News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Room of the Month - November 2016

Started by Vismund Cygnus, October 02, 2016, 12:57:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who made the Room of the Month?

Miranda Gemini
4 (21.1%)
Retroo
7 (36.8%)
Hawntah
4 (21.1%)
Passarbye
4 (21.1%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Vismund Cygnus

Jiffy

Quote from: Miranda Gemini on October 02, 2016, 12:57:05 AM
I did a room:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
It looks nice, but my main gripe is the blend between the bricks and the grey filler. If you had another colour in between the bricks and the filler, it'd look nicer.
Also what is that chozo hand in the top right corner of the lower shaft?  :heheh:

Hawntah

biospark

@Hawntah That green is a bit uneasy on my eyes. Maybe it should be darker or less saturated?

But I appreciate that you're the only one submitting GBA Metroid rooms.

passarbye

Quote from: biospark on October 22, 2016, 09:08:13 PM
But I appreciate that you're the only one submitting GBA Metroid rooms.
He's not the only one, I've just been lazy/late.

Item room/Hall (still haven't played with enemy colors yet)
[spoiler][/spoiler]

biospark

Quote from: passarbye on October 22, 2016, 11:34:53 PM
He's not the only one, I've just been lazy/late.

Sorry to forget about you! The room looks nice. Are your rooms part of a hack?

passarbye

Quote from: biospark on October 22, 2016, 11:51:03 PM
Sorry to forget about you! The room looks nice. Are your rooms part of a hack?
It's cool, I've been doing other things recently.
Yes, I am working on a hack. Anything that I post from here on out will be for an actual MZM hack. :^_^:
Most of my previous stuff was concept (but actually built in mage) and trying to work with the original tilesets, which I am understanding how to use better each day, because they are so limited.
I'll eventually get around to importing my own sets, but for now I want to make a hack with mostly vanilla assets.

Vismund Cygnus

Jefe did a room that was nice enough to win October's contest:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

This week, we have an even split of Super Metroid and GBAtroid, perhaps marking the beginning of a new era?
[spoiler=Miranda Gemini][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Retroo][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Hawntah][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Passarbye][/spoiler]
You know the drill by now; look at the pretty pictures, decide which one is your favourite, and give them your vote!
And while we're talking about rooms, don't forget to make your own, and submit them for the final month of the year! Exciting times are ahead, Metconst!

Quietus

Retroo for me. I can't really pinpoint what it is, but it just seemed like it had structures that I'd not really seen before. :^_^:

Vismund Cygnus

[spoiler=Me]It's the first room I've made in like, a year. Obviously it's not brilliant but I thought I'd share it anyway.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Retroo]I'm really not sure how this counts as a room, in that I have absolutely no clue how it works in any way, shape or form as a room. Sure, it looks interesting, but how does it work? What happens when you hit the floor, or either side of the room? Are there doors? I'm very confused. Also it's what appears to be unaltered Project Base palette, which is admittedly gorgeous but also a little uncreative.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Hawntah]What can I say? It's a nice, clean room. Looks super practical and easy to move through, with what is obviously a few different ways to actually move through (I spy a time saving crumble block for the way back). Nothing super impressive, but some really nice level design.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Passarbye]Great room. I'm not entirely sure how much work was done on the tileset (I'm not overly familiar with GBAtroid stuff) but I love how well the cave tiles blend with the man-made structural stuff. You've done a really good job of making the room look like it's in some sort of ancient, crumbling ruin. Can't say I understand why the top corridor part exists, though I must assume there's something hidden up there...[/spoiler]
Passarbye gets my vote, though it was close between him and Hawntah. I look forward to seeing more really strong showings from the GBA hackers now that they have a superior editor to SMILE.

passarbye

Quote from: Miranda Gemini on November 02, 2016, 08:04:39 PM
[spoiler=Passarbye]Great room. I'm not entirely sure how much work was done on the tileset (I'm not overly familiar with GBAtroid stuff) but I love how well the cave tiles blend with the man-made structural stuff. You've done a really good job of making the room look like it's in some sort of ancient, crumbling ruin. Can't say I understand why the top corridor part exists, though I must assume there's something hidden up there...[/spoiler]
Passarbye gets my vote, though it was close between him and Hawntah. I look forward to seeing more really strong showings from the GBA hackers now that they have a superior editor to SMILE.
Thanks for the vote, It is a hidden item room/corridor that requires bombs to progress. I haven't made any tileset changes with this room (or the hack I'm working on). Palette changes are about the extent of the tileset editing I've done.

I voted for Hawntah earlier this week. We need more MZM/Fusion hacking!

Hawntah

I think I'll go with Miranda Gemini, with passarbye in close second.

biospark

Announcement: I will cease development of MAGE permantly unless someone submits a GBA Metroid room each month.

Just kidding. Not really.