News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Stepping Down - A Message to the Community

Started by squishy_ichigo, June 27, 2016, 05:49:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squishy_ichigo

Honestly, after leaving for almost a year without a word, I was surprised to come back and still have my mod status.....

I just want to take this moment to officially say I no longer have any desire to be a moderator for this forum. I just don't think I'm cut out for such things, never really have been. I don't particularly like telling people that they are doing things wrong, and when I do I come off as dickish (pardon my language) which isn't good. Take that, and my lack of being around. In the last 3-4 years, I was gone nearly 80% of that time. Not a trait a moderator should have.

I've felt this way for awhile, and asked Zhs2 to take my status away a few times previously, but he never did. Last year, when James came around with his talk of big things happening on Metconst, I got re-inspired, and offered my services, even though they wouldn't be much. And then, well, I was disappointed in the lack of things happening. Its been about a year since then, and we STILL don't have a bunch of the things we talked about then. The site never got switched out of 'beta', no speedconst leaderboards, I didn't check the wiki, maybe you guys did that, but I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't.

Look, I'm not trying to be a dick. I get it, you guys are busy, and don't have the time to do these things. That's ok.  I don't know if I'm done for good with hacking or not. Who knows, not this guy. I'm 75% done with a full hack, but just can't be assed to finish it, I just don't have the desire to anymore. I might release what I did at some point, just to let people play it. Either way, I don't plan on being particularly active in this community anymore, if the last few years weren't indication enough.

Thanks for being cool guys, I might hang out in irc a bit, helping occasionally even.
-squishy_ichigo

Dark-SA-X

Quote from: squishy_ichigo on June 27, 2016, 05:49:50 PM
Honestly, after leaving for almost a year without a word, I was surprised to come back and still have my mod status.....

I just want to take this moment to officially say no longer have any desire to be a moderator for this forum.
I've felt this way for awhile, and asked Zhs2 to take my status away a few times previously, but he never did. Last year, when James came around with his talk of big things happening on Metconst, I got re-inspired, and offered my services, even though they wouldn't be much. And then, well, I was disappointed in the lack of things happening. Its been about a year since then, and we STILL don't have a bunch of the things we talked about then. The site never got switched out of 'beta', no speedconst leaderboards, I didn't check the wiki, maybe you guys did that, but I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't.

Well before you are quick to terminate your powers to someone else in the near future, if zero one actually made an effort to make things happen now for the forum.
Would you stick to your word and help out or just leave, I don't know you that well enough but you have some good common  sense to moderate.
I can't say that for the rest who are still in power currently, keep your global mod power as it is something to be treasured if not abused stupidly.

thedopefish

Farewell squishy.  I hope you'll still hang around from time to time, even if you're no longer a moderator.

squishy_ichigo

Ok, so Dopey told me on irc that the sparkconst leaderboards are indeed a thing, my bad, carryon.........................

As for your comment dark sa-x, believe me, this is something I gave quite a bit of thought.

edit: and now it's official, gg no re, seeya on the flipside.

DSO

Sometimes you have to be a jerk when carrying out your duty, and Squishy just doesn't want to be a jerk. I respect your decision, but I hope you'll still be around to try out some of the new hacks that come out from time to time.

Grimlock

Sorry to see you go squishy, I always had a positive perception of you and your performance as a moderator.  Best of luck with your future endeavors!  As far as your project goes I would just put it on ice for now, you may find the interest to revisit it in the future after an extended break.

Kazuto

As somebody who's stepped away from hacking for an extended period, I'll just say that you'll eventually get an inkling to return to it.  ;)

I remember you from both my current and former usernames, so it's slightly sad to see you go.  But I know you'll pop back in now and again just to see what the community has gotten into.  For now, I hope you enjoy whatever the future holds!

Quietus

So long, Squishy. It's been fun! I hope you enjoy whatever you move on to. :^_^:

Zhs2

I'm not sure if I even remember having heard quiet, half-formed whisperings of "I dun wanna be a mod". So far as I remember, DMantra was the only guy who requested that of me clearly and personally. (He was a Super Metroid board mod a long time ago.) In any case, if you really did ask me this, then I'm sorry. (It probably got washed away in a flood of regular IRC messages.)