News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

[M1] Metroid - Rogue Dawn - Version 1.21

Started by Grimlock, January 14, 2017, 12:28:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris2balls

Cheers guys, here's some more!

In my opinion, it would help a lot if there were a difference between discovered and undiscovered areas on the map screen, and distinguishing items which are acquired or not. Perhaps make different areas different colours on the map, too? I got lost very easily, and the warp points confused me a lot.
I was also confused by tiles which looked like they were in the foreground and not in the background, which I then mistook for solid tiles. Some of the platforms on the surface have tiles which blend into the black background, which I thought I go through, and it turned out they were solid. This graphical inconsistency can be frustrating.

Still, I like the areas and their looks (especially Chozo Jungle and Federation Spaceship), the secrets are fun, the music's fantastic, the hub design works well once you find your way... this is a great re-imagining and I'm looking forward to more progress!

Grimlock

Quote from: chris2balls on March 19, 2017, 05:32:55 PM
Cheers guys, here's some more!

In my opinion, it would help a lot if there were a difference between discovered and undiscovered areas on the map screen, and distinguishing items which are acquired or not. Perhaps make different areas different colours on the map, too? I got lost very easily, and the warp points confused me a lot.
I was also confused by tiles which looked like they were in the foreground and not in the background, which I then mistook for solid tiles. Some of the platforms on the surface have tiles which blend into the black background, which I thought I go through, and it turned out they were solid. This graphical inconsistency can be frustrating.

Still, I like the areas and their looks (especially Chozo Jungle and Federation Spaceship), the secrets are fun, the music's fantastic, the hub design works well once you find your way... this is a great re-imagining and I'm looking forward to more progress!

Nice graphics!

Well, keep in mind this is a NES hack, there's only so much that can be done with the map and such.  There just isn't the resources to do what you are asking unfortunately.

EDIT: Which tiles were confusing (post a screenshot).

EDIT 2: That environmental suit of mine (in your image) was a work in progress, this is the final version (only applies to a few areas).

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Digital_Mantra

Awesome!
Happy to see my route still intact, will have to 100% it again to see all the changes.
I thought I'd make the credits this version, I'll try harder with bug reports next time lol

Grimlock

Quote from: Digital_Mantra on March 19, 2017, 05:56:01 PM
Awesome!
Happy to see my route still intact, will have to 100% it again to see all the changes.
I thought I'd make the credits this version, I'll try harder with bug reports next time lol

Actually, we did talk about it... somehow that add in got missed.  About 75%+ of the level design stuff post 1.10 was caught by you.

MollyAncalime

[spoiler][/spoiler]
It seems that screw attack morph ball bug that caused the delay is still intact. I know this picture doesn't really show it, but the morph ball is flashing blue, dark blue, yellow and green, and it (awesomely enough) slowly damages everything on the screen, grabs health/missile drops from anywhere and floats up if I hold down. Kinda cool. I somehow triggered it by using Select+A+B to go back to the elevator.

Grimlock

Quote from: MollyAncalime on March 19, 2017, 09:46:19 PM
[spoiler][/spoiler]
It seems that screw attack morph ball bug that caused the delay is still intact. I know this picture doesn't really show it, but the morph ball is flashing blue, dark blue, yellow and green, and it (awesomely enough) slowly damages everything on the screen, grabs health/missile drops from anywhere and floats up if I hold down. Kinda cool. I somehow triggered it by using Select+A+B to go back to the elevator.

Thanks for pointing that out, I've taken down the download temporarily until we sort it out.

Grimlock

Version 1.21 is now available for download. 

Changes include:

Modified projectile graphic.
Corrected a major bug.
Added alternative patches (each patch is identified in the credits room).
In addition to the long list of 1.20 changes.

Version 1.21 now includes alternate patches:

1. No Corner Map
2. Zero Suit Only

These alternate patches are included due to multiple requests

EDIT: If no major bugs are discovered this should be considered the final version.  It is possible that I may add additional "alternate" patches in the future but I don't have any plans to at the moment

Digital_Mantra

Cheers for the new route in this patch. Makes everything 10% cooler.

OneOf99

Awesome, I didn't really like losing the zero-suit aspect of it in the first place :(

A Dummy

Found an odd bug, though relatively harmless.

If I pause and bring up the map while in Morph Ball, and then I hold a direction on the d-pad before unpausing and then unpause I will move in the direction I'm facing regardless of whether I was holding left or right. (So if I'm facing left in Morph Ball, I will still move left even though I was holding right before unpausing.)

