaped like a tower where each submaps (3 zones), are stacked on top of each other in a linear way. However each 3 zones are exploration based. Its your duty to start from bottom to reach the surface and escape the depths. So this give a general sense of direction to the player. There is a warp area to help fast navigation. There is many patches used, I will give credit in the edited ending of the final product. This hack end after Kraid for now.

Pictures  :^_^:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Blade

Those Screenshoots are looking very promising, good job with that.
But I think I'm gonna wait till you are finished, cause I like to play the game with a first playthrough experience

Anyway happy hacking finishing this^^

Steel Sparkle

Damn that looks good. keep it up! something i will definitely play when it's done :3

Mayo-chan

This hack is really good! Really like the visual design going on, all it really needs it a bit more polish (and some way to tell you that you can jump as a ball). Can't wait for the finished version.

Jordan5

Quote from: Mayo-chan on June 11, 2017, 11:03:58 PM
This hack is really good! Really like the visual design going on, all it really needs it a bit more polish (and some way to tell you that you can jump as a ball). Can't wait for the finished version.

[spoiler]it's semi-common for hacks to make it so that hi-jump gives you spring ball, I just immediately tried it out and it worked (plus with the bomb mechanic, spring ball is handy so I was curious)[/spoiler]

andlabs

Quote from: benox50 on June 11, 2017, 01:56:44 PMYou could never come back to a previous zone, but you can and there is a warp area to help fast navigation.
Um... which half of this sentence is correct?

[spoiler]Is the transition between the last of the intro images back to Samus's face supposed to not fade out completely? It doesn't, at least not in bsnes 080. The game doesn't crash, but it sure seems like it...

OH MY GOD THAT SHOT SOUND EFFECT I CAN'T STOP LAUGHING

Is there supposed to be a delay before a door you just went through closes? That seems like an interesting idea, so long as enemies don't immediately knock you back and wind up playing ping pong with the door transitions... which would be amusing for a while at least =P

Norfair palette looks cool; Norfair having to be turned on is also cool. But is Norfair supposed to turn on after leaving the first room, no matter what you do? I don't have to actually collect Morph Ball or Bombs to activate it; I just have to enter those rooms and leave them...

Are the red doors in the first room supposed to return to being red doors after leaving and re-entering the room?

Was I supposed to have destroyed the Morphing Ball statue with a bomb? It destroyed itself the next time I entered the room...

Was bomb jumping supposed to be completely removed, or just straight-up bomb jumping? I can still jump sideways.

Really liking the palettes in this Norfair area; gives me a Mr. Hiryu vibe with a bit of Eris thrown in for good measure.

Being able to kill the platforms with just the beam is interesting.

The spikes in this room seem almost invisible to me... but it may just be me. Is it just me? I can see them NOW that I'm looking for them, but... (And I don't want to ruin the hack or its artistic decisions =P )

[/spoiler]

Will comment more as I continue to make progress (but not with more stupid questions, of course =P ). But I do approve of the hack and its rooms and puzzles so far; nice work!

benox50

Mayo-chan, You are right, the item box will be edited
andlabs, ok I edited the forum thread message

andlabs

All right, cleared Spore Spawn. Quite a few nice surprises in here as well, yes. Will finish the rest later.

[spoiler]What's with the numbers and symbol above the minimap? Is there a time limit?

Botwoon's room still uses Maridia's minimap and it also screws up Maridia's map quite badly. The correct rooms in Norfair are marked as visited, though.

So what exactly are all these, and is there a way I can keep track of how many I have? And is the part underneath the words "WEAPONS DAMAGE" an error?

Are the spikes in this area actually invisible this time, or am I getting damage from an enemy or something else?

Are the blue tiles in the messagebox an error?

Is this background corrupt?

[/spoiler]

Still a good job so far!

dewhi100

[spoiler]1. After I got the morph bombs, the lava started to rise in the starting room! I later died... decided to skip the bombs to keep the lava away. Well, I did a loop and ended up back in the starting room, now it's full of lava. The bombs are way down there underneath it all. Intended, or defect?
2. I'm stuck down in the dungeon, the area with the long hallway of knee-deep water that you can't jump out of, and the room with the rising water and the zebtites and missle refill. The shaft I fell down to get here is too tall for me to jump back out without wall-jumping. Are there any tricks needed to play the hack to completion?
[/spoiler]

andlabs

Quote from: dewhi100 on June 12, 2017, 07:05:02 PM[spoiler]1. After I got the morph bombs, the lava started to rise in the starting room! I later died... decided to skip the bombs to keep the lava away. Well, I did a loop and ended up back in the starting room, now it's full of lava. The bombs are way down there underneath it all. Intended, or defect?[/spoiler]
[spoiler]There's another way down into the bomb room. You'll need to do a well-timed crumble jump (and possibly a wall jump via respin) to get enough height to continue (even if you did get bombs) until you get Hi-Jump Boots. But from what you said later it seems you've already made it there, so just keep exploring and you should find it.[/spoiler]

