News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

MegaMan/Metroid-like-Byte Sized Heroes

Started by thechayed, March 03, 2017, 10:19:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thechayed

Hello modders, artists and creators! :) I'm a huge fan of the Super Metroid franchise, and I just wanted to share a game that I've been working on that's hugely inspired by it, Byte Sized Heroes! It's on Steam Greenlight right now, and I'm really looking forward to knowing what you think about it!
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=875940155

Quietus

Looks pretty well built. It would have been nice to see more actual gameplay in the video rather than features. I'd say it'd certainly grab people's attention more. Also, try not to go overkill with on-screen effects, which seems to be a thing nowadays. Nice, clean visuals. :^_^:

passarbye

interesting!
I like how it looks very similar to MegaMan ZX, those were some of the best MM titles next to the Zero 1-4 series.

thechayed

:grin: Hi! Sorry for taking so long to reply, but I didn't get an email from the website saying I'd been replied to. Anyways, it means a lot to me that people are interested in the game. I've been putting a lot of work into it, and have actually been working on something like it for quite some time. I've always been a big fan of fighting games, and have, in the past, attempted to make a game that pits lots of anime characters against each other, and one where people make their own characters and movesets, like Mujin, but online with online multiplayer.

Anyways, I set out to make BSH originally quite some time ago, originally calling it Byte Man, and it was totally a crappy rip off of MegaMan. After learning A LOT about design and programming over the time working on it, I restarted from scratch, as to focus on making a toolset that would allow for quick and easy development, but also construction of a BIG world. Obviously everything from tile/object placement to scripting and writing is all visual. The bones of the project, as in the dialogue system, split screen, scripting functionality (functions and the like), etc. are already completely ironed out, just gotta finish the editor, and then I can get back to working on adding in characters, vehicles and such.

Anyways, I just wanted to bring some of that info here for anyone interested that may have missed it. Also, I just wanted to share that I have also decided to add a sprint button to the game. It functions as a switch between normal platforming controls and fast running, kind of like a little blue hedgehog. I made it because I'm setting the tilemap system up for vehicular travel as well, and got the idea that it might be cool if one could run all that stuff too.

I'm working a full time job 40/50 hours a week alongside BSH, but I've tried to get as much done as possible. :) Also, if anyone is interested, it'd be super awesome if you could tell your friends about it. It's free, after all, so you lose nothing if you don't think you'll like it.  :nod:

thechayed

PS. MegaMan rip off sprites will soon be removed with my own sprites. I planned on doing this the whole time, as those were mainly placeholders, but people have shown much disapproval of me sharing my game with them still in it. I didn't plan on seeming like a rip off of MegaMan, and the game is intentionally very different. My goal is to make big battle levels/multiplayer matches with physics based combat.

While the game does take a lot of inspiration from MegaMan, it was never my intention to cash in on it's fans. While nobody here has spoken of this, people have shown their dissatisfaction in the past because of it, which is why the game is free. This game isn't being developed to make money. This is my art, and if it takes making it free to be appreciated, I'd gladly take that over losing the respect of the fans I wanted to represent. :P