News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

General Help Thread

Started by biospark, November 04, 2016, 08:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cpt.Glitch

Quote from: Tower on April 24, 2018, 04:55:22 PM
I want to create a hack.How hard would be to change long beam into a spazer and change wave beam sprite to be closer to the one from SM?
Also how hard it would be to create ammunition system like the one in Hyper Metroid?Can somebody tell how to do that?
If you're new to hacking, I'd suggest starting small rather than what you're wanting. The hyper metroid ammunition system is technically already created for zero mission (by me) but I have yet to add a proper HUD.

JumZhu

I plan to make a full version of the hack. There are two questions that are critical to the overall design. 1: How to make ridley activated by default, instead of relying on gravity clothing to activate. 2: In the game, how to change the total number of collections for each item in the upper left corner of the minimap.

Cpt.Glitch

To make Ridley appear anytime, perform this hex tweak.
0x322D2 = 01 D1 to 01 E0

To change the item totals, go to this address 0x3459A0.
These values are the number of items per area.
It is four bytes per area, in order of area. (Brinstar, then Kraid, ect.)
The first byte is Energy Tanks, the second is Missiles, the third is Super Missiles, and the fourth is Power Bombs.

JumZhu

Quote from: Cpt.Glitch on April 26, 2018, 03:54:04 AM
To make Ridley appear anytime, perform this hex tweak.
0x322D2 = 01 D1 to 01 E0

To change the item totals, go to this address 0x3459A0.
These values are the number of items per area.
It is four bytes per area, in order of area. (Brinstar, then Kraid, ect.)
The first byte is Energy Tanks, the second is Missiles, the third is Super Missiles, and the fourth is Power Bombs.
Oh! Great!!! Just change a few numbers and do it.thank you very much! :lol:

Tower

When i open the item menu in my hack(its not finished yet) all i see are bombblockes in the background and i dont know how to fix it.Help

Cpt.Glitch

Quote from: Tower on May 20, 2018, 05:47:10 PM
When i open the item menu in my hack(its not finished yet) all i see are bombblockes in the background and i dont know how to fix it.Help
Could you send a screenshot please. Bomb blocks on the item menu sounds a lot like corruption.

MetroidNerd#9001

Off all else fails, check previous versions. You're making backups right? If you're not making backups, start making backups every 30 minutes to save yourself a lot of grief in the future. If you have been making backups, check every recent version until the glitch doesn't happen, and see what is different in the HEX editor. Use the ROM minimapin the SMMM to help you figure out what means what to figure out what went wrong then fix it. Get used to is, because you're probably going to have to do this a lot in the future if you get into hacking.

Edit: I just realized this is talking about Zero Mission. Oops. I think this still will work out, and don't forget to make backups!

OneOf99

Quote from: Tower on May 21, 2018, 03:43:54 AM

Yeah this seems like either pointers got changed or corruption (which could be both obviously). Go to the offset for for the minimap menu and try importing vanilla graphics.

Tower

Can somebody tell me also how to do all hex stuff in metroid since i never did it?

Tower

Tower

How to change colors of enemies,their sprites and most important change colors of beam,and suit of samus?

can somebody direct me to mage tutorial?Mostly how to create custom tiles and custom tilesets.

mccad

Quote from: Tower on June 06, 2018, 09:26:08 AM
How to change colors of enemies,their sprites and most important change colors of beam,and suit of samus?

can somebody direct me to mage tutorial?Mostly how to create custom tiles and custom tilesets.

What you're looking for is the palette editor. The palette offsets for samus's suits are all documented on the wiki, and you can access the enemy palettes through the sprite editor. Can't tell you where the beam palettes are though as I have no experience editing them myself

FelixWright

How to change colors of enemies and change colors of beam?

Learn2Wiki

How to change their sprites?

Read the Gol-Dern doc that comes with MAGE

can somebody direct me to mage tutorial? Mostly how to create custom tiles and custom tilesets.

Most of the time, custom tilesets is as easy as importing into MAGE from an image (Don't know how to do this? READ THE DOC)

However, it is good to know how to make custom graphics the hard way, for things like changing sprite or breakable block graphics. My personal tool of choice for this is Tile Molester.

Here is a guide I've made on the wiki about using Tile Molester

The wiki and the MAGE technical are plentiful in graphics and palette offsets so you can load and edit them in Tile Molester. For Sprites and Tilesets though you will have to export them from MAGE because they are compressed in ROM. Again, Read the DOC and you will understand this.

R E A D   T H E   D O C
E  E
A    A
D      D

T           T
H            H
E               E

D                    D
O                      O
C                         C

JumZhu

I want to know what is controlling in this room will show this text?

FelixWright

Quote from: JumZhu on June 13, 2018, 07:15:04 AM

we can't see the image. I suggest using vgy.me

JumZhu

we can't see the image. I suggest using vgy.me
[/quote]
vgy.me upload 0%,image in rar file

FelixWright

Quote from: JumZhu on June 14, 2018, 08:37:42 AM

ah okay.

whoa, what room is this?

JumZhu

Quote from: Cosmic on June 14, 2018, 06:46:51 PM

ah okay.

whoa, what room is this?

This is the room in the Metroid action. I don't know why this room will display this text.I didn't intentionally set it.
In addition, in the original version, chozodia Room 0 will display Chozodia text at the bottom. What is this controlled?

FelixWright

Quote from: JumZhu on June 14, 2018, 10:42:32 PM
Quote from: Cosmic on June 14, 2018, 06:46:51 PM

ah okay.

whoa, what room is this?

This is the room in the Metroid action. I don't know why this room will display this text.I didn't intentionally set it.
In addition, in the original version, chozodia Room 0 will display Chozodia text at the bottom. What is this controlled?

Editors -> Text Editor
This will give you what you want.

Cpt.Glitch

I believe he is asking how to prevent the text from displaying. If so, you must use the Connection Editor, and alter/remove the appropriate "locations names."

JumZhu

Quote from: Cpt.Glitch on June 17, 2018, 05:29:27 PM
I believe he is asking how to prevent the text from displaying. If so, you must use the Connection Editor, and alter/remove the appropriate "locations names."
Oh, I always thought that connection settings were only about the door. Even so, I still don't know why the Chozodia 0 room is displayed in my hack. Maybe bug in mage

115Percent

Hey guys, I'm pretty new to hacking in general. What I'm seeking is really unambitious so I was hoping someone could point me into the easiest direction to get it done. For simple personal preferences, I want switch 2 of the ending cards in Zero Mission. That is to say, I want to move one of the pictures you're rewarded with for completing certain requirements, into another requirement. I was hoping maybe they all existed as spites in rooms or something but scanning through MAGE it doesn't appear to be that simple.

Cpt.Glitch

You can change ending images with mage by going to Tools > Import > Ending From Image.
Since you want to just swap two existing ones, you can just find the images of the endings on the internet (or make them yourself) and import them into the spots you with them to be in. Just keep in mind the images must be 240 x 416 pixels.