News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Metroid Advance Game Editor (MAGE) Thread

Started by biospark, June 21, 2016, 06:19:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biospark

Quote from: NathanTech on April 15, 2017, 07:27:19 PM
When fixing the lava animation in the tile table editor i cant get it back to the correct pallet. None of the other pallets match

If the image you imported had lava in it, then the colors should definitely be there. They just might be in a different order. If your tileset's palette has at least one blank row, I would just copy the normal lava palette there in order to fix it.

NathanTech

thanks for the advice -  I checked the pallete and compared it to an unedited version of the tileset - after the import the new pallete was completely scrambled - so I'm taking the time to redo the pallete.

Edit - Redoing the pallete was well... ONE HELL OF A HORRIBLE MISTAKE - so i've taken to what you said and am using one of the 4 blank rows I have to use - works MUCH BETTER.

biospark

Just a disclaimer for anyone importing a tileset image: new graphics and colors are added as they're encountered in the image. If you're importing a modified version of an existing tileset, the colors will most likely be in a different order.

If you want to preserve the order, you'll have to edit the graphics and palette separately, then use the tile table editor.

Samus Arn

Hello Biosp4rk, i have a question : When i right click and add a sprite, i can't change the sprite ( for example i spawn a Sa-x and i want it to be a metroid) It didnt works even if i click "edit sprite''

Miepee

You should read the MAGE documentary, it is explained there under the section 'Sprites' as well as 'Spriteset Editor'
Still I'm explaining that here: Make sure that your sprite is in the spriteset the room uses. If not, add your sprite there via the spriteset editor. If yes, right-click your sprite (make sure you're in the object editing mode), press on 'edit sprite' and then change the slot number.

Samus Arn

I didn't understood ? can you make a video ? ^^
Thanks for all :3

FelixWright

Quote from: Samus Arn on April 17, 2017, 12:28:50 PM
I didn't understood ? can you make a video ? ^^
Thanks for all :3

in the mage folder you downloaded there should be two .HTML files. try reading those.

Samus Arn

I did it, but i stil have textures bugs...  :sad: :sad:

Miepee

Please specify what you did EXACTLY and be sure to read the documentary. Really, most of the problems people have are explained there.

Samus Arn

I did it like it's says in the document but, if i spawn for exemple a sa-x in the quarantain bay,he has the little monster textures

biospark

Quote from: Samus Arn on April 23, 2017, 01:49:28 PM
I did it like it's says in the document but, if i spawn for exemple a sa-x in the quarantain bay,he has the little monster textures

The SA-X is actually special, because it always uses the top two graphics rows. So you should make sure the SA-X is at the top of your spriteset, otherwise the graphics will look messed up in game.

Kazuto

Totally didn't notice it wasn't there until I went looking for it, but: biospark, can we get a list of the keyboard shortcuts in MAGE? Much appreciated!

biospark

Quote from: Kazuto on April 25, 2017, 10:03:20 PM
Totally didn't notice it wasn't there until I went looking for it, but: biospark, can we get a list of the keyboard shortcuts in MAGE? Much appreciated!

T - test a room and place Samus where the cursor is located
G - loads the room a door is connected to
[ and ] - while over a sprite, changes between sprites in the spriteset
W, S, A, D - while over a door, resizes it
Middle click - toggles editing modes

Kazuto

Quote from: biospark on April 26, 2017, 01:06:24 AM
Quote from: Kazuto on April 25, 2017, 10:03:20 PM

T - test a room and place Samus where the cursor is located
G - loads the room a door is connected to
[ and ] - while over a sprite, changes between sprites in the spriteset
W, S, A, D - while over a door, resizes it
Middle click - toggles editing modes

Ahh, Middle click! Didn't try that one! Toggling editing modes was one I was interested in, in particular. ;)

FYI, the shortcuts to toggle editing layers act like a regular Alt press if you try to use them in a room that doesn't have that layer available to edit, rather than just doing nothing. It's little, but I figured it's worth mentioning since I noticed it, haha.

Gunert

Hey biospark, whenever I try to open the connection editor I get this error:

[spoiler]
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at mage.FormConnection.FillAreaConnections()
   at mage.FormConnection.InitializeTab(Int32 tab)
   at mage.FormMain.menuItem_connectionEditor_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.8745 (WinRel.050727-8700)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
mage
    Assembly Version: 0.9.0.0
    Win32 Version: 0.9.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/ethan/Desktop/mage%20(2)/mage.exe
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.8750 (QFE.050727-8700)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
ysjrcwb5
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.8750 (QFE.050727-8700)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

[/spoiler]

any idea whats going on?

biospark

Quote from: Gunert on May 01, 2017, 05:58:13 PM
Hey biospark, whenever I try to open the connection editor I get this error

Are you using the newest version? If not, that might fix it. Otherwise, you'll have to send me an ips patch.

Gunert

I am using the most recent version(at least the one linked in the download). How do I send this isp patch?

biospark

Quote from: Gunert on May 02, 2017, 08:12:36 AM
How do I send this isp patch?

You can attach it to a forum post, if you're ok with posting it publicly. Otherwise, you'll have to upload it somewhere and pm me the link.

Gunert

well it decided to just start working again, so I don't think it'll be necessary unless it starts happening again. If it does I' send the stuff to you.

biospark

Quote from: Gunert on May 03, 2017, 05:15:15 PM
well it decided to just start working again, so I don't think it'll be necessary unless it starts happening again. If it does I' send the stuff to you.

I'm guessing the problem is that you have a door that's not an area connection but is on the list of area connections. I've fixed it for the next version.

Gunert

Is there a way to change pallets and/or tilesets for individual rooms?

biospark

Quote from: Gunert on May 03, 2017, 07:31:17 PM
Is there a way to change pallets and/or tilesets for individual rooms?

You'll have to choose a tileset and assign it only to that room. I believe both games have a few unused tilesets you can use. The next update will let you add tilesets.

Gunert

How do you change tileset assignments then? I cant seem to find the option anywhere.

biospark

Quote from: Gunert on May 03, 2017, 09:36:10 PM
How do you change tileset assignments then? I cant seem to find the option anywhere.

In the Header Editor

Samus Arn

In the next update, can we modifie Samus ?