News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid - OHKO

Started by Leodox, June 28, 2016, 11:32:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leodox

So this hack idea was inspired by the ALTTP OHKO (One Hit Knock Out) Challenge and I figured it would be "fun" to introduce this into Super Metroid. Credit to Total who helped me with the hack.  :cool:

UPDATE: Added PlayDeath-SkipDeath IPS Patches to the rom. (Since you are expected to die alot, might as well make it somewhat easier to restart.)

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x1qhidl14e30y9b/Super%20Metroid%20OHKO.IPS?dl=0

PonchGaming

Quote from: Quietus on June 28, 2016, 11:48:06 AM
Linky-dink. :^_^:

There are some differences. For one, the old one has it set to maximum damage, this one has your health set to one. Also, the old one has spikes in the beginning and no screw attack.

Leodox

Oh I had no idea there was one similar to this one. Basically this one is the straight forward vanilla game, no color changes or anything. Health is set to one, no added spikes. E tanks are obtainable but only heal Samus to full health (basically does nothing, only didnt remove incase someone was so inclined as to do 100%). Also removed reserve tanks and replaced them with E tank. Screw attack was replaced with an E tank as well. You will have 1 HP from start to finish. If there is some rule against hacks being similar, I understand.

FPzero

There is no rule, don't worry about having a similar hack to someone else. This sounds much more palatable of a challenge compared to the old one considering adding spikes to the beginning is always the worst form of artificial difficulty.

Having not played it myself because this isn't the type of hack I'm likely to play, did you remove the low HP sound? I would imagine it would get annoying real fast having that sound go off for the whole game.

Leodox

Yes the low health alarm was removed. Item drops from enemies changed to normal so the low health routine does not effect drops.
That was one of the first things I changed, that can be rather annoying.  :^_^:

Quietus

That's only available in the OHKO - Rage Mode. :^_^:

Steel Sparkle

The premise of this hack reminds me of Hell and Hell mode from Devil May Cry series. I might try this if im feeling like challenging myself. Interesting none the less.

Leodox

I did my playthrough of it already, it's definitely a fun challenge!  :colonrightv:

Lexomatico

Hi,
i have a small problem with the hack. It patches just fine and i have 1HP and everything but when i start the game i still have to play through ceres and i get the full Save/Die/Reload Animations even though i saw in other streams that they should be removed aswell.

I tried it on RetroArch with Bsnes-Mercury-Accuracy core and on Bizhawk

Any Ideas what could be the problem?

Leodox

Quote from: Lexomatico on September 04, 2016, 06:25:26 AM
Hi,
i have a small problem with the hack. It patches just fine and i have 1HP and everything but when i start the game i still have to play through ceres and i get the full Save/Die/Reload Animations even though i saw in other streams that they should be removed aswell.

I tried it on RetroArch with Bsnes-Mercury-Accuracy core and on Bizhawk

Any Ideas what could be the problem?

Updated, thank you.

zaphod77

So has shinespark damage been removed? Or can you just not shinespark at all?

Leodox

Quote from: zaphod77 on September 12, 2016, 07:14:41 PM
So has shinespark damage been removed? Or can you just not shinespark at all?

Shinespark damage is removed.