News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

The Metroid construction beta site seems dead

Started by Mtgxyz, May 03, 2016, 03:45:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mtgxyz

I'm writing a request to the moderators to the beta site, as they seemingly abandoned it. Also wasn't it supposed to have replaced the main site like a year ago? Also I wanted to say that there are still patches waiting to be moderated, which were submitted in February.

thedopefish

The site has not been abandoned, there have simply not been very many new submissions in the last couple months.  It will replace the old site once we get all of the old content moved over and a certain lazy fish fixes the image resizing feature.

If you're referring to your own resource submission that's sitting in the approval queue, I believe that has not been approved because there are no screenshots and the link to the video does not work.

personitis

I feel like this a really good time to discuss ways to push to beta site toward being the main site.

I seem to recall one of the reasons it hadn't been promoted was due to a lot of resources in the documents section of the old site not being moved over to the wiki. Specifically, there seemed to be uncertainty of obsoleting/deleting old site pages and making the information inaccessible without moving it over to a newer source. What about redirecting to the old site for these documents in some manner while they are not transposed to the beta and moving the beta site to the front end of things (of course, the grey area here is the redirecting part)?

Another thing to think about: is having a Wiki really the best way to display all the information contained in the documents page? It's definitely great for technical information, but to me doesn't seem like the best way to present the multitude of guides that are written and hosted by the main site, outside of the wiki being easy to edit. And then there's the consideration about how much of the user written content can be merged together due to similarities in the subject matter.

To boot, I almost feel like some may think taking content others have written and updating it into the writing of another (in other words, let's say I went and rewrote Grime's SM Mod Manual; terrible example, I know) in attempt to cleanly update it to the wiki may feel it's a bit wrong and "two-faced" (correct word to use here?) in some manner. The way I see it: taking others works and building upon those is how to move forward. Just make sure to give credit where due.

I suppose the real big question here is: What exactly is stopping the main site from being depreciated by the beta site?
Once that's hammered out, I'd hope some of the laziness can be brushed off and work can be started (without efforting after two weeks :>_>:).