News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Room of the Week 2010 - Archives

Started by squishy_ichigo, January 16, 2010, 11:09:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squishy_ichigo

ok Daltone... that pic is completely ridiculous, and I really doubt its what the room actually looks like.  I love it when people prove me wrong though.

I will allow that room in this weeks contest IF you can prove that Metroid is actually in that room. (with a video)  Otherwise, I'm disqualifying it, as the pic was altered.

IMetroRat

Lol my entry rather small but what ever.... :<_<:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

[attachment deleted by admin]

begrimed

DSO

Quote from: squishy_ichigo on June 26, 2010, 12:15:50 AM
ok Daltone... that pic is completely ridiculous, and I really doubt its what the room actually looks like.  I love it when people prove me wrong though.

I will allow that room in this weeks contest IF you can prove that Metroid is actually in that room. (with a video)  Otherwise, I'm disqualifying it, as the pic was altered.
What the heck Squishy, I'm disapointed in you. Of all people you should know how easy and how little tileset space it takes to do something like that. Simply replacing the unused tiles in that tileset would be more than enough space for the 12 squares it takes to build that with.

squishy_ichigo

I most certainly know its possible to do that, but I also know how easy it is to take an image in paint and paste it over another image.

If I see clarification on it, then I don't mind it being in the contest at all.  I feel bad that I have to do something like this, but I think its necessary for a fair contest.

snarfblam

Oh, what now?

Anyways, it's not my best, and there's some serious competition (especially grime's), but what the hell...
[Spoiler]

[/Spoiler]

personitis

Oh dayum. Daltone showed squishy up. xD Anyways, I'll have a room this week.

Smiley

For the sake of doing something, I'm gonna submit my latest room... a wannabe -maze. :eyeroll:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

E: Wow, six entries so far! :whoa: Usually there're only 3 or 4 of them.

Hiroshi Mishima

Oh how in the bloody hell am I supposed to...

You guys aren't making this any easier on me, you know. *shakes fist*

Lunaria

Quote from: Hiroshi Mishima on June 28, 2010, 03:19:38 AM
Oh how in the bloody hell am I supposed to...

You guys aren't making this any easier on me, you know. *shakes fist*
Oh exploitable! :trollface:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

I'm sure most people know the deal about this room already.

Smiley

We got 7 entries. Cool!

Shadox:
A nice, small room. Looks pretty fun to run through. The only thing I dislike is that you didn't use any of the darker Crateria tiles. They would make that room look even better, no doubt about that. :^_^:

Daltone:
Can't really say anything...

IMetroRat:
I've never before seen an 1x1 room with that much detail. :yay: I like it. It's a bit difficult to see where you can move though.

Grime:
Awesome as always. There's lots of detail and everything looks natural. It's a bit odd to see a planet and stars, because that's appearantely a tunnel.

snarfblam:
Not bad for a NEStroid room. Can't really say anything else, because I don't hack it.

SMILEuser96:
I should have taken that item base or whatever out. It doesn't fit. >.<
And I should have given that big rock close to it a bit more detail, but oh well... and make that flat wall left of it less flat.

Crys:
That's a great room too. The spikes look a bit strange, but other than that, great.

Giving the vote this time is really hard...
but my vote goes to Crys.

Hiroshi Mishima

As I said previously, you guys ain't making this easy on us. Harrumph.  :stern:

Shadox: I like this better than your last entry. This is a room that looks nice, has functionality, and isn't full of a lot of empty space. Granted the other was a Landing Site and this was not. I like the doors and the simplicity of the room itself. Not really a whole lot I can say here.

Daltone: ...this is silly. I lol'd, I said WTF, and I'm totally not voting for this. But I did like it. ^_~ It actually works practically speaking, but it's.. well.. distracting.

IMetroRat: I like the Fusion style door. The room itself is very basic, but it's appealing. I fail to see what real function it has unless it's a deliberate dead end, however.

Grime: ...gods damn it, you put an awesome room like this up when you KNOW all these other people put a lot of effort into their entries. How dare you. This room is gorgeous, functional, NATURAL looking, and makes me want to use the "cum on cat" quote. Damn you to hell, good sir (or madam). *shun*

Snarfblam: ...and that goes for you too. Seriously, how am I supposed to judge these impeccable rooms with entries like this getting mixed in? You kids know better than to show off like this. Friggin orgasmic Master Blaster-esque room in my Room of the Week. HOW DARE YOU, young parsons. Now I have to go clean the friggin cat... again. You and your sweet-ass looking room... I hope you two are happy, now I'm gonna have a coronary trying to decide who to choose!

SMILEuser96: I like this room, it's functional and it has a fairly natural look to it. The long shafts feel a bit awkward, though, giving the room an artificial natural look. Maybe it's the palette, I dunno. I mean it isn't a BAD looking room, something just seems off.

Crys: Oh gods damn it, you're all in on it, aren't you? Yet another beautiful looking room full of custom tilesets. This one reminds me of a cross between MZM and Fusion with lots of water and ice in between. In fact, I do believe I saw you make this room in a video, not sure... it looks familiar. I do know, however, that it looks good and I'd love to play the hack it's in.

