News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

[M1] Metroid - Rogue Dawn - Version 1.21

Started by Grimlock, January 14, 2017, 12:28:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vivify93

Quote from: Beardy on January 27, 2017, 01:36:38 PMI attempted to make her shoulders smaller and straighten up her posture.
Maybe the shading can be touched up, but I don't think it looks that bad once you get used to it.
I actually really rather enjoy this alteration. Here's a further edit on top of this with some black in it and different shoulders, with the original Samus sprite from Metroid 1 added in just for a fun comparison. :grin:

Registered

Since everybody else is doing it  :grin:

Quietus

Me too, though it feels like something is little off... :O_o:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

squishy_ichigo

[spoiler=look what I found on google]

Now, /that/ is a good sprite, gg guys, well played, thread over, see you next mission

edit: looking into it further, the gfx are from a hack called mdbtroid, by Infinity's End, and in his readme he says:
CAN I HACK YOUR HACK?
I don't mind if you do, just be sure to give credit where credit's due.  It took quite a bit of time and effort to create this hack, and besides, it's just a respectful thing to do.

With some palette tweaks, I could see this fitting nicely into Rogue Dawn actually. And, it would have the added bonus of having all of the graphics finished already, just needing to be moved over.[/spoiler]

vivify93

It doesn't fit with Rogue Dawn's style though, and Grimlock would need permission from the original artist to use it in Rogue Dawn.

epg

Thanks for the reply Grimlock!

I finished the game today and have two new bug reports. First, if you bomb the security card floor you fall and land in the boneyard! Second, the game crashes when I took the escape elevator. I'm playing on a PowerPak on AVS so it could be their fault.

Looking forward to playing 1.20.

Grimlock

Quote from: epg on January 27, 2017, 10:08:52 PM
Thanks for the reply Grimlock!

I finished the game today and have two new bug reports. First, if you bomb the security card floor you fall and land in the boneyard! Second, the game crashes when I took the escape elevator. I'm playing on a PowerPak on AVS so it could be their fault.

Looking forward to playing 1.20.

Thanks, those bugs have been addressed in 1.20, thanks.

And now for something totally off the wall, I've been experimenting with various suit designs for a "pirate power suit".  After all if Dawn did have a power suit what would it look like?  So here's an odd very alien suit that I came up with.  What do you guys think about something along these lines, as in Dawns power suit if she had one (build out of pirate tech).  Or do you all prefer a Samus power suit for the second play?

Prepare your retinas for impact! (Not responsible for damaged vision, view at your own risk!)

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Fe

That's actually really cool! I like both this and the samus sprite to be honest, maybe multiple versions can be made?

Scout1297

I like the sprite, but maybe a different pallete?

vivify93

Hmm. On one hand, I like the idea of unlocking the heroine of Metroid after beating the game once--I'm all about unlockable characters. But ultimately, I think this game should be Dawn's and Dawn's alone. So I vote for a Dawn Power Suit on the second play.

SacredHooves

Echo what vivify said: but that purple is a bit unsettling on the eyes. Maybe choose a different color and the Pirate tech will be better :D

epg

Love the pirate power suit! I agree Samus should stay out of Dawn's game :)

Any chance I could join the 1.20 beta test, if there is one?

(Sorry for calling you "grimstar" earlier, Grimlock)

vivify93

Quote from: epg on January 28, 2017, 01:51:51 PM(Sorry for calling you "grimstar" earlier, Grimlock)
He's a star in my eyes.  :lol:

RealRed

I like the new suit. Not too keen on the helmet. The area between the faceplate glass and the dreads coming out of the back of the head are nonexistent. Makes it feel a lot less sculpturally formed than the rest of the body and feels kind of janky. No room for the head or the head isn't human head shaped.

The dawn sprite is reminiscent of a justin bailey samus but isn't screaming that it is samus. Perhaps a helmet reminiscent of samus' powersuit to retain that connection between the two characters? That would grab for a middle ground between the two designs and characters. Just a thought.

Definitely NOT a fan of the palette. Too similar to the two regular dawn palettes. I'm gonna want to look and feel different in the suit or it won't feel as rewarding. Also I'm really hoping the varia suit is RealRed.  :grin:

squishy_ichigo

[spoiler=i imagine you are joking, but i thought i'd point out that the nes is limited to a very small number of colors, none of which are #FF0000][/spoiler]

The sprite could use a bit more work, but I do like the direction you are going in with it, an alien suit sounds pcul.

I agree with RealRed though, it is a bit too similar to Dawns normal palette....

RealRed

My turn...

Could've worked on this a bit more but eh. I liked implying something like coattails and tubes curving around towards dawn's back. Too lazy to do the legs right.

AuroraxPhilic

This whole f#%king thread is a train reck. #TheSpritening2017

What is wrong with you people...making inferior versions to grim's original design. Just look at ichigo's profile now! See whatcha did!? XD

Wholly Jebus!! That new blue thingy gingy design is utter badass3ry!

vivify93

I like RealRed's version of the sprite, though I personally don't have issues with the original--I'm not too artistically-minded. Since I heard you were working with him to make the original Samus sprite you were considering, I think it might be a good idea if you two collaborate on Dawn's Power Suit, Grimlock.

AuroraxPhilic

I've come up with my own designs. I think you'll find them very impressive indeed.  :nod:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

[spoiler][/spoiler]

[spoiler][/spoiler]

[spoiler][/spoiler]

[spoiler][/spoiler]

vivify93

The third one is my favorite

Edit -

Grimlock

Quote from: RealRed on January 28, 2017, 09:23:00 PM
My turn...

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Could've worked on this a bit more but eh. I liked implying something like coattails and tubes curving around towards dawn's back. Too lazy to do the legs right.

:cheers: :bounce:  :bounce: Winner!!  :bounce:  :bounce:  :cheers:

Nicely done!  I was just about to get back on my sprite and start tinkering around with the palette and design but I think you captured the intent of the sprite pretty spot on!  What palette HEX values are you using, I think they're exactly what we need.  Also did you consider the palette for the Varia item pickup?

Send it on over.

Runner up:

[spoiler]

Looks TOO evil though...

Also the baldness thing...

[/spoiler]

Registered

Quote from: RealRed on January 28, 2017, 09:23:00 PM
My turn...

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Reminds me more of Turrican than Metroid.

RealRed

Ehehe, I actually drew this in photoshop. I can duplicate the pixels in colors in tlp maybe tonight, although I'd probably touch this up further towards perfection.

Scout1297

@RealRed I think he meant the NES hex number for the color, if you look at the color palette that was given to you up above, there is a hex number over each type of color