News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

[M1] Metroid - Rogue Dawn - Version 1.21

Started by Grimlock, January 14, 2017, 12:28:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vivify93

As far as I can tell, the dark purple and shade of red aren't actually in the NES color palette. :(

Grimlock

Quote from: RealRed on January 29, 2017, 02:09:39 PM
Ehehe, I actually drew this in photoshop. I can duplicate the pixels in colors in tlp maybe tonight, although I'd probably touch this up further towards perfection.

Here's some Photoshop NES palette swatches I made:

Download Link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xd1ypg1bn3iot6c/NES%20Palette%20Swatches.zip?dl=0

EDIT: If you hover over a swatch it'll display the appropriate NES HEX value (I named the swatches by their HEX equivalent).

The YYCHR version has the colors required to copy and paste tiles from photoshop directly into YYCHR.  You need version 0.98 beta02 for the copy paste to work correctly.  Black, Green, Blue, and Red = colors 1, 2, 3, 4.

The non-YYCHR version is the same minus the colors used to define the palette color identities of the pixels.

Grimlock

A few palette options: (I was only able to put about 15-20 minutes into it so I'll have to play around with it some more this evening)

EDIT: The original palette is non-NES compliant.

vivify93

I vote 17 08 10, because it has more intrigue to it with the off-white for the visor. The one I straight-out don't like is 25 01 04. It's gaudy, in my opinion.

Scout1297

I like 17 08 10, because it has more variation in color to it

A Dummy

As much as I like purple colors, I have to agree that the 17 08 10 one looks the best, plus it fits the Space Pirate color scheme nicely as well making it feel more like it's their tech.

Grimlock

RealRed

Could we try 11 06 26? I bet that'd look pretty sick. Alternatively, 0F 06 26 may look even better.

lifeofregret

07,16,27 , although they all look alright. the gray one may be too close to the federation trooper colors, though

lifeofregret

hope i can post links now...

been playing this on my nes classic and just finished it last night. amazing. love everything about it. best metroid game since metroid prime. don't understand any of the complaints. maybe they were only from a couple people, but still, dead wrong.

the art design in this game is phenomenal. one of the most beautiful 8-bit games i've ever seen. the alien vegetation. the rain. the waterfalls. nice.

the warping was an inspired choice. when it first occurred (after the jump boots) it threw me, but i quickly realized what was happening. brilliant way to streamline backtracking.

loved all the easter eggs. it really rewarded exploration. i totally ignored the map throughout my playthrough, relying on the old metroid "bomb everything" tactic to get around, so i found quite a few. including (spoilers):

-3 large metroid sprite sculptures
-the "grim picker"
-mario land - blew me away
-shy guy's playroom. felt bad for killing shy guy's pet though

i found some bugs too:

in the long vertical shaft that leads to the energy tank below the varia suit, i found two spots where you can get stuck, both while in morph ball form and scrolling from one side of screen to the other:

http://imgur.com/a/dyvqv

at the start of the hallway with the regeneration station with the dead body, when in ball form if you hug the top of the rocks when transitioning screens, you will get stuck in the wall:

http://imgur.com/a/9kvpv

near the top of the metroid hive, if you bomb jump here, you can get stuck in a wall:

http://imgur.com/a/S2AXj

this one isn't a gamebreaking bug, but i thought it was interesting. somewhat hard to describe, but in the aforementioned hallway where the first regeneration station is located, if you bomb the explodable ground directly to the right edge of the screen, and immediately move through the screen transition, in the next room gravity will be reduced outside of the water, just as it would be while in the water. this room doesn't scroll as it normally would, so these effects are confined to this one small area. if you head to the room from which you came, the physics will reset and the game will play normally again.

http://imgur.com/a/olOFD

i did find another "bug", one that allows for some major sequence breaking and other exploits, but i hesitate to mention it because it serves as more of a cool feature, rather than a detriment to gameplay. it would be a shame if it were somehow removed. it's probably something you're aware of already anyway, considering it allowed me to find this:

overall, i am stunned by the quality of this game. i'm a gigantic fan of the original metroid and have played multiple hacks of it previously. this one crushes them all. new items, new mechanics, new environments, new music; this ain't even a hack, this is whole new goddamn game. nintendo couldn't have done it better themselves. unfortunately you guys aren't nintendo so obviously you can't get paid for this, but you really should. hopefully the rogue dawn team sticks together and you guys can create a project for which you can receive funding. kickstart something and i would gladly support it. you guys are too talented to not continue working.

if you guys do start another project, i would love to see it be another nes game. with the nes classic on the market and the hack of it allowing users to upload nes compatible games, the nes can be a living system once again. it's an open platform that anyone can develop for meaning the potential for many more nes inspired releases. hopefully.

just throwing this out there: how about a castlevania-like game for the nes that is more in line with the later "metroidvania" titles, than the more linear early titles? think circle of the moon/symphony of the night but on the nes. would be pretty awesome. just call it CastleMania or something and you could maybe sell it.

finally, what was the deal with the two survivors and the energy tank? is there any consequence to the decision to take it or not to take it? i didn't take it, btw. kind of wish i did now

Grimlock

Quote from: lifeofregret on January 30, 2017, 02:46:50 AM
[spoiler]hope i can post links now...

been playing this on my nes classic and just finished it last night. amazing. love everything about it. best metroid game since metroid prime. don't understand any of the complaints. maybe they were only from a couple people, but still, dead wrong.

the art design in this game is phenomenal. one of the most beautiful 8-bit games i've ever seen. the alien vegetation. the rain. the waterfalls. nice.

the warping was an inspired choice. when it first occurred (after the jump boots) it threw me, but i quickly realized what was happening. brilliant way to streamline backtracking.

loved all the easter eggs. it really rewarded exploration. i totally ignored the map throughout my playthrough, relying on the old metroid "bomb everything" tactic to get around, so i found quite a few. including (spoilers):

-3 large metroid sprite sculptures
-the "grim picker"
-mario land - blew me away
-shy guy's playroom. felt bad for killing shy guy's pet though

i found some bugs too:

in the long vertical shaft that leads to the energy tank below the varia suit, i found two spots where you can get stuck, both while in morph ball form and scrolling from one side of screen to the other:

http://imgur.com/a/dyvqv

at the start of the hallway with the regeneration station with the dead body, when in ball form if you hug the top of the rocks when transitioning screens, you will get stuck in the wall:

http://imgur.com/a/9kvpv

near the top of the metroid hive, if you bomb jump here, you can get stuck in a wall:

http://imgur.com/a/S2AXj

this one isn't a gamebreaking bug, but i thought it was interesting. somewhat hard to describe, but in the aforementioned hallway where the first regeneration station is located, if you bomb the explodable ground directly to the right edge of the screen, and immediately move through the screen transition, in the next room gravity will be reduced outside of the water, just as it would be while in the water. this room doesn't scroll as it normally would, so these effects are confined to this one small area. if you head to the room from which you came, the physics will reset and the game will play normally again.

http://imgur.com/a/olOFD

i did find another "bug", one that allows for some major sequence breaking and other exploits, but i hesitate to mention it because it serves as more of a cool feature, rather than a detriment to gameplay. it would be a shame if it were somehow removed. it's probably something you're aware of already anyway, considering it allowed me to find this:

overall, i am stunned by the quality of this game. i'm a gigantic fan of the original metroid and have played multiple hacks of it previously. this one crushes them all. new items, new mechanics, new environments, new music; this ain't even a hack, this is whole new goddamn game. nintendo couldn't have done it better themselves. unfortunately you guys aren't nintendo so obviously you can't get paid for this, but you really should. hopefully the rogue dawn team sticks together and you guys can create a project for which you can receive funding. kickstart something and i would gladly support it. you guys are too talented to not continue working.

if you guys do start another project, i would love to see it be another nes game. with the nes classic on the market and the hack of it allowing users to upload nes compatible games, the nes can be a living system once again. it's an open platform that anyone can develop for meaning the potential for many more nes inspired releases. hopefully.

just throwing this out there: how about a castlevania-like game for the nes that is more in line with the later "metroidvania" titles, than the more linear early titles? think circle of the moon/symphony of the night but on the nes. would be pretty awesome. just call it CastleMania or something and you could maybe sell it.

finally, what was the deal with the two survivors and the energy tank? is there any consequence to the decision to take it or not to take it? i didn't take it, btw. kind of wish i did now[/spoiler]

Thanks for the feedback and bug report!  :cool:

EDIT:  Since your character is evil you don't get a reward for leaving the energy tank.  The federation is your enemy.

Quote from: RealRed on January 30, 2017, 12:15:58 AM
Could we try 11 06 26? I bet that'd look pretty sick. Alternatively, 0F 06 26 may look even better.

Here they are:

I was also messing around with the concept of having an environmental suit on the surface area and probably hive as well.

A more refined environmental suit: (surface and water area).

Narpas Sword

I'm in the Metroid base. I guess it won't be long until I fight the last boss.

One question about an easter egg:
[spoiler]I have found a handful of rooms that seem to be easter eggs (2 big stone Metroids rooms, Grimlocks room with the codes...)
But I've also found ShyGuy's room which seems to trigger something in the game when you kill the worm thing. Does this actually have an impact on the ending?[/spoiler]

vivify93

I like 0F 06 26 a lot. Not sure what the environmental suit would be for--I prefer Dawn's look as it is now.

