News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

OH NOES! WTF IS UP WITH MY PROFILE PICS?

Started by Phazar, January 21, 2010, 05:55:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phazar

Apparently when I change between my profile pics now, they sometimes don't appear on here, but the old one stays instead.  This used to work, so why isn't it now?

Zhs2

What are you doing? Uploading or linking offsite?

Phazar

I tried uploading, and it didn't work.  I tried linking to the Photobucket copies, and that didn't work either.  There is obviously something very wrong....

zephyrtronium

Did you remember to click Change Profile at the bottom?

Phazar

Well, duh?  I've been hitting that the whole time, but still nothing.

Zhs2

Can you give the exact steps needed to reproduce the error?

Zhs2

Bump. Have you at least attempted to clear your cache before you posted this thread? It solves most avatar related problems in no time flat.

squishy_ichigo

Might this have something to do with my when I try and change my avatar to my cutandpastescript it doesn't work?

And why I have to have Zeke do it anytime I want to change my profile, as whenever I save my profile, it does the exact same thing. >_<

Phazar

Eh, it still fails, apparently when I change the pic and hit "Change Profile", it doesn't change my profile.

Zhs2

Quote from: Zhs2 on January 21, 2010, 09:12:42 PM

None of the rest of us are getting this, so not knowing how this is happening will make it take longer to fix...

squishy_ichigo

Quote from: Zhs2 on January 21, 2010, 09:12:42 PM
sure

1. Click the 'Profile' tab on the navigation bar
2. Click the 'Forum Profile Information' link on the right side of the screen
3. next to the bar that says 'I will upload my own picture:' click browse, and choose a picture
3b. alternatively, in the bar next to 'I have my own pic:' insert a url that contains the image you wish to use
4. at the bottom of the page click 'change profile'

I believe these are correct steps in reproducing this problem.

Seriously... what kind of question is that anyways... how many ways is there to set an avatar?

Now, why is it only doing it for some people and not others? THATS a damn good question... Perhaps its the browsers fault? Perhaps the cache like you suggested before?  Perhaps something else entirely.

I only have problems with 3b version, and not 3.  I've had to ask you a few times now to do it for me since it wasn't working.  I agree there is NOTHING that can be done about this without more information though.  I wish I could be of more help.  It only seems to be effecting certain people.

Zhs2

Quote from: squishy_ichigoI've had to ask you a few times now to do it for me since it wasn't working.
This is because I know why your avatar thing broke. It's because I'm a stubborn old pig and I don't want to turn off the option that causes the server to take your avatar and save it server-side for future use for good. I can't even begin to explain Phazar's dilemma.

Also, a question I didn't ask either: You're using IE8, right Phazar? Or have you switched to Firefox or Opera or Chrome and told none of us? If IE, then what engine do you run under by default? In the case of IE I can't really test this myself because I refuse to ever install IE8 on a computer I come in contact with.

Phazar

*Bump*

Yes, I am still using IE8, and I really don't care enough to change it, even though Firefox would most likely be a wiser choice.  But apparently I got my avatar back now, it seems like links work for avatars now.  Still no luck for uploaders, though.