News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Samus Sprite Edits

Started by OneOf99, February 06, 2017, 08:42:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneOf99

So I looked around some topics and didn't find much help in terms of what to do to edit Samus's sprites. I read through this topic [spoiler]http://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php/topic,3858.0/prev_next,prev.html#new[/spoiler] so I know somewhat how it works. (For my purposes, having Varia/Gravity as one is actually quite nice). I was wondering if there was a program I could use to edit her individual sprites.

Also another question- is the entire power suit separate from the varia/gravity suit? Cause it seems that the only difference (besides palette swaps) is the top half of her suit.

And yea, I'm new-ish here. Hi!

EpicAndroid

Hey!

You know what? It took me forever to figure out how to actually change Samus' suit colors.
Here's what I did, but be warned, this isn't the most efficient way to do this, as I just found out.

1. Grab SMILE RF if you haven't already
2. Load a ROM of your choice
3. Click Windows ---> Palette Editor
4. Click on the drop down boxes for Samus' different suits
5. Use the colored boxes under "Palette Chooser" to select a color to modify with the sliders in "Palette Editor"

When satisfied, click "Save ROM"
Buyer Beware: when you make changes to Samus' Default Palette, you also have to make the same changes to her other states, like when charging a beam, shinesparking, speed boosting, etc. So using this method seems to be a bit ....labor intensive.

Quote58

He's talking about changing her sprites not just her palette.
As for OP's question, all the suits are the same except for the front facing pose, and the only difference is the shoulders in power suit afaik.
There are plenty of programs that let you edit her tiles, but you have to know how they are arranged by the tilemaps, which makes it a chore. Some people have rewritten the tilemaps so it's easy to view in a gfx editor, some have done it manually, but I think most are just waiting a dedicated program. JSM might be able to do it, but it's kind of buggy last I checked.

squishy_ichigo

ITT:
Op makes two topics for the same thing: http://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php/topic,4270.0.html
New guy responds to a post, even though:
Quote from: hedoesntknowhowtoforumWarning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 30 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.
And to top it off, quote gets in on it too, and ALSO didn't realize that op made two topics, and suggests he use jSM.

Great thread guys, all it needs now is a shitpost, and to get locked and it's the perfect thread.
Alternatively, I guess a mod could combine the two threads.... but wheres the fun in that.

OneOf99

My bad for trying to get information when nobody replied. I didn't know about JSM at this point until somebody pointed it out to me. Also, the second topic was not about the same thing, what are you even talking about? The second topic was asking about gfx files and how to open them to edit. Chill, man....

EpicAndroid

Sorry about that. I should've paid closer attention to the question.