News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

[M1] Metroid - Rogue Dawn - Version 1.21

Started by Grimlock, January 14, 2017, 12:28:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vega

Really beautiful work, just started it and completely impressed. Its running perfect on my RetroPie. I really want to put this on a cart.

madmega

Anyone playing this game on the NES mini ?

I do but i have a lot of problems with the game.

Maybe i am doing something wrong

SacredHooves

I will be posting a full review by the end of the week about this: but @Digital_Mantra video proof wanted :D I wanna see how you managed to pull that off

RT-55J

Quote from: Kenta Kurodani on January 17, 2017, 02:50:09 AM
I am trying to upload this soundtrack to a server, but I need to know the Metadata, what are the track names?

I made an NSFE of the soundtrack. It has proper timing for all the tracks, and a bunch of names I made up.

Vismund Cygnus

I played about two hours of this on-stream, and another couple off-stream, and though I'm not even close to finishing, and probably never will, I feel like I've played enough to form an opinion on why this is the best hack I've ever played.
[spoiler]
Rogue Dawn is an absolutely incredible hack of Metroid 1, marred only by the fact that it is a hack of Metroid 1. With stunning visuals, amazing music, and brilliant level design, lovers of the original game are going to be in for a massive treat. However, it is plagued by engine problems and faults that existed within Metroid, and those unfamiliar with the original game's quirks are going to find no solace in the hack.

From the very beginning, you know that what you're playing is no ordinary Metroid hack. You're thrown in to a title screen that is a stunning overhaul of the original, with brand new music to compliment the fact. From there, you are able to select a save file (another brilliant feature) and are dropped into a brand new tileset, with another fantastically arranged track, and a whole bunch of other new engine-based goodies, including slopes(!!!!!) and a whole bundle of animated tiles to boot. This is a trend that continues across the whole hack (from what I've seen of it). Grimlock's art is painstakingly well-done, and gorgeous to a fault, while Optomon's brand new soundtrack is thematically fitting, and stunning in its own right. The NES has never looked or sounded as good as it does in Rogue Dawn.
Standout track for me:
[spoiler]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz1FvcD-PSc[/spoiler]
The track is paired perfectly with the area it is heard, bringing a little bit of classic Megaman into your Metroid experience.
Exploration throughout the hack is largely trial and error, though the map is greatly useful (almost essential at times) for finding where you need to go. Don't rely on it too heavily though - at times there is a fair amount of trickery going on, and you may not always find yourself where you expect to!

So, with all that glowing praise, surely I love the hack, right?
Well, not exactly.

Based entirely on its own merits, the hack is phenomenal. However, in my opinion, the hack is marred only by the very game it is built upon. Erratic and often hard to physics, unresponsive controls, overpowered (in the early stages of the game) enemies, dying and respawning with 30 health for what feels like at times unavoidable damage, are just some of the many reasons that I don't believe I will ever find myself completing the game. I was never a fan of the original Metroid, and the hack carries over almost every issue I had with the original. It's simply not for me. And that's okay. I can still appreciate the time, effort, love and polish that went into the hack, it absolutely cannot be understated how phenomenally well-made this hack is. A lot of people seem to be basing their experience on preconceived notions that this hack is not going to be like the original Metroid (or rather, that it's going to be Super Metroid), and finding themselves disappointed when they discover that it is, in fact, Metroid. However, if you drop those expectations, you'll probably find yourself in for a treat.

As for myself? Well, I can't stand Metroid. I'm terrible at the original game, I've accepted that and resigned myself to my fate. Rogue Dawn couldn't change my feelings about that, but I can still give this hack a glowing recommendation. Any person who enjoyed the original Metroid should absolutely pick up Rogue Dawn. They'll be in for a massive treat.

And why does this make it the best hack I've ever played?
Simple.
It almost made me love Metroid 1.

Rating: 5/5
[/spoiler]

passarbye

Okay, so I've finally beaten this amazing hack. It took me over 5 hours, with around 78% completion or something (forgot exact number). I've been working on a re-playthrough of it, and for the life of me I can't find the boss in the kraid area (federation ship). I keep going in circles even after exploring the whole area. please send nudes help (just a hint of what path to take is fine, working on a 100% speed-run)

Also, I know this isn't directly related to Rogue Dawn, but when is the new version of Editroid supposed to be rolling out? You know, with the new nifty features that Snarf implemented for RD.

Registered

It was fun up to the warp maze garbage. Might as well add a slide puzzle to it.

Grimlock

Quote from: Registered on January 18, 2017, 03:43:11 PM
It was fun up to the warp maze garbage. Might as well add a slide puzzle to it.

The bug hive warping maze is being removed in version 1.20, too many people were getting confused by it.  it was designed to be easy but people were getting confused as to where the entry and exit points were, as a result it is being removed from the game.  An alternate route to the science ship boss has been added also since there was a lot of confusion there (so 2 ways to get there).  Another spot that contains warps has been worked on and improved as well.

I've also worked in some sequence breaking into the new 1.20 update!  Version 1.20 will be the final version of the game (unless significant bugs are discovered).

We should see the update in a few days, I need to test it thoroughly.

asheenlevrai

Hi,

I am filled with frustration. Even more after reading how everyone loves that ROM.

I was unsuccessful trying to play it on Mac (El Capitan).
I am using OpenEmu2.0.4 (nothing happens when I try to launch the patched ROM)
I patched using MultiPatch64
I patched the USA version of Metroid.zip

Hint: when I try to unzip the patched ROM, OSX asks for a password ->??? (no such thing when I unzip Metroid.zip)

Should I try a different IPS patcher for Mac? Should I try a different emulator?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.
Best,
-a-

EDIT: just read this : http://fantasyanime.com/patching
Should I remove the header of the original rom 1st? (I have no idea what that means)

Registered

Try unzipping the file first, then patch.

Quote from: Grimlock on January 18, 2017, 04:45:06 PM

The bug hive warping maze is being removed in version 1.20, (...)
Great! Now if only the mechanic was removed entirely..   :eyeroll:

A Dummy

Finished hack.

Time: 4:43:36
Item Completion: 83%
http://imgur.com/urqvya1

I had an absolute blast playing through this hack, between the environments feeling very alive thanks to the animated tiles and the tighter gameplay thanks to "Samus" being less floaty as well as the great music I loved nearly every bit of this hack, reminded me of something I might have seen on the Game Boy Color.

I could probably try to go on, but I'd more than likely just start rambling and end up repeating myself a bunch, but I would like to voice my opinion on a few of the points that I see people bringing up.

On the Hive maze. (And the mazes in general.)
[spoiler]These didn't bother me at all honestly, though for the Hive maze I do think it could have been better communicated where the correct paths were with cracked blocks as well as the colored grass. (Which to be fair I wouldn't have even thought to pay attention to that if it hadn't already been pointed out here on the forum.)

For the maze in the Chozo Ruins area itself, I thought it was pretty fun, in practice it worked the same as running into a dead end and needing to look for secret paths, but it had more of mystical feel for it like the ruins themselves were trying to mess with my head. (Good example is one spot in the middle of the ruins where you can just keep falling down forever, so since going down doesn't work at all I go up and get a Missile Tank and the way out.)[/spoiler]

And on the Final Area.
[spoiler]Overall this area didn't bother me too much, with 225 Missiles I didn't have a problem with ammo at all since I always blasted any Metroids I came across for refills, though I'm sure with some bad RNG I could have potentially run out.

I did find the "Guntroids" to be rather annoying though, especially since whenever I get hit I basically lose temporary control of my character on top of bouncing around from being knocked back. (One of the more annoying NEStroid quirks to be sure.)

Now this in of itself isn't usually too bad, but in the third tall room that you can fall down from the "Guntroids" and "Rinkas" are absolutely debilitating from all the knockback you get from being hit by them making it very frustrating to get through this room and very easy to fall down from getting knocked away from where I'm trying to jump and then getting knocked into one of the Jellyfish things to then fall down. (Thankfully I only actually fell all the way down one time, but it was still very annoying.)