Scout1297

I honestly do not know which palette I like more now, if I had to choose, it would be between these 5: (0C, 1B, 36), (0B, 18, 36), (11, 1C, 38), (17, 08, 10), or (08, 18, 36)

Grimlock

Quote from: vivify93 on January 30, 2017, 09:28:28 AM
I like 0F 06 26 a lot. Not sure what the environmental suit would be for--I prefer Dawn's look as it is now.

Metroid 1 (NEStroid) has the ability to have different player sprites for each area.  The player sprite tiles are repeated.  This being the case it's possible to have her "put on" an environmental suit when she enters toxic areas.  The cavernous surface and water area are full of toxic gases.  Also the final area is toxic thus an environmental suit is a pretty neat addition.  The normal dawn sprite will remain in all other areas.

Quote from: Narpas Sword on January 30, 2017, 05:14:10 AM
I'm in the Metroid base. I guess it won't be long until I fight the last boss.

One question about an easter egg:
[spoiler]I have found a handful of rooms that seem to be easter eggs (2 big stone Metroids rooms, Grimlocks room with the codes...)
But I've also found ShyGuy's room which seems to trigger something in the game when you kill the worm thing. Does this actually have an impact on the ending?[/spoiler]

The Easter egg rooms are just for fun (I've even added a couple more well hidden Easter egg rooms for the new update).

vivify93

Oh, I see! I'm all for it then. It would make sense that Dawn would put on a helmet when she's diving or in a toxic area.

passarbye

Quote from: Grimlock on January 30, 2017, 11:36:11 AM
Metroid 1 (NEStroid) has the ability to have different player sprites for each area.  The player sprite tiles are repeated.  This being the case it's possible to have her "put on" an environmental suit when she enters toxic areas.  The cavernous surface and water area are full of toxic gases.  Also the final area is toxic thus an environmental suit is a pretty neat addition.  The normal dawn sprite will remain in all other areas.

(I've even added a couple more well hidden Easter egg rooms for the new update).
I didn't know you could do different player sprites per-area like that, fuckin' neato. also YAY more hidden stuff!

vivify93

I mistakenly thought that the two palette suggestions RealRed made were the only ones we could pick from now. If that's not the case, then I actually cast my vote for 17 08 10 again. And if you're at all OK with people suggesting Varia Suit colors, I think Dawn's Varia could change 08 to 18 when you collect it.

Edit 1 - Here's how it'd look. Is it too similar to Samus?

Edit 2 - If you're more keen on Dawn looking different, I also like 11 1C 38. 1C can change to 13 for Varia. What does everyone else think? Anyone have different color ideas? I don't wanna be acting like my opinion is the only one that matters. :razz:

Edit 3 - I also like this. As usual, Power Suit on left and Varia Suit on right.

SacredHooves

To clarify somethings with people that I've noticed has been a subject

ShyGuy's Playroom boss:[spoiler] Shaktool; weakness [none] hp [Boss] purpose [gag/full restore] [/spoiler]

As far as the suits go: I was expecting a Pirate fusion kind of armor look vs some of these Preditor-ish looking views of some of the armors. I not saying I think they suck, but I don't think the fit Dawn's whole look. I like the lighter color themes though. I loved how Varia turned her from pale grey to almost an aquamarine/turquoise-ish color.

Narpas Sword

It's really funny when you kill the Shaktool and the ShyGuy walks away like a boss.

Xenesis

This hack got featured on Kotaku today ( http://kotaku.com/full-metroid-prequel-created-by-fans-1791843895 )

Everyone grab a copy before it gets C&D'd.  :<_<:

Grimlock

Quote from: vivify93 on February 02, 2017, 05:30:16 PM
I can't imagine how freaked out Grimlock must be right now.

I'm not concerned, Nintendo isn't going to waste their time and resources on something that doesn't distribute any copyrighted materials.  It's a patch file that only contains original content from Snarfblam, Optomon, and myself.  The patch file by itself does nothing, it's up to the end user to do with it as they will.

Version 1.20 update:

We're going to try to wrap up any changes not already completed over this weekend and shoot for an update release for next week.

EDIT:  I'd like to get some feedback from everyone; what power-ups would you like to see applied when you start your 2nd play through?  I was thinking wave beam and spring ball, nothing else.

vivify93

Glad to see you're continuing on unperturbed! I think Wave Beam and Spring Ball would be fine additions on a second playthrough. Maybe instead, you could do Wall Jump and Spring Ball? Or Wave Beam and Wall Jump. I think Wall Jump would make for a really interesting power-up to start off with on the second playthrough. But would it break the flow of the game? But I am happy with just the suggestions of Wave Beam and Spring Ball. :)

PonchGaming

Maybe just leave it as is, and have all the power ups that you collected on your first playthrough, and you will have them on the second one.

PKstarship

I personally think Wall Jump alone would be good for the second playthrough, it'd allow you to go through the game in almost any way you'd want to (and you'd also. be able to pick up Spring Ball early if you wanted to)