News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Meroid: Return Of Samus?

Started by sm cory, June 02, 2016, 06:03:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sm cory

I am wanting to start a side project because my other WIP hack is getting frustrating! With all the custom boss fights and gfx, I'm taking a brake and making something a little easer!

Super Metroid: return Of Samus - A Change over from Gameboy to snes! Should this be done? we can custom make or alter the Metroids into maby a collectable item!!! alter mother brain to be as omega Metroid!  the layout and maps should also stay the same but alter if need be!

I have made up my mind, to start ...
[spoiler]

[spoiler/]

Vanya

Nice! I would love to see this come to fruition.

sm cory

already finished landing site and a few other rooms. quickly making rooms to match Metroid 2... I think ill start room design after iv copied the paths through out the game! then enemy edits , then boss edits - because that's still extremely hard for me.

SirAileron

I don't know if you're aware, but you'll have to be mindful of rooms that overlap on the same coordinate. Metroid 2 had some areas that map-wise twisted into themselves when the whole world map was laid out. I know AM2R addresses this a bit by slightly changing the layout of the caverns.

Just for when you encounter that issue, but looking good so far! :^_^:

Dark-SA-X

Quote from: sm cory on June 02, 2016, 06:03:41 PM
I am wanting to start a side project because my other WIP hack is getting frustrating! With all the custom boss fights and gfx, I'm taking a brake and making something a little easer!

Super Metroid: return Of Samus - A Change over from Gameboy to snes! Should this be done? we can custom make or alter the Metroids into maby a collectable item!!! alter mother brain to be as omega Metroid!  the layout and maps should also stay the same but alter if need be!

Based on your screenshot look at the super gameboy color palette and match the dirt and brick palette in super metroid.
Also I have a M2 enemie gfx pack if you want to use a few in this game, I think smile rf is good with gfx/color editing.
If you modifie the metroids, use the zeta form as a replacement, it should fit if I use the original one and work on the palette.

Take your time with it though it would be nice to see it happen over time.

Steel Sparkle

Oh cool. An SM version of M2. That would be fun to see.

sm cory

I definitely need the enemies gfx!!! That will save so much time.  So u guys think I should make almost an exact copy of m2, same palettes colors.

Dark-SA-X

Quote from: sm cory on June 04, 2016, 01:38:11 PM
I definitely need the enemies gfx!!! That will save so much time.  So u guys think I should make almost an exact copy of m2, same palettes colors.

Honestly it is mostly doable the only issue is if you plan on implanting the metroid evolution.
That could prove to be a problem, phantoon could be replaced by the omega metroid.
It does phase in and out so that would be good for it.
Metaquaris showed arachnaus in his hack for a replacement of chozo boss.

Same palette as the original, no thank you, however the am2r is a good reference to look at.
You could ask the author for a palette file for you to tinker with and import into smile 2.5/smile RF.

Here is some starter enemies for the metroid 2, I have 2 more to upload.
http://beta.metroidconstruction.com/resources.php?approval=1
I would have thought by now one of the staff members would have reviewed that and approved or disapprove for fixing.
Everything is in it including the palette, your only deal now is sifiting through the rom and find which enemies you want to replace, if it fits.

Make a backup when you have a stable hack thats not filled with issues, gets rather crazy at times. >_>

sm cory

yea!!! this hack will present some pretty hard issue's. right now I am making quick copy;s of each room and linking them together. not worrying about palette color or level design. First step copying rooms and room placement. then design and color. then maybe implement event changes, then items, enemies, bosses, secret levels, tittle and ending credits!

Dark-SA-X

Becarefull when you do that, especially if your adding in more to the room then it can handle and make you need to repoint stuff.
What I did is used smile 2.5, I open up my old hack with it, pointed to a room that was stable.
I then click file open rom and choose my newer hack, didn't change the room once the rom opened up.
I clicked on save, and loaded another room, I went back to the room I was working with.
Everything looked exactly from what I opened up with my old hack, loaded zsnes to test it with.

Just something like that does prove usefull, I just wish Jam would read this and implement that in his editor and fix some other problems people have mentioned.
If you edit any of the boss rooms, do not use jam editor for that, or it will freeze up or crash the rom when loading the boss data.
If you edit the bosses with jams edito, use jathys editor and go to the bosses room.
As mentioned above use a stable boss room from another hack/backup, click save when done and test it.

I know its a complicated mess but its the only way or one of many ways to keep the rom from being broken completely.

Seeko

I believe you can make doors so that they are not visible. In a SMILE tutorial video, I saw the person make a door where there was no visible door block, but there was a loading zone.

Quietus

Correct, the actual BTS blocks that transition you to the next room can be placed on any tile. Obviously for the most part you want it to be logical, and will most likely use the existing doors, but there's nothing stopping you from placing them on open air tilesto give you a doorless transition. :^_^:

Tarince

Rooms so far = Really good. The palettes are nice and dark. I like that a lot.
So, what exactly do you plan on doing with enemies? Having the swoopy original styled enemies? Or maybe making your own?