The "Mother Brain" room was also a bit annoying from all the different things hitting me, but considering it was like that in vanilla I'll just consider that as keeping to what made Mother Brain difficult in the vanilla game. :lol: (And at least there isn't any Acid to fall into here.)[/spoiler]

Minor nitpicks and annoyances aside I think this hack did an excellent job of bringing out what's best about the original Metroid while also toning down on the original's shortcomings, anyone who even has a little bit of appreciation of the original Metroid should give this hack a try. (Though I'd have to agree with Vismund Miranda that if you already can't stand Metroid 1 then you probably won't get much from this hack.)
5/5

passarbye

Quote from: A Dummy on January 18, 2017, 09:51:55 PM

And on the Final Area.
[spoiler]
The "Mother Brain" room was also a bit annoying from all the different things hitting me, but considering it was like that in vanilla I'll just consider that as keeping to what made Mother Brain difficult in the vanilla game. :lol: (And at least there isn't any Acid to fall into here.)[/spoiler]
Some important thoughts/observations:
[spoiler]I think the final area has some quirks, but one of the real issues is that Ice beam is rendered partly useless by the fact that shooting something twice in a row un-freezes basically anything but metroids (and it doesn't refresh the freeze effect upon shooting them while frozen like SM).
I would love to see the ice beam work like SM, where things stay frozen even after shooting them multiple times, but on a technical standpoint I don't know how any of this really works. maybe someone else can chime in on that.
Aside from the ice beam shenanigans, I think the other thing that fucks with people is the knockback effect after getting hit, which seems to throw/bounce your character across the screen. In SM, it does generally the same thing, but it is applied quickly and then you regain control rather quickly, so it doesn't seem so jarring when you're suddenly ~2-3 tiles from where you were. It's like a quick flash, rather than a slow bounce effect. Again though, I have no idea how this works in the engines and I'm just making observations that seem to effect most players. Any input from people that know about this shit would be helpful. [/spoiler]
Maybe it's just me, but if these two things were changed I think it would help the hack immensely.

RealRed

is it just me or is the opposite drop way less likely if something is full? if I have full missiles, enemies only drop missiles. if full health, only health drops.

I might be wrong but this seems obnoxiously consistent.

EDIT:
SIGH.
That pogo stick boss though. This irritates me just enough to post my criticisms so far.

The utter lack of flat ground ever, while contributing to exceptionally detailed worlds, makes fighting monsters skewed against the player when they cannot jump while traversing landscape.

Speaking of levels, your worlds are rife with something I learned not to do ever in level design ever: unmarked one-ways. The player doesn't want to get punished back 5-10 rooms for investigating a door. investigating pathways in your hack is what you want to players to do, isn't it? Why am I frequently made to regret it? The punishment for missing a jump in a large series of 1x1 platforms is already uncanny, I'm scared to know what people are crying about in Tourian.
(see: E-tank 1 in crashed space ship, multiple paths in crashed space ship, at least a few in surface area)

Damage halls. Another bad one. Lots and lots of rooms where I can get through much more simply if I recharge my health first.

This game seems to suffer from Drewseph-level bullshit. I've had more than one morph ball tunnel push me out after going through/picking up an item... I then had to re-traverse rooms when I wanted to just go back the way I came. Why did you bother doing this, dude? I guess this also falls under unmarked one-ways but it seems you've made extra programming just to make the game more tedious when you could've coded something cool or beneficial to the gameplay. Odd design choice.

so, it seems pretty obvious that this is an ultra-challenge hack. I feel like I'm wrong in saying that though. The game didn't show its colors until I started making marked progress in the second area. It makes me feel like you were going for a well balanced game in actuality, but your levels fell victim to amateur mistakes.

If you were going for an ultra-challenge hack, thanks for doing it right. Your hack is easily in leagues with the likes of Dragoon X Omega II and stuff like that.

Grimlock

Quote from: RealRed on January 19, 2017, 02:14:05 PM
[spoiler]is it just me or is the opposite drop way less likely if something is full? if I have full missiles, enemies only drop missiles. if full health, only health drops.

