News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Samus Mother Brain Returns

Started by Odb718, February 24, 2017, 10:52:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Odb718

This hack is pretty old school. It's been on the forum for a while now, but I consider it finalized (yet again)
I started it a long long time ago when there was only MetEdit to hack Metroid. (I think even before that) That's why the duplicate rooms and Kid Icarus rooms exist. Thanks to SnarfBlam, and a little help from ZeroOne I've taken this hack as far as it should go.

It has the mini-map, pause map, saves, and some asm. Just to make Brinstar blocks work better.
There are a few pixel perfect jumps. Depending on what seed you start with, big jumps or small jumps, one or two enemies may hit you when coming through a door if you're not quick on the missile(s). This is extremely rare.
If you have Nestroid skillz you can find yourself getting items early.
The hack includes some animations. Not a lot of them. I think maybe 5. One is the lava that's used in all the areas. The elevator beams. Couple other ones. I tried not to get gimmicky.

---- ORIGINAL 3 THUMBS ----

These are the first two spots you should see. People always miss Maru Mari, so I pointed it out in the second pic
[spoiler] 

The last pic is the only one you shouldnt "naturally" come across so it's a sort of secret. [/spoiler]

Here's a link for the current build. It include Zero Suit Samus for the Replay skin.
[spoiler= Zero Suit Samus Preview]

LookitDemHips
[/spoiler]
You can play as Zero Suit Samus by using this Sav file and playing on slot 3. Rename the sav file to what ever you name the patched rom. Works with FCEUX and Nestopia. You should be able to use the save with other hacks. Maybe on RD? I havent tested that. but I know it works for others.

I made these box covers for Samus MBR. If anyone's put them on their Nes Classic, feel free to use them
[spoiler= Covers]

[/spoiler]

If you want to watch some random newb play through a more recent build (and miss some really cool rooms) check out this youtube clip.. :P
The problems/bugs he faces in the video have been squashed a while back now.

If I'm missing something in this post, let me know.
If you find a bug... No you didn't...  :nuhuh:

Steel Sparkle

it's nice to see NES metroid hack. Looks pretty interesting.

ianfrombristol

Odb718

:O_o: Me after being awake for 36 hours, 2 and a half hours ago.
Thanks for catching the typo.

RealRed

I like how hilariously awful samus looks, and moreso how it's offset by the perfectly fine looking zero suit.

You mentioned 'seeds' once. The game changes per playthrough?

Odb718

No, not at all. Nestroid changes how certain enemies move. You'll either get big movement or small movement.
You'll probably get to see which one you're playing by seeing dessgeega jumping. They'll either jump high enough for you to run under, or jump low enough for you to jump over. Other enemies will act slightly different also.

Sorry about the late response.
The regular suit is supposed to look like she has wires, or tubes, running over her suit. And has the X-Ray scope built into the helmet. I had to stick to the original colors Nintendo picked when I first started the hack. Seeing how this hack is almost 20 years old I just cant bring myself to delete the first thing I did.

Flower

Quote from: Odb718 on March 05, 2017, 03:51:58 PM
Seeing how this hack is almost 20 years old I just cant bring myself to delete the first thing I did.
All of a sudden i feel i do NOT need to hurry AT ALL  :lol:

I give this one a shot right away when i return to platformers. looks interesting!

Right now i am deeply investigated in Final Fantasy VI. And it will take some time. [I would tell you more, but this would get it too far off-topic.]

Odb718

I've loved every minute of it. Well maybe not every minute.  :eyeroll:
But I've always found something new to edit every time SnarfBlam updates Editroid.
I have a feeling I wont want to update it on the next release. Who knows, maybe I'll start a new hack.