News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Y-Faster Thread

Started by DonnyDonovan, December 07, 2016, 12:00:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonnyDonovan

I didn't see a thread about this game.  If I missed it I apologize.  Anyway, it's great.  Been playing it nonstop trying to optimize routes and do it quicker.  One question - Is Screw Attack in the game?  It's the one major powerup I've never found.  My highest completion percentage within the time limit is 77% in about 55 minutes.  I think I had 105 missiles, 25 supers and PBs, 8 tanks, I think 4 reserves (for sure 3), and all powerups except for SA. 

I think I could easily go sub 40 and probably push sub 30 with some more practice and route optimization.  I've only completely played through it twice so far.  First time I was having fun exploring, totally forgot about the clock, and you know the rest. 

Cpt.Glitch

Y-Faster was a contest hack and as far as I know contest hacks usually don't have their own thread. As for the screw attack thing, I wouldn't know as I haven't played it yet.

DonnyDonovan

Gotcha.  Well it certainly deserves a thread.  It's extremely fun and with great replay value. 

Metaquarius

Glad you like this hack. Be sure to leave a review here : http://metroidconstruction.com/hack.php?id=324

Screw Attack is located in Northstar, somewhere behind one of those SMB2 eagle heads, just look carefully.

passarbye

When I first started playing Y-Faster I thought the game was crashing after a while, had no idea about the clock lol.
I don't think I've completed it yet, but it is definitely great. Been through it many times, just no completion.

DonnyDonovan

I go get Grapple and then Varia first thing.  Takes only a minute or two, you can also quickly grab 15 missiles, and then you can be sloppier (and faster) when running around since damage is halved. 

Edit:  I did 80% completion in 43 minutes.  Easily still 3 to 5 minutes worth of correctable errors although my boss fights were all about as quick as I can get them.  I love this game.  It's very addictive.

advancedpillow

I am in Darkstar, in the room after the room with the long drop to the power bomb pickup (through the speedboost breakable wall) and the game just ends, in the middle of gameplay, screen fades to black, and the Ceres explodes cutscene plays without sound. Game ends; sometimes goes back to the title screen, sometimes just stays as a black screen. Dead. :(  Is there a time limit to this hack? Did I run out of time or does this just not work on SNES hardware? Was loving it so far. The Y in Meta's ZYX series.

PonchGaming

Well yes, there is a time limit. IIRC, it's about an hour or so. You gotta go fast to beat this.

advancedpillow

Quote from: PonchGaming on November 20, 2017, 12:25:14 AM
Well yes, there is a time limit. IIRC, it's about an hour or so. You gotta go fast to beat this.

:blush: Thank you for confirming! I wasn't sure because it didn't mention a time limit in the readme.

DonnyDonovan

That's the whole gimmick.  You have an hour or it's game over.

advancedpillow

Seems like a countDOWN would have been more appropriate then.

Edit: Beat it. About 45 minutes. 94%. End credits song, 10/10.

Edit2: I want to say this is one of my favorite hacks of all time. Well done! So fun.

Aran;Jaeger

DonnyDonovan

That was entertaining and worth the 25 minutes on a Saturday morning.

Steel Sparkle

Yea that was pretty good. I liked the custom music that was used in this hack. It was like a finished version of the ALT zebes patch.

@Metaquarius
Do you have any plans to release the music as a separate patch?

Ri2nOneRok

Just to confirm, is the time limit an hour exactly? Im a bit ocd and will be too scared to attempt to finish it without prior knowledge.  :O_o:

love instrument modifications. crateria theme is epic.

Jordan5

Quote from: Ri2nOneRok on April 23, 2018, 12:39:49 PM
Just to confirm, is the time limit an hour exactly?

Yes (in game time, of course)

Tower

could someone post this hack without time limit?
I know that it defeats the purpose of the hack by i hate time limits.

Quietus

You could try using the cheat facility in your emulator to freeze the timer.

Metaquarius

Add this PAR code to your emulator : 7E09DE00
(It just sets IGT minutes to zero)
Works on Y-Faster 2 Fast too.