I might be wrong but this seems obnoxiously consistent.

EDIT:
SIGH.
That pogo stick boss though. This irritates me just enough to post my criticisms so far.

The utter lack of flat ground ever, while contributing to exceptionally detailed worlds, makes fighting monsters skewed against the player when they cannot jump while traversing landscape.

Speaking of levels, your worlds are rife with something I learned not to do ever in level design ever: unmarked one-ways. The player doesn't want to get punished back 5-10 rooms for investigating a door. investigating pathways in your hack is what you want to players to do, isn't it? Why am I frequently made to regret it? The punishment for missing a jump in a large series of 1x1 platforms is already uncanny, I'm scared to know what people are crying about in Tourian.
(see: E-tank 1 in crashed space ship, multiple paths in crashed space ship, at least a few in surface area)

Damage halls. Another bad one. Lots and lots of rooms where I can get through much more simply if I recharge my health first.

This game seems to suffer from Drewseph-level bullshit. I've had more than one morph ball tunnel push me out after going through/picking up an item... I then had to re-traverse rooms when I wanted to just go back the way I came. Why did you bother doing this, dude? I guess this also falls under unmarked one-ways but it seems you've made extra programming just to make the game more tedious when you could've coded something cool or beneficial to the gameplay. Odd design choice.

so, it seems pretty obvious that this is an ultra-challenge hack. I feel like I'm wrong in saying that though. The game didn't show its colors until I started making marked progress in the second area. It makes me feel like you were going for a well balanced game in actuality, but your levels fell victim to amateur mistakes.

If you were going for an ultra-challenge hack, thanks for doing it right. Your hack is easily in leagues with the likes of Dragoon X Omega II and stuff like that.[/spoiler]

Thanks for the feedback.  Regarding the less than flat surfaces my objective with the level design was to make it look as organic as possible within the constraints of the original game engine and the NES in general.  I know this can create a challenge with shooting at some enemies as you are navigating the terrain.  It was an artistic design decision, I can understand if you and some others may find fault as it's not traditional.

I agree with you on the unmarked one ways, I removed a lot (if not all) of them in this upcoming 1.20 update.  After watching several game play streams and hearing some of the complaints regarding getting lost and having to loop back I decided to eliminate them.  Going back and removing these there actually wasn't a whole lot of them (a few in each area).  There was enough of them to generate some frustration though (enough for a few people to point it out).  I think the few productive one ways are probably being tainted by the unproductive one ways in the pre 1.20 level design.

(Regarding the "damage halls") There were some pretty tight spots that I've adjusted for 1.20.  We did do a beta testing but there were few opportunities to see how players would actually interact with some of the screens.  It was never my intention to create obstacles that force damage on the player.  If you can contribute by pointing out these areas you experienced high frustration with I'll have a look at them.  Changing the level design in a few spots before I launch 1.20 out there is a simple task (and if there's a realistic way to improve it I'm all for it).

Regarding the bosses... This is a ROM hack, I had the challenge of coming up with something utilizing the existing tile animation sequence and behavior of the existing assets.  Re-skinning existing M1 characters into something that works with the environment (cosmetically) and works within the limitations set by the existing design is no simple task.  I know it's kind of silly when you look at it at face value (the boss design(s)) but if you knew the constraints you'd be surprised I successfully pulled anything off.  Anyway, knowing what I know, having dealt with the design constraints I'm 100% comfortable with the outcome on all sprite designs.  As far as boss difficulty that really depends on the equipment you have, they can go from very hard to very easy.

Regarding "Drewseph-level bullshit" I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about, there is a known bug that if you acquire an item and press the opposite direction during the fanfare you'll still continue to go the previous direction.  There are a few places where there is a faster way back than where you came from (wall jump for example).  It's a "one-way" that bypasses having to grind through the enemies you just passed.  I think there's some confusion here as far as some of these path ways.  The E-Tank in the jungle area has a one way back because I wanted to make sure the player had a way back to the beginning but not a way to grab the E-tank with too much ease.  If you went that way but got upset I can understand.  I can probably make an adjustment there and make it less likely that the player will step off of the ledge immediately presented after the screen scroll (so they can go back).  The other opening in the jungle area that drops you to the main elevator (directly to the left of it) is part of the quick return path from the boss fight.

