News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Reporting Not Working

Started by Quietus, July 21, 2016, 05:39:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quietus

I'm not sure if it's related to the new changeover, but I'm unable to report posts to a moderator. The forum seems to be up and running fine, but when trying to submit the report, it just hangs, then gives me a big database error. It could just be that it's busy (which it says), but seems weird.

I was reporting this and this.

Lunaria

It seems it's having issues accessing the database, hurm. It's not as if any features on the new site are "new" though, it's been running fine for at least half a year. And reporting worked fine not to long ago.

We'll look into it I guess. And by "we" I mean someone who is more competent with databases than I am.

Vismund Cygnus

The reporting works fine, I got all 4 that you sent Quietus!  :heheh:
For the time being, assume that the reports are going through despite the error message. I believe that this problem has arisen before, I'm not sure what was done to fix it.

Lunaria

It's still producing an error page though, which is generally not good.

Quietus

Quote from: Vismund Cygnus on July 21, 2016, 06:12:54 AMThe reporting works fine, I got all 4 that you sent Quietus!  :heheh:
Ah, Ok. I'll ease off on my 'it will work, damn it' stubbornness. :^_^:

Zero One

Yeah, I suddenly have 8 reports :P It's definitely working.

squishy_ichigo

[spoiler=So are we ever gonna actually fix this, or what?][/spoiler]

Zero One

Definitely look into it, but the problem is that it's an intermittent bug. If we could reliably reproduce it, it'd be easier to narrow down, but as it stands, it's not going to be a simple fix.

It's also possible that it's just unfixable. If the server is under too much load, then we can't really fix that, unless people want to chip in for a larger server.

EDIT: Next time it happens, drop a timestamp in here, and I'll see if I can correlate it with server load.

EDIT 2: I should also reiterate that, even if you receive this message, your report DID go through, and that you needn't resubmit the report. We got it.

Lunaria

I believe this happens for me every time I report something.

Edit: See edit timestamp for when it happens. ( 0:35 / 29 September in GMT +1)

squishy_ichigo

Its happened every time I've used the report feature, which I've only started using since I stepped down, but was under the impression it happened EVERY time a report tries to go through, ie. very reproducible.

[spoiler=edit: also this from the other day]
[18:17:16] <snarfoo> blind guess: problem with a plugin
[18:17:44] <thedopefish> I could probably fix it, but I don't know that I care enough to try
[18:17:46] <snarfoo> something is trying to edit the html header after it's already been cosntructed
[18:18:07] <snarfoo> isn't MoN the forum "technical" admin?"
[18:18:10] <snarfoo> *mon
[18:18:13] <thedopefish> more likely, something is sending output to the browser before all the behind-the-scenes processing is done
[18:18:21] <Jiffy> Mon and 01, iirc.
[18:18:23] <thedopefish> and then when it tries to set the headers, it's too late so php vomits[/spoiler]

Dark-SA-X

Upon trying to submit a report I received a mysql error saying the server could not be reached.
Happen in the past before.

Lunaria

There's already a thread on this matter: Link

We are aware of the matter and looking into it.