News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

[SM] Retroid

Started by ProjectXIX, September 08, 2016, 08:14:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark-SA-X

Quote from: Derakon on September 19, 2016, 11:05:46 AM
Retroid's controls are fine; y'all're just confused by change. :lol:

Nope as it still stands it still fails on controls I have to agree with mst and the others who think the same way.
I may just go ahead and reverse the controls back to the way I wanted and implement somethings that needed to be there.

It is though a good hack for nostologia old skool gaming but needs more work.

Quietus

Quote from: Dark-SA-X on September 20, 2016, 06:33:58 AMsomethings that needed to be there.
There are no things that 'needed to be there'. The hack is another person's vision, and there is no right or wrong. You may not like some of, but it's not wrong. If enough people don't like it, then it may well get changed, but it's still not wrong - merely unpopular.

I'm also not too keen on you stating how you're going to change those things. If you want to change something, then go ahead, but it feels like you mentioning it in the hack's thread is a bit of a slap to the face of the creator. :neutral:

Dark-SA-X

I could careless about how you feel right about now.
What I do to his hack on my hdd is none of you're business.
Besides that it will be a personal copy for me to enjoy it more the way I wanted it.

Jordan5

I know some people like to alter hacks to suit their controls or whatever, that is fine, I don't think people really mind that.

Quote from: Dark-SA-X on September 20, 2016, 09:42:20 AM
What I do to his hack on my hdd is none of you're business.

But this: you said you were going to make changes in a public forum and now the fact you're going to make changes is a private thing? If you don't want people to comment on something you're going to do, don't tell them you're going to do it, especially if it's changes to a hack you will never make public.

Quietus

Quote from: Dark-SA-X on September 20, 2016, 09:42:20 AMI could careless about how you feel right about now.
Then why don't you?
Quote from: Dark-SA-X on September 20, 2016, 09:42:20 AMWhat I do to his hack on my hdd is none of you're business.
Besides that it will be a personal copy for me to enjoy it more the way I wanted it.
Exactly what I suggested - keep it to yourself. That way, you won't run the risk of coming across as disrespectful to the hack's creator.

Lunaria

If you have a problem with DSAX's behaviour please consider filling a report to moderation rather than jumping in to bark back. This back and forth is clearly not adding anything to the discussion of the hack so please drop the matter or take it to PM, thanks.

Quietus

Roger that. My apologies. :neutral:

Steel Sparkle

@Miranda Gemini
Wait Gravity suit is in this hack? what else did i miss.

Wrulfang

Finished in 1:53
34% of items
7 energy tanks, 95 missles, "charge", ice, wave, varia, morph, bombs, screw, hi-jump

what did I miss?

jamablues

Thank you so much for making this hack! I love it. completed 1:34 @ 35%
I do wish you could have left in the ability for running faster. I understand why you took out the mid-air morph would have made it easy to get into all the areas. oh yea.. I think someone had said it..but you don't have to beat mother brain to win..she just pushes you out the door if your too close to her haha
Again thank you!! Please do more hacks.. there are some people like me that play these every day! love it! :^_^: :^_^: :^_^: :^_^: :^_^:

jamablues

Quote from: Wrulfang on October 08, 2016, 10:13:23 AM
Finished in 1:53
34% of items
7 energy tanks, 95 missles, "charge", ice, wave, varia, morph, bombs, screw, hi-jump

what did I miss?

i had 100 missiles... one was tough to find.. i just happen to see it when i shot through the wall accidentally.. not sure if there is any thing else besides that you missed?

jamablues

I was also wondering what these little holes the map were.. like to indicate there was something there.. i saw them a few times..but didn't know if they ment anything? thanks!

RetroRGB

I just started playing through this hack (just got to Ridley) and so far I love it!  Does anyone know how to get in touch with the creator?  I PM'd, but haven't heard back.

Ice Man

Hope bumping is fine. Anyway, why hasn't the intro been fixed yet? It is glitched and kinda annoying imo.

Pictures: http://share.pho.to/Ag2dy

It looks like the "1" and "19" from the 1994 are the cause but I'm not sure.

Ice Man

Actually nevermind. I fixed it myself after seeing how the title exceeded the stripe image data and overwrote the tiles for 1 and 19. I moved the title to another location and repointed it.

Here's the fix for anyone who cares.
To be applied to a clean Super Metroid ROM without a header.

metalmight

Quote from: ProjectXIX on September 08, 2016, 08:14:25 PM

It's Retroid. Play NEStroid without shitty physics and controls and whatnot.

Credits:
DSO: helped with/straight up did most of the ASM, cool guy
RealRed: bitchin' elevators and title screen tileset
Grime: stars in title screen tileset
Quote: all the neat HUD shit
Scyzer: everything to do with Mother Brain's jar
ProjectXVIII: pretty much everything else (I'm totally not him shhhhhhhhhhhhhh)
zephyrtronium: :yum:

Download
I tried this download and I get a 404 file not found error.

KyleRXZero

I finished a play through of this. It had some issues and there were definitely some design choices I wouldn't have made. But I enjoyed it overall.

Blealolealoleal

Just spent 5 minutes trying to patch this over NEStroid, then I realized it was SM.

advancedpillow

I finally am making my way through the backlog of hacks I have to play. Finished this one tonight. 1:38, 33% of the items. Not that these stats matter too much.
Because this is a near top-tier hack, in my opinion. Great job!

What struck me the strongest, was how the game matches the difficulty of the original. I grew up playing Metroid. And it kind of scared me, the danger, back then. "What the hell is that twirling ball thing?! Oh I'm dead. What the hell is that! Oh god it's killing me! I'm in the lava! Dead!" It was really difficult, especially entering Norfair, in the original. And, this remake is no different. Which I think is a good thing. But the best part, as you perservere and collect the items, you no longer are weak and can destroy that which terrorized you, er me, in my childhood. Ha! It's not as difficult as the original or obtuse. So well done there.

I loved the new bosses. They were a great surprise.

The ending, while matching the original, seems so out-of-the-blue, doesnt it?

I wish Kraid's area had his music. I know there is a remix out there. I dont quite care for the NES Metroid music, but the Kraid track is awesome.

I love the physics changes and all the graphical edits. The attention to detail is high and I appreciate that always. However, I would have liked to have seen more attention given to the menus and the map, as it doesnt save your map progress, at least in Brinstar.

Speaking of saves, auto saves. Brilliant!

Fantastic hack that honors the original, which for me, is nigh unplayable. My tastes deem it has aged poorly. So this was a great way to reexperience it, terrorizing early difficulty and all.

rosmith94

Any idea why this wouldn't be working on the New 3DS native SNES virtual console? As soon as I get the bomb, upon first use the game crashes.

H A M

there's fog in retroid's brinstar while nestroid's brinstar doesn't have fog

FelixWright

Quote from: H A M on July 15, 2022, 10:14:47 PM
there's fog in retroid's brinstar while nestroid's brinstar doesn't have fog

This can be said of pretty much the whole hack not just the fog. There are charge beam blocks in brinstar, a minimap, an in game timer, save stations... Kind of weird to point that out like that crosses some arbitrary line [spoiler]HAM moment[/spoiler]

sa1916

This was thoroughly enjoyable!
I've tried NEStroid so many times and it's just the one entry I simply can't get into no matter how many times I try...
HOWEVER, I just can't find everything... I nearly had it all and my emulator crashed and I lost everything!
Is there a map anywhere online for this? The map is JUST different enough to improve it but it means I can't use the NEStroid maps out there.

sa1916

Quote from: sa1916 on August 30, 2022, 07:53:45 AM
This was thoroughly enjoyable!
I've tried NEStroid so many times and it's just the one entry I simply can't get into no matter how many times I try...
HOWEVER, I just can't find everything... I nearly had it all and my emulator crashed and I lost everything!
Is there a map anywhere online for this? The map is JUST different enough to improve it but it means I can't use the NEStroid maps out there.

What a goose I am...
https://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php/topic,5391.msg69302.html#msg69302

H A M

i will improve retroid using banklogs