News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Room of the Month - April 2017

Started by Daltone, March 09, 2017, 02:04:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who made the Room of the Month?

Daltone
6 (28.6%)
benox50
6 (28.6%)
Jefe962
9 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Daltone

[spoiler][spoiler=for real the secrets n stuff if you look at it it becomes spoiled][/spoiler][/spoiler]

edit: fixed it up a bit

Quietus

I really like that room, Daltone. The only suggestion I'd make is to make a few changes to the greenery hanging down between all of the pipes at the bottom, as well as some of the filler tiles above, as both areas have a little too much regularity, and it's edging toward looking like copy / pasta.

Daltone

Do you mean the slime? or the yellow pipe stuff? or the plants off the blue rock?
thanks bud

Quietus

I thought a pic would be easier. :^_^:

The green box is the repeated line part, and the red box is the repetitive tiles I was on about. The latter could likely be part remedied by a flip here and there.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

benox50

Staying with purple then addin some Orange and Grey:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Quietus

I like the room, but I had to look twice at the doors on the left, thinking: "Don't the doors go all screwy when you don't have them centred within a scroll area?" :^_^:

Jiffy

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Looking at Quote and Dman to deliver something to counter this.

Quietus

I believe that sound you all hear is the sound of a gauntlet being thrown down. :razz:

dewhi100

Quote from: Quietus on March 09, 2017, 08:14:05 PM
I like the room, but I had to look twice at the doors on the left, thinking: "Don't the doors go all screwy when you don't have them centred within a scroll area?" :^_^:

Can you elaborate? I've drawn out a room with a doors near the top and bottom of scrolls, and one other door on two separate scrolls. Do I have to scrap all that? What happens when the doors aren't centered?

Quietus

It's been a while since this has been discussed, as it was always one of those 'golden rules', but I've done a quick test to confirm my suspicions, which is that you encounter a scrolling error during the transition, and you end up disappearing / getting permastuck. Sorry! :neutral:

squishy_ichigo

Now, Quietus isn't actually a hacker, and most people /always/ center the doors so it may not be common knowledge.

He is correct you do not want to have a door that is on more than one screen, it will do as he described.

But you /can/ use non centered doors, if the entire door is on one screen, however you will need to manually set the doorcap x/y in the door editor, so the doorcap spawns in the correct location.

benox50's room is fine, as long as he corrects the doorcaps.

Quietus

Quote from: squishy_ichigo on March 14, 2017, 10:45:42 AMBut you /can/ use non centered doors, if the entire door is on one screen, however you will need to manually set the doorcap x/y in the door editor, so the doorcap spawns in the correct location.
Ah, I suspected that might be possible. Thanks, squishy. :^_^:

dewhi100

Good info. I think I'll be able to get away with shifting my scrolls up a couple squares in that case. Crisis averted. Edit: new question. Can I have a door at x=3 in a scroll connect to a door at x=6 (for example) in the other scroll?

benox50

Yes, you can have a door tile anywhere on a scroll boundary, avoid the corners tho. Dewhi100, you can set the x or y differently but you will be misaligned  :pwuh:

Its getting offtopic now  :<_<:

Jiffy

No more entries? :(
Also, Daltone, your image broke. Before Thursday I'd recommend you reupload your image before it's lost, and I've automatically won this month. :p

FPzero

I think Daltone probably was hosting the images on Dropbox and when they removed their Public links a couple weeks ago all of the embeds broke. I bet all our the RotM archives are basically just broken image archives now.

I'd enter but I only have older images from the last hack I was working on. At some point one of my carefully-built tilesets corrupted and it kind of sapped my will to continue. Maybe I'll have to see if someone can help me uncorrupt it (though I'd probably just need to restore a backup some who knows how long ago) because I was really enjoying building that hack.

There were a few good rooms I built I'd love to share here but the rules mention no old projects or stuff made before the current month so hopefully someone else comes along with some competition.

Daltone

yup totally forgot about it

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Vismund Cygnus

It's my birthday and I'm about to go out so I gotta be lickity split about this:
[spoiler=Daltone][/spoiler]
[spoiler=benox50][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Jefe962][/spoiler]
Do the vote, submit in the other thread, you know the drill by now. Good luck competitors!

Quietus

All rooms were pretty even this month. I liked the random-but-neat look of benox's room, though those purple bricks clash a bit; Jefe's is well built, but it all looks a bit straight for my tastes; and Daltone's room is generally good, but seems to have a lot of dead space in the middle. This probably wouldn't be as bad if the background was more varied.

Anyway, Dalton gets my vote this month. :^_^:

Quote58

I'm really excited to play whatever benox50 is making because it looks so colourful and fun to walk through, but I dig the aesthetic of jiffy's room way more. Also the purple squares in the bottom left look really out of place and the squares that have purple on them presumably not on purpose are also off putting. But that background is rad.
Daltone's looks really good but just not as visually interesting as jiffy's.

Vismund Cygnus

For me this week it's Benox, who's room is by far the most visually interesting. Nice creative use of layering, and purdy colours. Not sure about those random purple blocks down the bottom, but everything else is pretty cool.
Daltone and Jefe both have nice, well-structured rooms, but nothing in particular stands out, either good or bad, in either.

Daltone

my boat goes to jefe, kewl tile set stuff, hopefully hes got all the scrolls set up proper so it doesnt look silly, he seems like a smart kid.
benox's room is pretty good too. keep it up!

benox50

Jiff got my vote cause its interesting and green + pink is great, well just green is great anyway.