News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Any other Hacking communities?

Started by maxipower, September 28, 2016, 05:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxipower

Do you guys delve into any other Rom hacking? I'm on a Golden Sun hacking forum. No progress since the editor project died a few years ago but holding onto hope of another project entitled OpenGoldenSun

But I was just wondering. I've never came across a community as big as the Metroid modding community. Any other exciting projects outside metroid?

personitis

Outside of Super Metroid, I looked at Castlevania 4 really quick to help teach someone debugging. I've also dipped my toes into Harvest Moon (both SNES and GBA) but nothing major. As for other communities, we've got a small mention of Zelda 3 here, but as far as that, I myself am not part of any other specific rom hacking community.

Dark-SA-X

Quote from: maxipower on September 28, 2016, 05:00:15 PM
But I was just wondering. I've never came across a community as big as the Metroid modding community. Any other exciting projects outside metroid?

Honestly the zelda hacking community would be the next big hacking group behind metroiddestruction.com.  :>:
http://www.zeldix.net/
All in all RHDN, zophar, Jul, and partially board 2 does all type of rom hacking, it'll vary on what you want to do in particular.

snarfblam

A Dummy

squishy_ichigo

I've played a few rom hacks of various other games, but the only other one I've actually tried anything with is GBA Pokemans. I've had a few ideas that I wouldn't mind maybe doing one day with that. I'm disappointed that pretty much every pokemon hack is the same shit that nintendo gives us, wheres the originality at.... do people really like that shitty formula that much? (Eight Gyms, OHNOITSTEAM[redacted]!, etc)

I imported FF6 graphics into GBA pokemons, and built a pretty cool room, but something messed up and I stopped working on it after that. I don't seem to have a picture of that room anymore, saddly, but I do have this:

[spoiler=map that I made at some point]
[/spoiler]

It was two kingdoms that were at war with one another, (this being two different in game maps, put together) You would have started in the single city in the lower center of the map, and it was gonna have a branching storyline that changed based on various in game choices that you made, one of being choosing a kingdom that you ended up supporting.

passarbye

Quote from: squishy_ichigo on September 29, 2016, 05:29:34 PM
[spoiler=map that I made at some point]
[/spoiler]

It was two kingdoms that were at war with one another, (this being two different in game maps, put together) You would have started in the single city in the lower center of the map, and it was gonna have a branching storyline that changed based on various in game choices that you made, one of being choosing a kingdom that you ended up supporting.
That map is awesome, and so is your idea for the two kingdoms. I tried hacking FireRed but it never went anywhere because at the time it was hard as fuck finding all the tools you needed and AdvanceMap sucked. (i think they switched editors recently, idk)
Maybe if it were a bit easier to figure shit out I might have a go again, but not until certain things change. They had like zero tutorials, so that didn't really help either at the time.

biospark

Quote from: passarbye on September 30, 2016, 11:30:16 AM
I tried hacking FireRed but it never went anywhere because at the time it was hard as fuck finding all the tools you needed and AdvanceMap sucked. (i think they switched editors recently, idk)

I guess there's no smile/editroid/mage of GBA Pokemon hacking? Seems odd for such a popular game to hack.

passarbye

Quote from: biospark on September 30, 2016, 03:26:42 PM
I guess there's no smile/editroid/mage of GBA Pokemon hacking? Seems odd for such a popular game to hack.
I haven't looked lately, there might be something better out. A lot of pokemon hacking was done with many different tools, but AdvanceMap was the main editor that got shit done. Pokemon hacking also requires that you learn scripting (for npc interactions and such), and I just couldn't get into it very well. At least Metroid is a bit simpler imo.

squishy_ichigo

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 30 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

THIS /IS/ IMPORTANT FORUM LEAVE ME ALONE!

I found that image I was talking about, it was right here, in my dropbox, where it should have been! Not img tagging because the image is large, so just open it in a seperate tab.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9331202/interesting3.png

Only room I got to make before the rom messed up, but it's pgud I think. This would have been the starting room of the game, you'd start at the dot of light in the right of the room, and traverse a few other rooms to eventually leave the cave at the left.