News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Metroid:Deep Freeze

Started by Cpt.Glitch, March 22, 2017, 12:40:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cpt.Glitch

Deep Freeze 1.4
I bring to you Deep Freeze 1.4! This was a contest entry (and winner) for the 2017 Winter Hacking Contest. This is hopefully the final version of the game unless there are bugs that I have missed. 1.4 has lots of changes from 1.2 including but not limited to:

• New Rooms
  • Scaled End Percent
  • More Items
  • Modified Escape
  • And More!!

The hack is relatively short, and can be beaten easily under an hour on the first playthrough. Shouldn't be too challenging as items are plentiful and enemies aren't ridiculously tough. There are 8 ending images, and they are worth getting! If you find any bugs feel free to let me know, and rate the hack here after you have played it! Have fun!

[spoiler=STORY:] The Space Pirates and Ridely flash freeze an unknown planet. Though their intentions are not fully known, Samus gets word of their actions and sets out to end them. Her intentions however, are known. She simply stated before
she left for the planet, "I'm bored and want to kill things." Seems noble.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=CREDITS:]
Cpt.Glitch: Hack Author/ASM
Biospark: Creator of MAGE/ASM
FelixWright: Beta Testing/Ending Image
ShyGuy: Ending Image
Quote58: Ending Image
Physix: "Snow Caverns" Tileset
Interdpth: General Assistance [/spoiler]

[spoiler=SPOILERS/NOTES]Required Items and Bosses:
ITEMS:
Hi-Jump
Morph
Bombs
Super Missiles
Speedbooster
Missiles

BOSSES:
Imago
Mecha-Ridely
Black Space Pirates Guarding Gate

All other items/bosses are un-needed but help.
Try to get every ending!

IMPORTANT NOTES:
There are 52 items. You start with 2 of them.
Black Pirates are weak to Missiles.
Normal Missiles are buffed.
Super Missile fire rate is slowed for balance.
Beams fire slightly faster.
Having all beams gives a large damage boost.
There's an easter egg room. A quick look around will ensure you find it.
If Mecha is too hard, get more items. It is the final boss after all.
All difficulty modes work. Insane mode is quite the challenge. I wouldn't suggest it.
Low% is also quite the thing, go for it if you want some new ending images.
Shinespark puzzle not required to beat the game.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Screenshots]
[/spoiler]

EDIT: Micro-update that fixes 2 bugs. 1 is a perma-stuck caused by stubborn players going to an area I poorly blocked off. (thanks MST.) Number 2 is the Varia Suit GFX bug. (Credit to biospark for that). Enjoy.

Steel Sparkle

makazuwr32

Completed, 98% item collection on insane difficulty.
intresting and not so hard even on insane difficulty.
But really really icy. and i thought "when those frozen mobs will become alive?"... that they will not become alive was a little bit dissapointing.

Cpt.Glitch

That was going to a feature originally, but I had scrapped the idea. Mainly due to time constraints, also due to a lack of knowledge at the time. I could easily do it now, but I'd rather work on a full hack now rather than change up this one more. I hope you enjoyed it though.

makazuwr32

it was intresting because i didn't know enviroment entirely - the map is completly different from original and also icy) and this what i enjoyed mostly in this hack.

Paulinho

I'll give it a try

edit: Really cool the idea, the scenario is beautiful.. but i was a bit disappointed. I was exploring the first map and then, 'wow, ice beam cool'. Then i come back and it's the final boss of the game. I'll give it another try to explore more and get the full suit...

The way i see this, the scenario and enemies are too good for a game that can be finished in 23 minutes with 59% item collected

Cpt.Glitch

That's a good thing yes? Being a contest hack, it could only be so large as I had a month to make it. There were a lot more ideas planned including the unfreezing of enemies and even a second area, but they had to be scrapped. :(

Paulinho

Quote from: Cpt.Glitch on April 12, 2017, 11:40:38 AM
That's a good thing yes? Being a contest hack, it could only be so large as I had a month to make it. There were a lot more ideas planned including the unfreezing of enemies and even a second area, but they had to be scrapped. :(