Also found a few small audio bugs related to pausing as well.
When I Morph and then immediately pause while the "Morph" sound is playing a beep sound can be heard for about half a second, which I'm guessing is the current note of said morph sound, the tone of the beep will even change tone depending on when exactly I pause during the morph sound ranging from low to high. (Probably because the sound effect itself starts low and then ends on a higher pitched note.)

Doing a similar thing, though with a different result, pausing right before picking up a missile drop will cause only 1 layer of its pick-up sound to play after unpausing. (The energy pick-ups don't do this interestingly enough, I'm guessing they have simpler sound layers.)

vivify93

Thank you so much, Grimlock! I can't wait to get back to livestreaming Metroid: Rogue Dawn! :)

Daltone

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Good stuff

Digital_Mantra

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Rad dude

RealRed

Oh it's on. Awaiting sub 5 minutes TAS.

SacredHooves

Im still tearing through looking for things: but all in all 1.2 has been a great improvement. While I don't think the color choices were the best for the 2nd suits: it actually looks like a rebel form of Samus's which is awesome.

[spoiler] My biggest question though: I haven't been able to locate either Ridley's or Kraid's secrete path's: anyone got a hint on where to look? [/spoiler]

Grimlock

Quote from: SacredHooves on March 23, 2017, 01:16:26 PM
Im still tearing through looking for things: but all in all 1.2 has been a great improvement. While I don't think the color choices were the best for the 2nd suits: it actually looks like a rebel form of Samus's which is awesome.

[spoiler] My biggest question though: I haven't been able to locate either Ridley's or Kraid's secrete path's: anyone got a hint on where to look? [/spoiler]

Here's a couple vague hints:

[spoiler]
Jungle:  "The snake is looking to enter"
Sci Ship: "Guarded by the great robo-troid"
[/spoiler]

Happy hunting   :grin:

vivify93

Excellent work. I'm gonna go for 100% on New Game +. :)

SpiderWaffle

3/25 1:30PM PDT Rogue Dawn 2nd time playing speedrun
w/ Both Bosses this time
https://www.twitch.tv/spiderwaffle
https://www.youtube.com/user/SpiderWaffle

I'll look into lowering from 720p to 560p for users on tablets :P
only thing is, it's not integer 240p ratio but might not mater.

EDIT:
Here it is, 2nd time playing, first time doing most of mini-boss levels, 2:15 52% both bosses
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEB5yUe8NNI

AuroraxPhilic

Psh. Non TAS Sub 7, just give me some time, and I'm there.

EDIT:
On second thought...screw version 1.2. I'm going back to 1.1.

SpiderWaffle

Please, Could anyone, Grimlock?, PM or spoiler post here the items necessary for 100%?
Do you finish with 255 missiles and 6 E-tanks? Are there more E tanks or missiles beyond that? Any extra super secret items beyond these: [spoiler]Screw, ice, wave, varia, high jump, bombs, Wall jump, spring ball+morph in air, access code capsule pill thing[/spoiler]

I did any% 1st time, both bosses 2nd time, and want to go for 100% my 3rd time playing through.

MollyAncalime

A 100% map or video could be helpful. I scoured the game but ended up with 97%

Digital_Mantra

Yeah a 100% map would be nice, it's been out long enough for one.

AuroraxPhilic, lol why go back to 1.1?

DonnyDonovan

I have been playing 1.21 for several hours.  I'm doing pretty well.  I've got Varia, high jump, bombs, ice and wave, wall jump, spring jump and 60 missiles.  What I don't have is a single bleeping energy tank and it sucks.  Are there a couple I should have had by now?  Where oh where are the energy tanks?  Even with Varia I still always feel like I'm near death.  Thanks for any tips on where I may have missed the first one or two most players get.

Daltone

Quote from: DonnyDonovan on March 28, 2017, 03:33:28 PM
I have been playing 1.21 for several hours.  I'm doing pretty well.  I've got Varia, high jump, bombs, ice and wave, wall jump, spring jump and 60 missiles.  What I don't have is a single bleeping energy tank and it sucks.  Are there a couple I should have had by now?  Where oh where are the energy tanks?  Even with Varia I still always feel like I'm near death.  Thanks for any tips on where I may have missed the first one or two most players get.
[spoiler]one is really close to bombs, and one is really close to the right of the left elevator[/spoiler]

SpiderWaffle

Check all the rooms that you can, if there's a "dead end" room/area sticking out, there's probably something there. When in vertical scrolling mode, be looking for possible ways to go left or right.
Also you probably...
[Spoiler]should check over by the bombs again, try to use the bombs as soon as you get them, rarely do you need make large back tracks, there almost always are back ways out. the most obvious easiest tank is around there, you almost definitely should at least see it if you get bombs.[/spoiler]