News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

A Few Questions With Mage

Started by DeadSkullzJr, May 10, 2017, 04:28:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeadSkullzJr

First Question:
Mage v0.9.0 came out not too long ago, I am still learning to use it, for the most part I have part of it down easy, one problem I still have is I don't know how to make Samus spawn in a specific place. At the beginning of the game Samus spawns in Brinstar, which of course is still where I want her to spawn, the problem is I decided to rework the room completely, resizing it to what I need and reworking the tile arrangement in the room. The moment I boot up the game I endlessly fall through the ceiling after the intro animation. I couldn't find a way with Mage to set Samus's starting point, any idea where it could be and or how to make this work?

Second Question:
As in my previous question I stated I resized the room and reworked it. Now comes the question, how do I make it so this room sits in a certain spot on the minimap? I did a little test after resizing, the original size of the room is width: 5 (4F) and height: 4 (2C), my new room size is width: 3 (31) and height: 1 (E). Sadly I lost my older edits to the room so I had to redo it with the resized room. Why does my new resized room appear to be floating above the original room by 2 spots on the minimap? Any way I can change this?

Third Question:
I tried to turn the morph ball in Brinstar room 0 into the chozo statue that holds the long beam, problem is every time I try to change it to match the sprite (23) from Brinstar room 5, it messes up. Any idea how to do this as well?

Could somebody PLEASE make video tutorials with Mage, I see a bunch dealing with DoubleHelix (outdated honestly) and none about Mage. Yes I will admit, most of the Mage functions are pretty straight forward which is spectacular but I want to be able to make a full ROM hack, meaning I want to have a better understanding of the entire thing that I am working with.

Side Request:
Can someone make an IPS patch that makes it so Samus uses the fully powered suit at the beginning of the game please? I tried using a hex editor for this and I even asked for help to understand this, I am losing my mind over here. Thank you.

Cpt.Glitch

Id suggest looking around the forum and reading the MAGE docs included in the zip as question 2, 3, and your side request are all already answered or done.

As for question one, to change the X position of her spawn, you must move door 0. Her X position is linked to the X position of door 0, so just move that where you want her X. As for Y, go to this offset in a Hex editor. 0x606CC The Y postion is determined with 2 bytes like so; (64n - 1) with n being your Y position in Blocks. (this can be seen in mage).

A fullsuit ASM patch is here http://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php/topic,145.msg58211.html#msg58211
Download armips to apply it to your rom.

DeadSkullzJr

Quote from: Cpt.Glitch on May 10, 2017, 04:58:17 PM
Id suggest looking around the forum and reading the MAGE docs included in the zip as question 2, 3, and your side request are all already answered or done.

As for question one, to change the X position of her spawn, you must move door 0. Her X position is linked to the X position of door 0, so just move that where you want her X. As for Y, go to this offset in a Hex editor. 0x606CC The Y position is determined with 2 bytes like so; (64n - 1) with n being your Y position in Blocks. (this can be seen in mage).

A fullsuit ASM patch is here http://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php/topic,145.msg58211.html#msg58211
Ok so I got everything else down, figured out how to change the sprites and fix the minimap positions. I got the X position down, now the Y position is where I am currently stuck, I did exactly what you said, I searched for the offset 0x606CC with HxD (probably not the right hex editor to be using) and got this:

I don't know what to do now.

The location I want Samus to start at is where the red square is at, as seen here:

X=18 and Y=9 (hopefully that's what you meant in terms of Y coordinates of the block)

biospark

You need to go to that offset, not search for it. You'll want to stand on top of block 10 (0xA in hex), so 10 * 64 - 1 = 639 (0x027F in hex). Therefore, you'll need to replace the two bytes at that offset with 7F 02.

And HxD is actually a pretty good hex editor.

alexman25

That's true. Youtube tutorials on MAGE would be pretty helpful. I guess I'll make some!

DeadSkullzJr

Quote from: Cpt.Glitch on May 10, 2017, 04:58:17 PM
The patch worked, quick question though, why does Samus look like she has the Varia suit on even though she doesn't actually have it on...I have seen many videos where someone was playing as Samus in the fully powered suit but yellow. That's what I am looking for, a patch that enables the ability to use the fully powered suit allowing the use of unknown items of course AND have the correct suit palette colors for all three suits.

If you use the Menu hack and toggle Varia and Gravity suit off you will see that the power suit is actually yellow the way its supposed to be.

EDIT: Found a fix.

Cpt.Glitch

Hmm, might just be an issue with what I did to fix the palette error Unknown items patch causes. If it breaks again even after your fix, I can probably fix that for you.

DeadSkullzJr

Quote from: Cpt.Glitch on May 10, 2017, 11:44:03 PM
Hmm, might just be an issue with what I did to fix the palette error Unknown items patch causes. If it breaks again even after your fix, I can probably fix that for you.
I toggled the menu hack, that fixed it. now I start with the correct palette powered suit. You can see the issue by applying the asm patch alone with a clean copy of zero mission.

Cpt.Glitch

Okay. If you remove this from the code, it'll show the correct palette regardless. However if you use Biospark's unknown items patch, that part is needed.

.org 0x800B554 ;shows correct palette with unknown items patch. Comment if that patch isnt on the ROM
cmp r1,#0x1

DeadSkullzJr

Now I have a complicated question to ask, how would I go about making the normal beam into the long beam without actually having the long beam upgrade? Or is that impossible?

Cpt.Glitch

You could Make the player start with long beam. There is a patch for starting with items on the same thread linked earlier.

DeadSkullzJr

I think I may have found a bug in Mage. I was trying to use the doors from Chozodia in Brinstar, but when I view the Chozodia tile table the doors look the same as the other areas outside of Chozodia. Is that supposed to happen??

Cpt.Glitch

There is a checkbox that needs to be set. "Set Mothership" or something like that. The document likely explains it.

DeadSkullzJr

Now I am trying to use water from Crateria in Brinstar. I tried to do a little test to raise the water to where I wanted it but for some reason I am unable to edit the water and how high it should be. Any idea how to edit the water?

DeadSkullzJr

Quote from: Cpt.Glitch on May 18, 2017, 08:26:21 AM
There is a checkbox that needs to be set. "Set Mothership" or something like that. The document likely explains it.
I found an option to set the door type to "Set Mothership" when editing a door, and I tested it, I couldn't open the door at all AND the door tileset didn't change to look like the Mothership doors. Any idea what's up?

Cpt.Glitch

The doors won't change in the tileset, they will change in game just fine. As for the water question, the document covers room effects. Did you check there? It's under the header editor under the Y effect position. You'll then have to move the BG0 GFX to match your new height.

biospark

Quote from: DeadSkullzJr on May 18, 2017, 01:41:01 AM
I think I may have found a bug in Mage. I was trying to use the doors from Chozodia in Brinstar, but when I view the Chozodia tile table the doors look the same as the other areas outside of Chozodia. Is that supposed to happen??

Mother ship doors are determined by the door type. Because of this, MAGE cannot predict when a room will use the mother ship doors or normal doors. Also, doors that set mother ship graphics cannot be hatches.