Ugh I have no idea how to grade these... maybe it's too late at night (or rather in the morning) for me to be doing this. I'm torn between several choices. Crap.

Lunaria

Shadox: I really like this room due to how simple it is, yet on the same time works excellent as a crossroad. Nothing eye catchy about it, but that's good as you better save the surprises to other rooms instead.

Daltone: The metroid is cool, I give you that, but beside that the room is shitty in every aspect. :p

IMetroRat: The fusion door is tiled up incorrectly, not that it really matters that much as it still looks good, but if you really want it to look like the one in fusion then send me a PM or something. (NO THAT DOES NOT MEAN I WILL REPLY TO ALL THE STUPID QUESTIONS I KEEP GETTING IN MY INBOX!) The room is small and simple, yet detailed, so it works well as an item room. (That's what I assume it is.)

Grime: Great looking room, but you don't really need me to tell you that, you already know. If you want something to improve on it's to have at least some empty space at the top of the room (solid tile offscreen though) to get more with the feel when it's an outdoor room.

Snarfblam: I love this room due to how it looks, not to mention the fact that it will work great with NEStroids gameplay/physics.

SMILEuser96: Tip, take down brightness setting to normal before taking a screen like this. (Not that I should say anything as it just hit me I made the same mistake... <_<; ) I get that you're trying to make a maze, but this room will be very hard to navigate without spring ball due to how cramped it is.

Crys: I made this room in a video and uploaded to youtube, as well as a video where I played the done room. There is dark water in the room so it will be darker. The spikes is the lowest tiles you will see in-game so you won't see anything below, as well as you won't see the garbage behind the door, etc.

Edit: Also, as I'm taking part I'm not voting this week, sorry peps. :P

X-tradyte

Shadox: I like Your Room, I Look Forward To Your hack.

Daltone: Dude, WTF A Metroid in The Room,  :pwuh: Sorry Dude, Not From Me.

Grime: I Like Your Style The Room is Beautiful  If I'd Make A Better room I'd Die!  :oh:

snarfblam:  I don't know what to say about your room.

SMILEuser96: I like Your Room, A Nice Long Shaft with Boulders And Other Stuff.

Finally There's Crys: I LOVE YOUR ROOM!! That's Why You Got My Vote  :^_^: I'm Happy, your happy, and Regis Hosts Millionaire  :lol:

zephyrtronium

[spoiler]Daltone for ultimate forever president[/spoiler]

:<3:

Quietus

More entries is always a good thing, but I wasn't blown away by anything this week.  Sorry, guys.

I'd put Grime's second, but Crys gets my vote.  As usual, my choice is based on its simplicity and its vibrancy.

EDIT: Forgot to give an honourable mention to snarfblam, who made another great room.  I (like others, I think) find it difficult to comment on rooms for the original, as they do look good, but I never really played it.  This makes it harder to judge what would play well et cetera.

Daltone

If you hadn't guessed, mine was a joke submission.
I couldn't say anything bad about the other rooms if I tried, But I have to go with Grime.

begrimed

X-tradyte

I got one, [spoiler][/spoiler]

There's BTS Because I Took it From Dark, If My Rom Didn't frak Up then I Wouldn't Have BTS On it.

Grimey edit: Image link is broken, bro. Upload it to www.imageshack.us and put the "direct link" URL in the img tags.

Edit: I open the image just fine, But whatever. I'll upload it there.

Nu Zalem

I like Grime's room a tiny bit more than Dark Samus' room, but both are quite creative IMO. I could see a lot of combat going on with a combination of Ki Hunters, Space Pirates, and those fast moving circular creatures in Norfair in these two rooms.

X-tradyte

Stupid me, Should of taken out the recharge corner piece and fixed the top corner. Then taken a picture. That'd look much better. But oh, well. I'm not voting this week. Maybe next time.

squishy_ichigo

I haven't actually commented on the rooms in awhile, but there is only two this week, so it shouldn't take too long. :P

Grime: This is exactly what I expect from you.  Dark palettes, alienish landscape, and just an all over great feel.  You know I love you stuff, not much else to comment on. :awesome:

DarkSamus: For being new to the community, you actually pump out some good looking rooms.  I love the palette.  I've always though rust would make a great alternative to the moss that the game originally used. This contrasts well against the silver hue to choose for the main color, and blue accents it even better. (getting it to glow blue wouldn't be too hard if you need help with that) The actual design of the room is where it falls short though.  There are a few places that just don't look aesthetically pleasing to my eyes, such as the steps that go up then down on the left, and the overall choice of tiling on the ceiling, though I do love the use of the pipes.  All in all, a very good room though, good job.  I only point out little things so it can be even better. :D

At the end of the day, I'm gonna go ahead and give my vote to DarkSamus.  Although I LOVE Grime's stuff, I feel its a bit lacking in the detail that some of his other rooms have, and for that I can't give him rotw! ;D

Katelyn

Both of these rooms are amazing. EDIT: VOTED 4 GRIME :DDDD

Lunaria

I have seen that room of grimes so many times before now so it's nothing new.

Also, I'm voting for darksamus room for a few other reasons.