"it seems pretty obvious that this is an ultra-challenge hack"...  I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion, there was no intention to make this into an "ultra-challenge hack".  As a SM player who isn't particularly used to M1 and it's physics I can see how it could be on the difficult side, that's not a fault of the game design itself though.  Also difficulty is affected by play style, people who rush through areas will  take a lot more damage.  Also I've noticed in a few play videos people not using missiles, that can affect difficulty too.  Give me some details on where you're having difficulty.

Thanks for the feedback, if you're up for it please either post some additional details on where you think things can be improved or PM me.  I'm in the process of fine tuning the level design.  After this it is what it is.  I have no problem making changes that are appropriate (and want to), nothing is cemented (within reason).  I believe level designs can have bugs just like code can.

RealRed

I'm overstating it. Maybe. A lot of the game feels on-par with NES game difficulty. Dying a lot is a part of the gameplay and I should probably be grateful I get to save/load rather than run out of lives.

As for the boss: I had loads of difficulty getting a flat footing & I don't think I brought enough missiles for the kill. I got super frustrated however, the first few times I entered the room and forward momentum brought me into the shockers before the fight started. No shame in keeping the hazards closer to the actual battle!

I was told to fight him with bombs, I wouldn't have done that normally because I knew I was fighting Ridley. Isn't he resistant to bombs in M1? Scored me the kill anyway.

EDIT: I thought I had to kill the boss because I missed walljump and figured it was in the ship. If I needed walljump to reach the boss, I never would've tried him with such minimal equipment.

Damage halls: In the purple surface area, there's a long drop with rippers towards the bottom. you can jump down and accidentally find them pretty easily.
Also, in the wrecked ship, there's a micro-platforming segment with two rows of zappers with geemers attached. If you have over an E-tank of health you can just jump through the zappers and ignore the challenge.

As for "Drewseph level bullshit",
Quote from: Grimlockthere is a known bug that if you acquire an item and press the opposite direction during the fanfare you'll still continue to go the previous direction.
Doh! Thought I was just being forced through since I couldn't turn around. in the first energy tank area, I was thrown in a hole right away but I'm learning it happened from momentum created by my bombs. If only the shot blocks were a little further from the first hole. *hint hint*  :razz:

This is all really interesting though because quirks of M1's engine are never really brought to light in the original game.

AuroraxPhilic

@Digital_Mantra ...What the..? Did you use haxs or something?

Digital_Mantra

Nah dude, just some stupidly difficult frame and pixel perfect precision.

AuroraxPhilic

@Digital_Mantra Aaayyye! True! XD I assume you found the bridge double air jump exploit..?

EDIT:
I got rid of the rant. It's my opinion it seems...as  nobody really seems to notice or care about the under preforming level lay out.

RealRed

[spoiler=Review]
So admittedly, there were a few things I thought this game would have. From game screenshots, I actually thought the powersuit would be found. Like, change samus' appearance after picking up varia or something. Also, for some reason I expected entirely custom bosses. Which there was! Just not to the degree I was expecting. Not that these were bad things. I still never saw anything coming and remained hooker to the end. maybe too hooked.

+ Your new, meticulously crafted levels, combined with the original musical score, reek of quality and allow for unhindered immersion. I couldn't slow down, I HAD to beat it.
I think the maze-like nature of your romhack even calls back to mazes you've showed in the creativity center. You lead us around, tease us with more and more places to find and reach, pushing us here or taking us there. You're a maker of mazes and your newest maze seamlessly combines with the 8bit world. The levels are descriptive yet deceptive. Twisting, yet linear. Fantastic.

+ Your tilesets are filled to the brim with content. The trees in the jungle fading to black are brilliant. I laughed a little bit when I saw the GF troopers shooting the walls in the escape. You keep making these wonderful touches and they bring your world to life.

