News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid Hack Preservation

Started by MetroidKat, March 02, 2017, 04:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetroidKat

Hi, this is going to be a long post so get comfortable.

The purpose of this thread is to create a file that preserves the hacks you all have created, along with any relevant and important information regarding these hacks.

Most important rules:

1. If you created a hack, that means you have total control, that means you can opt to not have your hack in this preservation file, or only on certain conditions or only certain files. That's your prerogative and I intend to respect it.

2. If this is not something the community/moderators of this forum would like to see here, please let me know and I will remove/lock this thread. Specially regarding the size of the file and the way to share it.

If all is good then...

What would an ideal preservation contain?

a. The latest hack itself (rom patch .ips file), along with a folder containing previous versions.

b. A read me file / instruction file that ideally contains:
      1. Introduction (the story your hack is telling, what's going on, why is Samus on this adventure, etc.)
      2. Controls (Specially custom moves that are only usable on this hack and how to use them)
      3. Suggested Gaming Order (the order a gamer should follow in order to enjoy your hack fully. This can be pointed out with areas, bosses, power ups, etc.)
      4. Power ups 100% (Which and how many a player needs to reach 100%, plus any additional info you would like to add.)
      5. Installation (Rom file required and if it needs either a header or unheadered version)
      6. Credits and contact info.

c. A map, it could include the location of all items and bosses or not.
d. A couple/lots of screenshots

Here is an image of an example file I created with the info available for the Hyper Metroid hack, so you can see what we would try to accomplish but for all hacks.

The idea would be to post an update every month/quarter or every 10 submissions to keep it both fresh and practical, although that depends on the amount of submissions.

The file could be available either as a direct link, torrent file, or a post to each hack's file whatever is allowed. (There are size limitations on posts done in this forum, maybe we could get some exception regarding size or using links)

Ideally the latest file would always be available attached to this post so you don't need to find it scattered all around the thread.

Thanks for reading and I hope to hear from you.

dewhi100

Are you intending to replicate http://metroidconstruction.com/hacks.php ? I am not understanding the difference.

MetroidKat

Quote from: dewhi100 on March 02, 2017, 05:15:20 PM
Are you intending to replicate http://metroidconstruction.com/hacks.php ? I am not understanding the difference.

That page looks 1000 times better than what I was thinking, you are right.
Just hope there would be a way to persuade developers to post their previous versions and comprehensive read me files.
I think there is no need for this thread. Locked.