News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

New Tile bugs

Started by Odb718, January 10, 2017, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Odb718

I've made 3 new tiles that are breakable.
Tiles 51, 52, and 53 for Brinstar. I use it in Object 44 in Brinstar in room 11,3.

The tile appears fine on the screen, and I can break it with no problem. If the brick respawns, it kind of corrupts everything around it. If I exit the room it's back to normal. If I get the brick far enough off screen before it respawns it's fine too.

How do I get Metroid to get these tiles to work better?
I'd like to learn how to make other tiles breakable and have them return to the correct block. It seems sometimes they revert to a different block.

Flower

Quote from: Odb718 on January 10, 2017, 03:03:14 PM
I've made 3 new tiles that are breakable.
Tiles 51, 52, and 53 for Brinstar. I use it in Object 44 in Brinstar in room 11,3.

The tile appears fine on the screen, and I can break it with no problem. If the brick respawns, it kind of corrupts everything around it. If I exit the room it's back to normal. If I get the brick far enough off screen before it respawns it's fine too.

How do I get Metroid to get these tiles to work better?
I'd like to learn how to make other tiles breakable and have them return to the correct block. It seems sometimes they revert to a different block.
I experienced the same issues, too. I even abused some tiles' behavior of not coming back, thus being temporary blocks.

Grimlock

The breakable blocks have a very specific set of rules in order to work properly.  You have to use the breakable tiles in your combo in the same order that they were used originally.  What I mean is that you can't mix and match them like other tiles.  The game engine expects the tiles to start at a specific tile (see how they were used originally) followed by the next three tiles in the order of upper left, upper right, lower left, and lower right (in your 4 tile 16x16 combo).  If you start at the wrong tile or mix them up they respawn all goofy.  I'd give you more specifics (tile numbers) but I'm away from my PC right now (tablet).

Flower

Quote from: Grimlock on January 10, 2017, 11:28:45 PM
The breakable blocks have a very specific set of rules in order to work properly.  You have to use the breakable tiles in your combo in the same order that they were used originally.  What I mean is that you can't mix and match them like other tiles.  The game engine expects the tiles to start at a specific tile (see how they were used originally) followed by the next three tiles in the order of upper left, upper right, lower left, and lower right (in your 4 tile 16x16 combo).  If you start at the wrong tile or mix them up they respawn all goofy.  I'd give you more specifics (tile numbers) but I'm away from my PC right now (tablet).
This is right, you can't build them in another order, or they will reform in another way, i.e. they will look different afterwards.
But Brinstars breakable blocks 70-7b perform a serious bug, that when you shoot them and they try to reform, something bad happens (didn't someone call them "bad blocks"?). They form an invisible line the player can't cross. That's bad.
I simply do not use those tiles at all!
@snarfblam is this correctable?

Furthermore in the progress those bad blocks try to reform, for a short period of time you see other tiles, for example tiles 8c-8f when you shoot a breakable made of tiles 7c-7f.

Tiles 7c-7f do something that's interesting, what i already mentioned above, they do not reform at all, that's something neat i use for my level design, because this makes them breakables without being a possible permastuck.

Whereas breakable blocks with tile number >=80 work correctly.

Odb718

Thanks for the info guys!
It'd be awesome if we could get those tiles to work a little better. Mainly 70 - 7B.
I ended up making a compromise in 3 of my rooms to get a 4th room that had the problem to work properly.
I needed 2 breakable blocks. I ended up using tile layer pro to edit the sprite of 7C-7F and used that in 1 of the 3 rooms. The other 2 I ended up switching the blocks.
So that gave me one breakable.
And the second one, I just needed an "edge" block. my little taper off blocks

The one on the end there. ^^^ I wanted a breakable block like that.

Knowing what Grimlock said about them needing to be all 4 in a row, I just did a little experiment
The block I made is
93FF
and the FF is air like normal. When it respawns it becomes
Which is the same look except without the taper. So I have both of my new breakable blocks kinda. I do want the old one I replaced in three rooms though  :sad:
* Odb718 hears MetroidMst say, "uuhmm, SNAAAARFF", in the bg.

----
I lied. The 7C-7F Block shows up in Editroid's physics viewer as breakable, but in game it's completely solid.
How can I get it to be bombable?

Flower

Quote from: Odb718 on January 11, 2017, 08:26:02 AM

I lied. The 7C-7F Block shows up in Editroid's physics viewer as breakable, but in game it's completely solid.
How can I get it to be bombable?
That's strange indeed. For me it works fine besides the strange behavior of not respawning. But it is for sure shootable. I don't know which conditions have to met that it works out or not. Furthermore i already included health and hurt blocks, maybe there is some coherence!? Snarf you God please help  :colonrightv:

Grimlock

Why not just use all four tiles of a known working breakable block and color the appropriate tile with transparency?  I don't think the "fake" (solid) air tile in appearance corner will have any real affect on game play.  Reengineering how the breakable blocks work seems a bit extreme.  In game design (especially ROM hacking) compromises and trickery have to be utilized to achieve some design goals.  In the end there's usually a solution if you're patient and think in clever ways to come up with a solution.  You have to think "outside the box".

Odb718

well you can actually stand on the edges.

If you were to just color it see thru you'd be able to stand on air.
And because I have a ton of these little taper offs around the maps it'd look odd.

The main problem is I'm back to needing two breakable blocks.