+ The new item additions felt good. The world (which actually now feels a little small!) offers little secrets everywhere to utilize them and they're empowering- especially when I'm doing mid-air-morphs-after-walljumping like I would in Super Metroid.

+ This might be an unpopular opinion, but I'd say the hive "puzzle" worked. Like everything I had played up to that point, it was a matter of R&D (not Rogue and Dawn, Research and Development!), just trying paths until you get one that works. I don't see why you'd get rid of it. I'd be sad to see it go.

As for critiques...

- The beginning area (the surface) could probably open the doors to the world a little more smoothly. Despite being the first stepping stones into rogue dawn, it was the only to have 1x1 jumping challenges over lava. It was also the pathway to the GF ship. I presumed it was the next area since it had an item dot-- the only one I hadn't reached of the areas I (thought I) could reach. Perhaps if it were a little more challenging to reach the GF ship? You have to climb the tower of doom to reach the jungle. Wall jump was all I really needed to open up the world and it took me multiple play sessions to come across them. They weren't "needed" in the GF ship though, so it felt like my destination. Enemies took tons of powerbeam shots to kill but I kinda figured "NES games have ramping difficulty". I admit I got bitter.

- Definitely the one way passages that set you back numerous rooms are a drag. You could at least give us a little drag strip and a hole that implies "you're not coming back this way" or something.

- A few spots I noticed it may be worthwhile to highlight some information better. ie. the bomb block destroyed to get into the walljump shaft. The two blocks to the left of it are more spindly looking and have black space below them. I'd be more likely to bomb those than the actual block.
The boss statues, I presumed I couldn't pass through because of the one with the infographic: _ _ _ _, I thought I didn't have the code when in reality I just had to shoot them. hum. That might just be me again, expecting something other than M1.

- The drop rate for missiles seems consistently low. Pretty lousy since they're the pickup you can't just soak up on in a station.

Anyway, this is a crowning achievement Grimlock. I hope you're proud- you should be. Without your contribution, fully fledged NES games would not be coming out in the 2010's. Also quite possibly one of the best romhacks to date, next to giants like Super Metroid Redesign and Dragoon X Omega II.
:>: :>: :>: :>: :>:
[/spoiler]
[spoiler=help!]How do I play as power suit?
EDIT: Darn, I figured from old screenshots there'd be at least a reverse justin bailey. Oh well. Why are there 10+ copies of dawn's tilesheet in the rom?[/spoiler]
[spoiler=bug]
In the room I've boxed, I jumped down the pit but walljumped off the left wall. Level graphics appeared, graphics garbled, and I teleported into the room where I am in the picture. Huh?!?[/spoiler]

AuroraxPhilic, you're on the list of playtesters... Why didn't you say this to Grimlock a month ago? That's kind of a purpose subverted when you withhold your critique.
I wouldn't say his levels are shit. I was bitching about oversloping but it was really only an issue in the purple surface area. Everywhere else felt solid and traversable. I noticed a big step up in accessibility from the surface to the jungle. Overall, his levels work. You can often follow 'hidden' routes you see to their start. The difficulty finds its footing, albiet a little late, once you open up nearly every alternate route with [spoiler]walljump.[/spoiler]

Take a deep breath, buddy.

AuroraxPhilic

I did hint a few times at my dislike towards the level design but I didn't say anything because the game was already too far in development. I was simply looking for bugs, and slight critiques...not change the entirety of the game with my calls.

I'm gonna stand by my statement, and say that the level layout is bad. Yes it gets the job done...but that's about it. You are constantly getting hit unfairly, and getting around pretty much guarantees you have to get hit to traverse at times.

Something is just horribly off with the layout...and I can't quite put my finger on it...

RT-55J

On a macro-level, I don't have any issues with the area layouts. The "lack of direction" and maze-likeness is befitting of an exploration-focused game. It helped increase the thrill of discovery, and the gameworld's modest scope (enforced by M1's 32x32 screen limit) helped tone down the potential monotony that always threatens these more ambitious hacks.