Of course, your hack is awesome. Why don't you change the other areas and make a bigger game? Unfreezing the enemies would be cool too, but you'd have to make some story event to justify a meltdown in the planet don't? Something like in fusion, when the scenarios change every time. It would be awesome too, but if you just make more areas and make a bigger game it will be ok.. the original ZM can be done in 2 hours (new players of course), if you can turn your hack into a 1:30 ~ 2:00 gametime play would be amazing... also, make something that requires the player to have the ice suit would be very cool too, this suit is so cool to be unnecessary to beat the game.
You could include mother brain and torian, also. Put metroids in other rooms, put space pirates in tourian, there are many possibilities and you don't need have to change the layout of these rooms for example like you did in brinstar.
Just some ideas  :lol:

Cpt.Glitch

Some good ideas in there. I'm not sure I'll ever expand or update this particular hack anymore, but I do plan to make a larger, full hack in the future, that follows the same storyline. When that'll be, I'm not sure, probably when MAGE 1.0 is released.

Cpt.Glitch

Micro-update that fixes 2 bugs. 1 is a perma-stuck caused by stubborn players going to an area I poorly blocked off. (thanks MST.) Number 2 is the Varia Suit GFX bug. (Credit to biospark for that). Enjoy.

Ryguy101

I cant get it to work :sad: :cry: :pwuh: :mad:, i clicked on the deepFreeze.zip above and it downloaded but my emulator (VisualBoyAdvance) says that there is no image and that the file is unsupported, please help :?:

Cpt.Glitch

Quote from: Ryguy101 on May 13, 2017, 11:45:33 AM
I cant get it to work :sad: :cry: :pwuh: :mad:, i clicked on the deepFreeze.zip above and it downloaded but my emulator (VisualBoyAdvance) says that there is no image and that the file is unsupported, please help :?:
You have to unzip the file (I'm sure you did), then apply the .ips file to a fresh ZM rom. So, download lunar ips, if you dont have it, open the .ips file in that and apply the patch.

Zarunos

Hey all so I have Visual Boy and mGBA for GBA emulators and for some reason when I download from the link on here for deep freeze it turns into some weird internet icon and can't get it to run . I have tried to zip and rar the files from it but still no luck.  This is what it looks like when I download it. The attachment is below.

Zarunos

So I fallowed the instruction's and still can't get deep freeze to work on the emulator. I used Lunar IPS just like instructed to attach Deep Freeze IPS to the original document which I'm guessing is Metroid Fusion. When I put the original Metroid Fusion into the emulator it says unsupported files.

personitis

Checking the screenshots, it seems Deep Freeze is a hack of Zero Mission, not Fusion. Give the process another go except with a Zero Mission ORM this time.

This does bring up a good point though that, with the release of MAGE, people should properly denote which GBAtroid their romhack is for.

biospark

Quote from: personitis on August 16, 2017, 11:12:06 PM
This does bring up a good point though that, with the release of MAGE, people should properly denote which GBAtroid their romhack is for.

Well this is in the Metroid: Zero Mission forum, so I think it should be obvious enough.

personitis

Quote from: biospark on August 16, 2017, 11:33:26 PM
Well this is in the Metroid: Zero Mission forum, so I think it should be obvious enough.
Uh... right. You got me there. Goes to show how much I group the two games together. :lol:

Zarunos

LMAO wow I totally didn't notice it was for zero mission haha whoops I'll try again. (biggest blond moment ever)!

Zarunos

Ok so if I got this right with lunar ips and select apply IPS patch, then I select the Deep Freeze IPS which looks like the internet icon when extracted, then i select metroid zero mission and I should be done right. If those are the right steps I don't know what I'm doing wrong cause I keep getting the same thing.

Zarunos

Thank you I got it to work I was attaching the file to the wrong zero mission file. Thanks all for the help.

Cpt.Glitch

Glad you got it working my dude.

Zarunos

Ok so I feel like I beet the game to early do you get space jump at all?

Cpt.Glitch

[spoiler]Every major item is in the hack. There are 52 items total I believe, including the items you start with.[/spoiler]

Zarunos

I love that get good room lmao I was like sweet all these items (blah)  :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: