News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Boot Engine (Alpha Release) - GameMaker: Studio

Started by Scooterboot9697, March 09, 2017, 08:52:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quietus

Quote from: SirAileron on May 15, 2017, 05:43:57 PM
That's the sound effect from Other M's Speed Booster.
It's no wonder I didn't recognise it. I played through that game once, just to say I had, and haven't touched it since. :^_^:

liamnajor

Quote from: Quietus on May 16, 2017, 12:07:44 PM
Quote from: SirAileron on May 15, 2017, 05:43:57 PM
That's the sound effect from Other M's Speed Booster.
It's no wonder I didn't recognise it. I played through that game once, just to say I had, and haven't touched it since. :^_^:
while I will admit other m had nice assets, I couldn't finish it(for obvious reasons). I'll defend the assets any day, but the game itself is not worth defending.

MBT808

Been searching for something to use for my project, I'm going to try this out, hopefully It might work for it. Demo was good I have to say, got some really nice features showcased.

DestroyerOfAglets

Quote from: MBT808 on May 20, 2017, 07:35:13 PM
Been searching for something to use for my project, I'm going to try this out, hopefully It might work for it. Demo was good I have to say, got some really nice features showcased.

Can we use this to make our own fangames?

Scooterboot9697

Well, it's not exactly intended for that (mostly due to lack of documentation and the like), but you're free to do so.

SCIPCION

Hi Scooterboot9697, i'm very interesting in your work, is really awesome!!!
I want to help with graphics (tiles, statues, trees, vehicles and more, much more!), I'm good with 3ds max, and this is a simple example of my skills:

(I dont know the sizes of the tiles or other graphics)

for more info about my work, check my signature (my projects)

cheers and good luck....

Hackmi

Alright, I think I found a room glitch:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/290125921640513536/322064283871608833/BootEngineGlitch1.gif

IDK, you may have fixed it after the last download.
Good luck, I hope you make a swag, lit dope game with all this.

Ozzatron

Can confirm, starting a spark in a vertical doorway (even if you are sparking vertically!) will softlock the game.

samusfan

This is what I got, after about 4 weeks of messing around with your engine and trying to get into GML.

So welcome to the Arkus Space Station...
[spoiler]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9u1cp7hYMs[/spoiler]

I implemented:

• Samus can talk, triggered by a "story block" in the room
  • Space Pirates (they seem to work quiet good now)
  • Ceres Ridley (the ai isn't very good but it works, also he has no tail yet)
  • Ceres Doors (they have some small isuess but ok)
  • Escape Sequence
  • Escape Timer
  • Escape Steam
  • Some Pickups like the Long Beam, small and big health
I have animated all the pickups but they are not implemented yet.

Scooter pm me if you want the source but many things are written in German...
I will not upload anything without your permission.

Scooterboot9697

Quote from: samusfan on June 11, 2017, 11:10:53 AM[spoiler]
This is what I got, after about 4 weeks of messing around with your engine and trying to get into GML.

So welcome to the Arkus Space Station...
[spoiler]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9u1cp7hYMs[/spoiler]

I implemented:

• Samus can talk, triggered by a "story block" in the room
  • Space Pirates (they seem to work quiet good now)
  • Ceres Ridley (the ai isn't very good but it works, also he has no tail yet)
  • Ceres Doors (they have some small isuess but ok)
  • Escape Sequence
  • Escape Timer
  • Escape Steam
  • Some Pickups like the Long Beam, small and big health
I have animated all the pickups but they are not implemented yet.

Scooter pm me if you want the source but many things are written in German...
I will not upload anything without your permission.
[/spoiler]
So someone actually made something with my engine...
This is pretty impressive. There are a few issues obviously, but it just needs some polish. The Space Pirates seem great.

If some things are written in German, I don't think I'd be able to use it lol. Plus, most of the stuff you've done I want to eventually make myself anyway because this whole project is a learning experience for me.
You're free to upload it if you want to. All I really expect is to be credited.

Quote from: SCIPCION on May 26, 2017, 08:26:26 PM[spoiler]
Hi Scooterboot9697, i'm very interesting in your work, is really awesome!!!
I want to help with graphics (tiles, statues, trees, vehicles and more, much more!), I'm good with 3ds max, and this is a simple example of my skills:

(I dont know the sizes of the tiles or other graphics)

for more info about my work, check my signature (my projects)

cheers and good luck....
[/spoiler]
(The tile size is 16x16 pixels.)
Your stuff looks pretty cool, and I could definitely use help with graphics and stuff. Although, I want to keep it retro (16-bit-esque), and it seems like the stuff you make is much more higher definition (which is cool, but it's not the style I'm going for).

Have you ever tried making something retro? It would be awesome if you could.

(If I sound picky, sorry)

Quote from: Ozzatron on June 10, 2017, 09:58:19 AM
Can confirm, starting a spark in a vertical doorway (even if you are sparking vertically!) will softlock the game.
(I swear I've seen this bug reported to me about 4 times.)

Easy fix. I just need to get around to actually fixing it.

samusfan

Quote from: Scooterboot9697 on June 11, 2017, 01:06:51 PM
There are a few issues obviously, but it just needs some polish. The Space Pirates seem great.

Yeah, a lot of issues... But for now I will focus on progression. If I will ever finish this, then I will try to fix them at the very end.

Okay. I will keep that in mind if this will ever reach a release candidate state someday.

Thanks for your feedback  :^_^:

Hackmi

Quote from: samusfan on June 11, 2017, 02:13:50 PM
There are a few issues obviously, but it just needs some polish. The Space Pirates seem great.

Yeah, a lot of issues... But for now I will focus on progression. If I will ever finish this, then I will try to fix them at the very end.

Okay. I will keep that in mind if this will ever reach a release candidate state someday.

Thanks for your feedback  :^_^:

Damn it, someone else is using someone else's engine, and they actually make good stuff, me sad :(
Bro, that looks good. Lol at me not being bothered to make any ai for months.

samusfan

First I understood absolutely nothing but after some trying and learning the syntax of GML I can edit things now. That wasn't so hard because I already knew C# and C.

One thing I will mind editing are Samus' physics. This is for the moment to complex to edit and I will leave that as it is. The only thing I added is an "Elevator State", so Samus can enter the Ship to travel into space. The HUD also disappeares in this state.

This video will show you the inside of the Gunship.
[spoiler]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs9pR2fuYUA[/spoiler]
The objects there have no function for now, but the next step is adding a solar system map to allow her to dynamically travel to the different planets in the solar system. This is one very important thing for me!
The solar system and it's planets are already designed. I just need to program the boardcomputer to let her select the planet she want's to land on.

Thanks Hackmi, I used your Gunship in my project if you don't mind.

Quote from: Hackmi on June 16, 2017, 03:53:41 PM
Lol at me not being bothered to make any ai for months.

Yeah, this will be the most difficult part to do but I want to program it anyway by myself.
And one thing I can say for true: Don't expect exact SM boss behavior!

Quietus

@samusfan

I am assuming English isn't your first language, so this is just a note for your intro text: There are a few instances of "it's" in your text, but in English the possessive form of 'it' is just 'its', with no apostrophe. :^_^:

Otherwise, the intro is nice - mainly for being different.

Scooterboot9697

Your project seems like it's coming along nicely. Maybe you could make a separate development thread for it? :^_^:

Samus's physics code is kind of a mess, I know. :lol: And the inside of the ship looks nice, although it looks kinda big...
(Also Hackmi didn't make that ship sprite. It was made by Physix, and Physix's MEngine is what Hackmi is using.)

I wish you the best of luck in your project.

---

On another note, to everyone, progress on this project has been slow (or temporarily halted) as I'm currently working on a Metroid Mod for a game called Terraria. I've been working on both the mod and this project at once, although the mod has taken a higher priority lately. Every once and awhile I intend to switch my priority back and fourth to kind of balance my work between both projects.

samusfan

Yes, that's true I should open an own thread now because this is getting to much here right now...

Quote from: Quietus on June 17, 2017, 07:37:33 AM
I am assuming English isn't your first language, so this is just a note for your intro text: There are a few instances of "it's" in your text, but in English the possessive form of 'it' is just 'its', with no apostrophe. :^_^:
I have fixed the story text now so it makes all sense now, thanks. Yes my first language is German.

