News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Hi guys I'm new here, trying to figure things out

Started by jewelediris, June 18, 2016, 12:37:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jewelediris

yeah, I dunno, the only room I ever remember seeing that room is too big message was the one in the escape at the end of the game, in which case, if I don't know what something means, I leave it alone, and I did not in fact make any changes to that room.  also, something else I noticed.  in the passage up from red brinstar to craterea, the scroll whatever they are that tells the room to scroll down to go back to that door, just dissapeared.  I don't know how to use scroll things, so I don't mess with them.  in fact, I've never changed anything in that paticular room, so I don't know where they went.  but the first time you come up from brinstar its fine, you go to the right or to the left, and go back in and try to go down... no down scrolling.  no idea how that happened either

Dark-SA-X

Quote from: jewelediris on June 29, 2016, 01:27:10 AM
the only room I ever remember seeing that room is too big message was the one in the escape at the end of the game, in which case, if I don't know what something means, I leave it alone, and I did not in fact make any changes to that room.  also, something else I noticed.  in the passage up from red brinstar to craterea, the scroll whatever they are that tells the room to scroll down to go back to that door, just dissapeared.  I don't know how to use scroll things, so I don't mess with them.  in fact, I've never changed anything in that paticular room, so I don't know where they went.  but the first time you come up from brinstar its fine, you go to the right or to the left, and go back in and try to go down... no down scrolling.  no idea how that happened either

What you may need to do is open up another instance of smile and look at the original rom and compare that to yours.
If anything was removed like the scroll plm's, put them back like the game had it.
There are quite a few hackers better than I am who could explain it better but that might be the right way to get back on track.

@FPzero I was wondering what kept you from releasing your hack, I saw some of your old screenshots and they look real good.
Have you considered setting up a new rom and migrating any current stable palettes, gfx some levels via through jathys trick I mentioned awhile ago ?
It could take a long time to move things back partially and then bring it up to speed again.
I think smile rf could benefit you as it is abit better with improved features, but some of the enemy info and other junk isn't all that accurate.

Kazuto

jewelediris, go into your SMILE->files folder and look at level_entries.txt.  Some ways down the list, do the numbers jump from 24C706 to 220322?  And then from 2270A1 to 24DB52?  If so, this is probably what caused your crashes in rooms you haven't even touched.  The default level_entries.txt in SMILE and SMILE RX are errored in such a way that it allows a handful of rooms to overwrite the headers of other rooms in the game without triggering an alert in SMILE.

The fix for preventing the error is to reorganize the list so that it's in correct sequential order (cut that whole block of 22's and paste it up above between the two entries where it belongs).  But if this is the cause, fixing the issues it's created could be incredibly tedious.

FPzero

Quote from: Dark-SA-X on June 29, 2016, 06:43:58 AM
@FPzero I was wondering what kept you from releasing your hack, I saw some of your old screenshots and they look real good.
Have you considered setting up a new rom and migrating any current stable palettes, gfx some levels via through jathys trick I mentioned awhile ago ?
It could take a long time to move things back partially and then bring it up to speed again.
I think smile rf could benefit you as it is abit better with improved features, but some of the enemy info and other junk isn't all that accurate.
For the record, I'm not talking about my old old project, Volta. This was a newer project. When I was working on it, I had been using a pre-release version of RF, then took a break for a while. A few months ago I discovered that the rooms had broken. This isn't my thread so I don't want to get into my problems with it in here, but if I want to continue with it I'll make posts elsewhere.

jewelediris

ok guys I think I figured out what happened.  the room that was crashing, I looked at it in Smile, I don't know how this happens, but it had 9 PLMs in it that had not been identified, where there were supposed to be 0.  I know I didn't change it, so I don't know how it got like that.  so I think I fixed that

Smiley

You've probably added PLMs to some other rooms with the slider. Don't do that unless you've repointed the PLM pointer to free space.
Another possibility is you expanded some room and then edited the scroll data, which can overwrite other stuff.

Dark-SA-X

Quote from: jewelediris on July 02, 2016, 01:27:36 PM
ok guys I think I figured out what happened.  the room that was crashing, I looked at it in Smile, I don't know how this happens, but it had 9 PLMs in it that had not been identified, where there were supposed to be 0.  I know I didn't change it, so I don't know how it got like that.  so I think I fixed that

Which smile editor are you using to make your hack, never heard of any of the three editors doing that. :/
Also which room was it, I'm only asking to look at it myself later on for details.

jewelediris

I honestly don't know anything about adding PLMs, I thought it would be as simple as increasing the number of PLMs and then assigning it to something, but that didn't work.  in the big open "entrance to the wrecked ship area.  I added 3 PLMs to the room, made them items, most of the time they didn't show up, and the little cave up above in the center to the large open room is the room that crashed.  don't know what that was all about.  also I don't know how to put the scroll PLMs back in that passage before that.  just when I think I'm learning how something works in Smile, I find that theres way more to something and I did it completely wrong so I, in fact don't know how PLMs work at all.  I can't seem to find any actual helpful information anywhere that explains to me how to use them and not screw up a room

FPzero

Yeah, the Add/Remove Enemies/PLMs dialog shouldn't even exist in the editor in its current state. It's completely unexplained but to add more PLMs or enemies you need to use a hex editor to find freespace in a specific bank, then use the Pointers dialog to set a new PLM or enemy pointer. If you increase or decrease the number of either of those without repointing to free space, you run the risk of overwriting stuff in another room because you'll start overwriting other data.

If you haven't done so already, give this a read: http://www.metroidconstruction.com/SMMM/  It's written by Grime, a member here, and is basically a comprehensive tutorial for many many aspects of hacking this game. Additionally, you may wish to check out the Engine Works subforum here on this forum for more questions and answers.

jewelediris

I did read a bunch of those, or rather I tried to.  most of it goes over my head :pwuh: