News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid Phazon 0.3 help

Started by trill1996, June 08, 2017, 04:54:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trill1996

I try using LIPS to patch a super metroid rom but every time i try to load it on a SNES emulator it doesnt work. I mostly want it for my phones SNES emulator since its portable and whatnot, can anyone help me on how to patch it correctly becuase im obviously doing something wrong

Quietus

Assuming that you have the correct ROM - an unheadered, clean one, called "Super Metroid (JU) [!].smc", you can do either of the following:

1, Download Lunar IPS, run it, and follow its instructions to physically apply the patch (normally known as hard patching).  Then just load your ROM.
2, Name both your ROM and the patch in the same way, so you have, for example, metroid3.smc and metroid3.ips, and place them in the same folder.  When you load the emulator, it will automatically apply the patch for you, but will not physically change the ROM.  This is normally referred to as soft patching.

Enjoy. :^_^:

If it doesn't work after doind the above, it's likely to do with the version of the emulator, but I'm sure others here have used hacks for mobile gaming.

trill1996

Quote from: Quietus on June 08, 2017, 05:28:22 PM
Assuming that you have the correct ROM - an unheadered, clean one, called "Super Metroid (JU) [!].smc", you can do either of the following:

1, Download Lunar IPS, run it, and follow its instructions to physically apply the patch (normally known as hard patching).  Then just load your ROM.
2, Name both your ROM and the patch in the same way, so you have, for example, metroid3.smc and metroid3.ips, and place them in the same folder.  When you load the emulator, it will automatically apply the patch for you, but will not physically change the ROM.  This is normally referred to as soft patching.

Enjoy. :^_^:

If it doesn't work after doind the above, it's likely to do with the version of the emulator, but I'm sure others here have used hacks for mobile gaming.

Ah thank you, I will try that right now. I do believe I have that rom,  and I think I already tried it the first way with "hard patching" so...yeah. I'll try soft patching now, and see if that works. Sorry about this, it's just I've patched other roms such as GBA roms and whatnot and I've had NO issues what so ever , but I wouldn't call myself a avid hack user so... xD

trill1996

Yeah darn, it didn't work...
Just wondering, with Lunar IPS, I just click Apply IPS Patch, select the IPS patch, then the rom and bam for hard patching right? Should I rename them the same see if that works...?

TheAnonymousUser

Quote from: trill1996 on June 08, 2017, 08:47:30 PM
Just wondering, with Lunar IPS, I just click Apply IPS Patch, select the IPS patch, then the rom and bam for hard patching right? Should I rename them the same see if that works...?
Yea. Hard patching is basically Apply patch -> Select patch -> Select rom (preferably unheadered) -> ??? -> Profit.
You should only need to rename the rom the same as the patch for soft patching (see quietus' post). Hard patching, it doesn't matter what either file name is. Outside of the obvious "check your rom" (never hurts to redownload a headerless rom from somewhere) you might also want to check your emulator. Which emulator(s) are you using, anyway?

trill1996

Quote from: TheAnonymousUser on June 09, 2017, 08:07:48 AM
Quote from: trill1996 on June 08, 2017, 08:47:30 PM
Yea. Hard patching is basically Apply patch -> Select patch -> Select rom (preferably unheadered) -> ??? -> Profit.
You should only need to rename the rom the same as the patch for soft patching (see quietus' post). Hard patching, it doesn't matter what either file name is. Outside of the obvious "check your rom" (never hurts to redownload a headerless rom from somewhere) you might also want to check your emulator. Which emulator(s) are you using, anyway?
Well, I could try to download a rom from somewhere else and patch that (even though the base rom works perfectly fine w.o patch, the one I'm trying to patch). Also I'm using Snes9x EX+ on Android. Could it be that it can't run the hack? (Though Eris 2012, Redesign, Legacy and a few others run fine on it)

Quietus

If it runs those, it's unlikely to be the emulator. For the ROM, there are any number of ROMs that will 'work', but if it's not the correct one, it may just have been luck that's seen you through so far. It won't hurt to try a new one, and it'll only take you a couple of minutes to try.

trill1996

OMFG, SO I GOT ANOTHER COPY OF THE ROM FROM ANOTHER SITE, AND JESUS CHRIST IT WORKED.

Thanks for all the help and sorry for the bother.
I guess lesson for all the hack/patching noobs like myself: IF IT DOESNT WORK WITH ONE ROM, FIND ANOTHER. It will most probably work XD

Jrdnmiracle

Does anyone know if you can go back and get the Red phazon if you already defeated the phantom and sis the lava run?

DonnyDonovan

I don't think so but that may have been earlier version.  Gut is no.   

Jordan5

As far as I can remember, if you defeat phantoon before picking up red phazon then you are locked out from it for a while (I think there's warp station stuff needed to get back?), and a heat run is required later on.