News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Words from a lurker

Started by benyabkn, July 29, 2016, 11:31:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benyabkn

Not many of you know me, not many of you should, but I've been here from a long time and I've posted no more than 10 messages on this forum, yet, I've been sticking to this all this time, just to see how the few of the really active users still interact and find a surprising way to make the site alive.

I don't hack often, heck, I haven't even done a full hack, I have just played around with some stuff and the only thing that I really do is watching speedruns or playthroughs of some hacks for enjoyment. I always wanted to do a full hack but never seem to have the time to do so :(  .

Enough introduction, I think this forum is great, it's not active as hell, it's not popular, but it keeps being warm and so the people who actively post their hacks, ideas or feedback. I find amazing how the threads really stand up to time and the progress you guys have done over the years, because a lot of you are really passionate about the same thing and that reflects in your work and the inspiration you give to other people. But I think this site is full of people who have done hacks yet they haven't posted them here, or there is people interested in doing so but don't know about this site, it's amazing how the creativity calls and finds the way to gather people alike and then make great afinity.

So, what I sincerely have to say is that I hope you guys keep this, is great and it's rare to see these kinds of communities with this level of coolness.

Finally, I wonder how many more lurkers are around this site :9 .

Quietus

I've been known to lurk from time to time. :wink:

Jiffy

When I released Arrival, I actually went into hiding so ShyGuy wouldn't give me a beating for making a good hack. =)

zephyrtronium

A Dummy

I've been mostly lurking here myself, giving the occasional peep from time to time and giving feedback on hacks when I feel I have something to say.
Probably won't end up making any hacks myself, I have a few ideas (Some of them probably impossible.) but the main issue is I lack level designing practice. (Tinkered a little with Mario Maker, but I really have to rack my brain to get anything out.)

Grimlock

Quote from: A Dummy on July 30, 2016, 05:42:11 PM

but the main issue is I lack level designing practice. (Tinkered a little with Mario Maker, but I really have to rack my brain to get anything out.)

Think of level design as a language where you're describing an environment.  Think of an environment you want to create, then think of what that environment would feel like.  Describe that feeling in your designs.  You can also drawn out basic sketches of obstacles and interesting features your level design may be able to use, not for any specific place or location while you think of them.  Then try to work them in as you go.  Never consider anything complete the first time you finish something, consider it a draft and then move on.  Later (after completing the rest of the over all area) revisit what you have created and polish it into the final product.  You may end up revisit certain areas multiple times before it's considered final.

Zero One

Quote from: Quietus on July 30, 2016, 02:42:31 PM
I've been known to lurk from time to time. :wink:

Says the guy with the most posts on the forum, you bloody spammer :P

Quietus

Quote from: Zero One on July 31, 2016, 12:04:05 PM
Says the guy with the most posts on the forum, you bloody spammer :P
I refuse to be spoken to like that, so I've reported your post to the admin team. :nod:

DSO

We've had a number of times where a lurker just comes out of nowhere and releases a hack, it's great.

@Quietus  you can fight the law, but the Zero One

Quietus

I've never been one to condone drug use, but if Slo-Mo was really a thing, I'd totally be puffing as often as the biggest smackheads out there.

thedopefish

I lurked for years before bothering to register an account, then lurked for another couple years before I bothered to engage on the forums.  And then I offered some technical help with the website and suddenly I'm a staff member.  TLDR lurking is good.

MetroidMst

Lunaria

I mostly lurk myself these days. :p

Dark-SA-X

Quote from: Lunaria on August 01, 2016, 05:45:27 PM
I mostly lurk myself these days. :p

"Dark-SA-X places the large bag over lunatic, opens the back door and gently scoots the lunatic out".  :twisted:

Quietus

Forum tip: You can use
/me
to put descriptive text about yourself, such as...

* Quietus instructs Dark-SA-X. :^_^: