News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid old school

Started by tbolt76, January 26, 2010, 01:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hiroshi Mishima

Sorry to hear about the problem, but hopefully everything will go smoothly. Who knows, maybe when you start remaking it, it'll become even better than the last version was! :D

Scyzer

When will people learn to make backups? And I'm not just talking about have a few extra copies of your rom somewhere on the computer...
Flash drive! Email an IPS! I've seen this soooo many frikken times.
"Oh don't worry I won't lose it, I keep backups!" *1 Month later*  "So uhhhh my computer got a virus and I lost everything on it..."

Phazar

That's the reason I often backup entire hack folders to the Internet/flash drive, etc.  I never trust my own computer.

tbolt76

Here are some dedone old school roome  tell me what you think

JAM

Good palette for gold Brinstar. And BG really fits it.
As for bubble room, you can use acid there (if you want) and decrease it's damaging power to Metroid 1 level.

tbolt76

heres the problem

JAM

Are this things moving with rain? Or clean air is looking like that?

tbolt76

yep  its the clean air  and then the junk carries over to other rooms

JAM

Show me your CRE tilemap. At least for graphic set 1. I don't sure but cause of this is overwriting last 16*16 tile of CRE (black tile near X's)

tbolt76

heres what you requested

JAM

Please, add also CRE tiletable. For now, after applying these files I haven't got this effect

tbolt76

hope this helps

JAM

Oh... Yes, now I've got it. Will try to fix this bug

I was right, there is something wrong with 16*16 tile number $FF.

Don't even know, WTF is it, but extracting CRE tiletable from clean ROM and applying it to corrupted one should fix this problem

tbolt76

That fixed the problem   thanks alot for your help. :grin:

tbolt76

Heres a prototype room for maridia   any suggestions?

JAM

Really cool palette! Keep it.

As for the doors, red numbers are wrong. Read the beginning of this topic. And don't ever copy the doors from CRE. Open another room, place cursor on the door hold down right button and copy the door with bubble (should be 4*2 blocks in the clipboard). Then open your room and paste the door when it should be

tbolt76

Those doors there are just for show  i just put a room together to get a  rough idea for maridia  but ill use that pallette for upper maridia

Hiroshi Mishima

I seriously like that palette. Pretty schnazy job with the colours, and the shaft looks great. Even if it's only meant to give a rough idea.

pomtt

Quote from: Hiroshi Mishima on October 31, 2010, 01:15:12 AM
I seriously like that palette.
same here the blues and the purples go well with each other and makes sense.carry on with the hack.  :awesome:

tbolt76

Ok heres the deal  im going to be moving to a new house in the next week or so  as soon as we get settled in and unpacked  the old school project will resume  i had a little setback  i gues you cant just copy rooms that were messed up i guess

tbolt76

I am pleased to announce that work on old school has recommenced.  old brinstar is done 100% done and im about halfway done with kraids hideout

JAM

Welcome back!
Nice to see that you're are still working on this wonderful project =) Keep on doing!

tbolt76

ok folks heres an update. I will be starting completly over because thanks to Dso  and you guys i can now remake the old areas without screwing up the bgs or other tiles so my game will be way better than i expected  and since ive done the areas so much  Ill pretty much blast through them all.  and keep in mind this isnt going to be a exact copy of original metroid. the rooms will be bigger to account for samus size jump and speed  and there will be additional areas and  maridia and wrecked ship will be redone  m1 style  (if you can find it that space jump will be very handy in old tourians escape shaft.  well back to work this ones gonna be a beauty

Parabox

Wait, accommodations for speed? So if it took me 10 seconds to walk from one end of the room to the other, so it will be with running in your hack?

Quietus

You could always try adjusting some of the jump physics via hex tweaks.