Regarding the micro-level of the level design, my first time through the game I managed to beat the first two bosses while I was rather underequipped (I hadn't found the wall-jump). Dealing with enemies was difficult, yes, but I found most situations could be handled with a bit of caution an some clever maneuvering. Yes, I still died a couple times; however, the critical paths through the areas proved to be remarkably straightforward, making it easy to regain my lost progress.

This game does have a few issues. However, being harder than or designed worse than M1 are not among them.

Odb718

Quote from: AuroraxPhilic on January 20, 2017, 01:10:57 AMYou are constantly getting hit unfairly, and getting around pretty much guarantees you have to get hit to traverse at times.

Something is just horribly off with the layout...and I can't quite put my finger on it...
It's the map. The map throws you off every chance it can. From constantly having to use morphball doorways that lead to paths that the map says you should be able to take, but cant. To not showing you how to get from the part of the ship to the other part. Then the maze part, well the map is just nulled there. The map is kinda useless in most areas.

Quote from: RT-55J on January 20, 2017, 02:31:05 AMThis game does have a few issues. However, being harder than or designed worse than M1 are not among them.
How was M1's level layout and design worse? And PLEASE take into consideration the very huge difference between the original rom and SnarfBlam's work. RD couldn't possibly be built on top of the original game.
The game is actually harder than Nestroid. I'm not sure how you see it as easier. Or are you just saying that it being harder isn't considered an issue?

Grimlock

Quote from: AuroraxPhilic on January 19, 2017, 11:09:43 PM
@Digital_Mantra Aaayyye! True! XD I assume you found the bridge double air jump exploit..?

EDIT:
I got rid of the rant. It's my opinion it seems...as  nobody really seems to notice or care about the under preforming level lay out.

I did read your early access pre-delete beta post and I decided the time just wasn't right to respond with my true underlying feelings and concerns.  Now that you've released your final post I feel that the time is right...

[spoiler]

(Yes, AuroraxPhilic was a beta tester.)

If you're ever involved in any sort of pre-release play testing you need to be brutally honest.  I'm not saying I would have catered to all your suggestions but your feedback could have been very valuable.  I'm making improvements for the final update and it's quite possible that some of these changes could have happened before this update.  If you think you were saving me some sort of negative emotional reaction you couldn't have been further from the truth.  I don't see critical feedback as negative, I see it as an opertunity.  Not a single thing said before this post has upset me in any way, not even your rant.  I will be honest though I am disappointed that you were given an opertunity to participate and instead decided to withhold your thoughts and opinions until it was (almost) too late.  :nope:  I personally think it would have been more productive for you to post with a list of ideas that could improve the level design rather than just posting a lengthy spat as you did earlier.  Since you opted to not share your insights (even though you signed on to do so) there's no point in complaining unless your primary objective is to just make yourself look bad.  :pwuh: .  Anyway, fear not, there's still time to share some of your ideas now that you've had plenty of time to consider them since the Beta.  If not please refrain from further pointless "ranting"  :eyeroll:. [/spoiler]

AuroraxPhilic

Grimlock, don't give me that. You know FULL WELL, that very little of my ideas could have made it to the changing board even if I was able to direct them to you. I didn't hold back the information so as to not negatively affect you, I did it so as to speed up the release. I held back because I didn't want to be responsible, and ruin it for everyone with more waiting; just because of my bickering.

Grimlock...like I said before...I cannot convey my ideas to you, because I am a person who can't describe why or how something is wrong exactly, or even able to convey my ideas properly with most things even. When I do something, I do it on intuition...on gut feeling if you will.

If this was a full blown game, I would have tried harder, and I probably wouldn't have held back. I'm not sure why I did...but I did.

Scyzer

Quote from: AuroraxPhilic on January 20, 2017, 08:05:23 AM
I didn't hold back the information so as to not negatively affect you, I did it so as to speed up the release. I held back because I didn't want to be responsible, and ruin it for everyone with more waiting; just because of my bickering.

FYI, when you wonder why no one else will ever want you as a beta tester, think of this moment. This is the quote that will put you on the blacklist for everyone on Metconst  :neutral:

We don't ask for beta testers just so we can have a quick release. You should be providing feedback about everything as soon as you can; that's the job of a tester.