Quote[spoiler]2. I'm stuck down in the dungeon, the area with the long hallway of knee-deep water that you can't jump out of,[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Uhh, you should be able to jump out of that just fine. Some of the larger blocks are solid.[/spoiler]

Quote[spoiler]and the room with the rising water and the zebtites and missle refill.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]You will have to beat the Zebetites quickly to outrace the water. They don't take too many missiles to destroy here.[/spoiler]

Quote[spoiler]The shaft I fell down to get here is too tall for me to jump back out without wall-jumping. Are there any tricks needed to play the hack to completion?[/spoiler]
[spoiler]You'll need to wall-jump, yes. This hack has respin too. There's also one spot that requires crumble-jumping (as I mentioned earlier, and you don't have to do it anymore once you get Hi-Jump Boots) and another spot that requires a mid-air morph to drop a bomb right under a ceiling.[/spoiler]

andlabs

And now got up to Speed Booster.

[spoiler]Maridia is pretty cool too. I especially like that one room where you're only safe underwater. Also Reflec puzzles that don't suck! Some rooms with lava do make strange noises, though... Also Spider Ball, though there are some rooms where I'm not sure what you're supposed to do with it... at least not yet anyway (is there X-Ray Scope in this game?). And again, interesting puzzles and interesting palettes and especially interesting world combinations =P

Boost Ball is still labelled Spring Ball in the messagebox. It's labelled properly in the pause menu.

Going up through the door shown (from getting the Reserve Tank below) corrupts the scroll. Fortunately it's not a permanent break, though if you don't move quick you will sink into garbage tiles for a few moments and have to blindly un-corrupt everything.

The Crocomire battle is really interesting, especially with that temporary full power thing, but I think he's moving and reacting a bit too fast... I could just be misjudging the difficulty level you're going for in this hack overall, though.[/spoiler]

EDIT Can you explain the mechanics of Speed Booster? Shinespark only seems to work when it wants... Thanks.

jewelediris

this looks awesome!  I'll defenetly play this!

andlabs

And cleared it a few days ago; was waiting to avoid a double post.

[spoiler]Is this item dot on the minimap in the wrong spot? Or did I not aim good and got lucky?

At this screen:

The pause screen shows this:

Is the M an error?

Entering the next room through the door shown will corrupt the scroll. I can get out by moving and shooting blindly to the right.

Entering the doors I am aiming and shooting at land me in places I can't get out of.

The map tiles of these two rooms do not align.

Crossing this door also corrupts the scroll.

I do know I definitely missed some items, but do I have all the Weapons Damage items in the demo? I found 6 total (two in one room in Maridia and the four I posted above).

One of the items I didn't get is the one at the very top of the map below. How do I get it?
[/spoiler]

benox50

Quote from: andlabs on June 18, 2017, 02:09:39 PM

One of the items I didn't get is the one at the very top of the map below. How do I get it?
[spoiler][/spoiler]

[spoiler]There is many ways :D, 1) diagonal bomb jump from the left ledge next to the item 2) Use your shinespark control from the lower room then enter this room while in spark and reach the item 3) simply use tricky walljump 4) BoostBall from the left ledge next to the item, boostball then jump. Its crazy how much stuff you can skip or make easier just by mastering the shinespark control and the BoostBall jump (Boost ball then jump to perform mega leaps) This is why the infinite bomb jump is disable, to force the player of using the new gameplay. Well, the infinite bomb jump will return with the standard bomb jump, but it will have a limit. (The code is broken, but I hope to get it fixed by someone)
[/spoiler]

andlabs

[spoiler]Thanks, but those suggestions make it sound like there should have been an item in plain sight there. I did not see any.[/spoiler]

benox50

Andlabs, ok, indexing issue, I must check all of em and retouch my log to be sure none are the same.

benox50

Looking for testers again, this time testing through the whole hack before release.
Join only if you want to be a tester and dont forget this means being spoiled before release !

https://discord.gg/2Ard8ya

Steel Sparkle

Been looking forward to a new SM hack! Can't wait till you finish testing and it becomes playable. Good luck!

albert v.

That orange area is looking so nice! Nice tilling benox, remember you keeping it that way!