Quote from: Scooterboot9697 on June 17, 2017, 02:37:11 PM
Also Hackmi didn't make that ship sprite. It was made by Physix, and Physix's MEngine is what Hackmi is using.

Ah I see. Well then, thanks go to Physix now.  :^_^:

I wish you the best of luck in your project.

Thank you, your engine is just awesome to work with. It feels so like SM!
And playing it with the PS4-Controller is a lot of fun with its d-pad.

Also good luck with your Terraria mod, this sounds very interesting. Two things at the same time is damn hard so it is good that you decided to halt one thing.

passarbye

On another note, to everyone, progress on this project has been slow (or temporarily halted) as I'm currently working on a Metroid Mod for a game called Terraria. I've been working on both the mod and this project at once, although the mod has taken a higher priority lately. Every once and awhile I intend to switch my priority back and fourth to kind of balance my work between both projects.
do you have a thread on the Terraria forums for this? I liked the last metroid mod for terraria I played, think it was yours. That was years ago at this point though.

Scooterboot9697

Quote from: passarbye on June 18, 2017, 12:31:42 PMdo you have a thread on the Terraria forums for this? I liked the last metroid mod for terraria I played, think it was yours. That was years ago at this point though.
No thread yet. And yeah, it was most likely mine. This is like the 2nd time I've rebooted it for a different mod loader. :colonrightv:

passarbye

Quote from: Scooterboot9697 on June 18, 2017, 04:41:00 PM
No thread yet. And yeah, it was most likely mine. This is like the 2nd time I've rebooted it for a different mod loader. :colonrightv:
I know it's off topic to this thread by now, but since you don't have a new thread:
do you have plans to make the progression integrated with vanilla? in other words, could i run the mod in vanilla Terraria and still have a somewhat balanced gameplay?
I think that would be really cool, but i'll play it either way :nod:

Scooterboot9697

Quote from: passarbye on June 20, 2017, 12:34:47 PMI know it's off topic to this thread by now, but since you don't have a new thread:
do you have plans to make the progression integrated with vanilla? in other words, could i run the mod in vanilla Terraria and still have a somewhat balanced gameplay?
I think that would be really cool, but i'll play it either way :nod:
Yes, progression is planned to be streamlined in with the vanilla progression.

And if you have more questions, send them via PM. :oh:

liamnajor

anyone else wonder what a super metroid remake would be like in boot engine?

MetroidPeter

To be perfectly honest, not very different from the vanilla game, as most of the graphics & game-play are from Super anyway.

By the way, love the engine Scooter, do you plan on putting a version of the engine up with the sounds & particles present in your most recent video on it?

Scooterboot9697

Quote from: MetroidPeter on October 20, 2017, 11:21:29 AM
To be perfectly honest, not very different from the vanilla game, as most of the graphics & game-play are from Super anyway.

By the way, love the engine Scooter, do you plan on putting a version of the engine up with the sounds & particles present in your most recent video on it?
Eventually, when I stop having feature creep. I keep wanting to add cool stuff and sometimes I forget about the important stuff that needs to get done; and then I remember and I have an "oh shit" moment.

There's still a lot of particle effects and sound effects that need to be done; and I plan on actually coding AI for the Space Pirates, cleaning up the other NPCs, and probably adding other types of enemies such as Side Hoppers.

... and as I'm typing this, I'm working on goofy stuff like allowing Samus to do the drop kick that the ninja pirates do (I blame random ideas that spawn on Discord). Scratch that, nothing good came out of that concept. Lol

FPzero

Quote from: Scooterboot9697 on October 20, 2017, 08:07:43 PM
There's still a lot of particle effects and sound effects that need to be done; and I plan on actually coding AI for the Space Pirates, cleaning up the other NPCs, and probably adding other types of enemies such as Side Hoppers.

Speaking of, to what extent are you planning to create and code enemy types? Is your plan to achieve parity with Super Metroid or just to make a few of the more important ones and leave it up to players to code some of the enemies themselves?