News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

General Help Thread

Started by biospark, November 04, 2016, 08:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biospark

Quote from: Cpt.Glitch on February 03, 2017, 01:05:43 AM
Again this is probably me just being dumb, so forgive me.
My E-tank/missile/ect. tiles no longer animate unless they are the "Hidden" clipdata type. At first, I thought it was me overwriting placeholder tiles in the tileset, so I edited the tileset to not be in those areas, but turns out that is not the issue.

I'm guessing you imported a tileset from an image. If you did, you can use the tile table editor to fix it. Just replace them with the tank tiles near the top.

Also I'm now realizing that it would be helpful to place tile numbers around the selected block, so I'll add that in the next update.

Cpt.Glitch

Ah yes that is what I did. Glad it's an easy fix. Thank you!

FelixWright

Is there a way I can increase the size of HUD minimap?

judging from tile viewer in RAM it looks like I could resize it to a 4*4 square. I'm not too worried about having a minimap with an off-center as long as there's more room in minimap to look around.

also, from that photo, is there a way I can have that helmet graphic resting over my energy like in earlier ZM?

biospark

Quote from: FelixWright on February 03, 2017, 11:17:15 AM
Is there a way I can increase the size of HUD minimap?

You'd need to find the code that draws the minimap to VRAM, as well as the code that draws the minimap from VRAM to the screen.

Quote from: FelixWright on February 03, 2017, 11:17:15 AM
also, from that photo, is there a way I can have that helmet graphic resting over my energy like in earlier ZM?

You'd have to find the code that draws the HUD and add code to draw the helmet. You'd also have to modify the part that draws the health to draw it lower.

Merci

I'm currently trying to relocate Samus's ship to somewhere out of Crateria.

Just noticed that there is a door 5 blocks above the ship's sprite. What importance does that serve?

Cpt.Glitch

I believe that door has to do with the landing cutscene. As for relocating the ship, just change the spriteset in the room you'd like to move it to the same one the ship room uses, then you can place the ship that way.

P.JBoy

Is there a door block above the ship's sprite?

EDIT: never mind, I thought this was Super Metroid >_>

biospark

The door is used to determine where to place Samus in the room when the landing cutscene starts. The cutscene works by placing Samus behind the ship and slowly moving her down.

Merci

I'm having trouble adding additional non-standard elevators.

Right now I have an elevator going down from Chozodia to Kraid, but it doesn't work.

I've defined an area connection and replicated the setup from a down elevator from Crateria, but it doesn't work. Kraid going up does though.

Have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

Blade

I used interdpths research to disable the Intro cutscene in MZM. (0x56092, 0x56093, 0x56094, 0x56095 = 00)
But the HUD never gets loaded until one safes and reloades the game.
Is there a way to fix this or does this one need more research?

Also would it be possible to remove the cutscene where samus ship lands on zebes, only showing the text.
Or even remove all, so that Samus starts instantly ingame?

Cpt.Glitch

You'll need to have the hud flag (030004A in ram) set to 0. As for moving the landing sequence, if you change the starting room, the cutscene is skipped automatically.

lizardtroid

Hello. I am new here and am somewhat new to ROM hacking.  does anyone know what the color pallet offset is for the word 'metroid' on the title screen?

Cpt.Glitch

This doc has the palette as well as graphical locations for various other places in the game. It also contains tile tables for some things as well, including the title screen. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1e0yHFetyrBDNnBC6pikRvIAAzamLC9UGFj97t5vUGwA/htmlview

trippy87

So I've looked basically everywhere I can think of and can't find a way to add *more* sprites to MZM.

It obviously ends at sprite CD:

I was just wondering if there's a way to add more sprites past CD (that are basically copies of other sprites with more health/damage/resistance and different palettes/drops.

biospark

Quote from: trippy87 on August 28, 2017, 11:22:27 AM
I was just wondering if there's a way to add more sprites past CD (that are basically copies of other sprites with more health/damage/resistance and different palettes/drops.

Currently there's no way to do it in MAGE. I'll probably add it eventually, but it will only let you add a copy of an existing sprite. This means you'll be able to edit the graphics and stats, but not the behavior (unless you know asm).

Merci

Do the ceiling slopes serve any purpose at all? They don't seem to have any collision.

passarbye

Quote from: Merci on September 03, 2017, 03:08:22 PM
Do the ceiling slopes serve any purpose at all? They don't seem to have any collision.
Pretty sure they don't, I've never used them or seen them used.

Cpt.Glitch

Quote from: Merci on September 03, 2017, 03:08:22 PM
As Passar said, they don't work for either game. They function the same as air tiles.

spiffy

I'm having a little trouble locating the graphics for the Morph Ball. As per Cpt.Glitch's suggestion for his Better Morph Roll patch (http://www.metroidconstruction.com/resource.php?id=96), all I really want to do is to remove/lessen the 'glow' effect to make it look more natural.

FelixWright

Quote from: spiffy on September 24, 2017, 01:28:18 PM
I'm having a little trouble locating the graphics for the Morph Ball. As per Cpt.Glitch's suggestion for his Better Morph Roll patch (http://www.metroidconstruction.com/resource.php?id=96), all I really want to do is to remove/lessen the 'glow' effect to make it look more natural.

Samus' graphics in ROM are uncompressed and really really messy. More editors in MAGE are on the way so I highly recommend waiting until said editors are released before attempting to adjust samus' graphics.

Cpt.Glitch

Quote from: Cosmic on September 25, 2017, 12:31:22 PM
Quote from: spiffy on September 24, 2017, 01:28:18 PM

Samus' graphics in ROM are uncompressed and really really messy. More editors in MAGE are on the way so I highly recommend waiting until said editors are released before attempting to adjust samus' graphics.

That being said, I'll likely fix the GFX myself and have that be along side the Morph Roll patch anyway. If you end up beating me to it, I can include yours if you'd like.

spiffy

Have located the morph ball graphics (for the Power Suit at least) at 25027C or thereabouts. Now it's just going to be a bitch re-colouring all the pieces manually.

Wish me luck.

MetroidRuins

Is there a way to remove the landing and flying away cut scenes for Samus Ship