News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

[SM] Phazon Hack 0.5 (Under Construction)

Started by A_red_monk_called_Key, January 12, 2010, 04:19:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A_red_monk_called_Key

i have time to work on metroid hacks again. i'm working on an editable Alt.M episode zebes with random semi-PLM placement. i'm just sick of looking at phazon when i have two better hacks almost done. 50 and 75% done

Sickwood

Woo-hoo! Welcome back, excited to see you hacking again.

Noxus

Quote from: A_red_monk_called_Key on November 19, 2022, 12:46:24 PM
i have time to work on metroid hacks again. i'm working on an editable Alt.M episode zebes with random semi-PLM placement. i'm just sick of looking at phazon when i have two better hacks almost done. 50 and 75% done
Two new hacks in the near future? :bounce:

A_red_monk_called_Key

sorry for the confusion. i have been working on Alt.M Zebes off and on for 10 years. there is a small version (M1/ZM + M3 mix) and a large version (M1/ZM + M3 mix W/M2 on same planet(ZR388))

Pethronos

Glad to see you around again. So Alternate M Episode Phazon 0.4 is PHAZON hack final version for now??

Or you consider 0.3 a final version and 0.4 an experimental one??  Will there finally be a 0.5 ?

Excited to see what you're working in at the moment  :bounce:  :^_^:

Steel Sparkle

it's been a long time. Those 2 new hacks sound really fun!

A_red_monk_called_Key

the 2nd reality in phazon in slow going. Alt.M Samus is so large i needed to test some of it on phazon 0.4 before i continued.  Alt.M Zebes is a small editable version, so other people can use the new Zebes GFX

DonnyDonovan

I liked .4 up until the Chozo ghosts but couldn't beat them no matter what I tried.

Steel Sparkle

Quote from: DonnyDonovan on December 11, 2022, 11:46:41 AM
I liked .4 up until the Chozo ghosts but couldn't beat them no matter what I tried.
I can't tell if that's a glitch or not but they should be killable. They just have a ton of HP and i mean A TON.

DonnyDonovan

I just mean I could never get them before they got me, even when I thought I was having a pretty clean fight and avoiding damage.  Their HP is too high.  After about my 20th attempt I gave up.

drb

Quote from: DonnyDonovan on December 11, 2022, 11:46:41 AM

Do you have to?  I haven't played 0.4 but in 0.3 I don't think they were meant to be killed - they were just there to harass you while you worked on the door.  That said, they do/did have a weakness...
[spoiler]you could one- or two-hit them with a charged spin jump.[/spoiler]

DonnyDonovan

In .4 I think you have to fight them unless I missed something stupid (which is entirely possible).

If a damn charged spin jump would have done it I would have been all over it.

drb

Quote from: DonnyDonovan on December 13, 2022, 11:57:47 AM
In .4 I think you have to fight them unless I missed something stupid (which is entirely possible).

If a damn charged spin jump would have done it I would have been all over it.
Yikes, that's kinda uncool if they've become required with all that health.  Guess I should probably go see for myself...

DonnyDonovan

Let me know.  If there's an easy way to get past them I'd probably give .4 another go.

drb

Quote from: DonnyDonovan on December 13, 2022, 10:58:04 PM
Let me know.  If there's an easy way to get past them I'd probably give .4 another go.

Gave it a shot on 0.4, several actually - doesn't look like they can be ignored as they're on the way out instead of the way in like they used to be.  Charged spin jumps still deal damage, but not nearly as much - every time I tried I died (9E and 4R) before they did.  No other gimmicks that I could find, either - missiles deal damage but not nearly enough, supers still get caught.  In the end, the only thing that worked for me was immediately trapping them in the corner, crouching in the sweet spot and whaling away with charged light+echo beams, and even that takes a good 3-4 minutes.  The best news I have is it looks like you only have to kill one of 'em for the doors to unlock.

Love Colored Magic

As far as I can tell, they're optional though you will miss out on [spoiler]Screw Attack, Green Frequency, and at least one Phazon Particle[/spoiler] by skipping them.  I haven't skipped them on either of the two times I played through 0.4 that far so it's possible I forgot a required door somewhere though.

Without their 0.3 weakness to exploit, yeah they just take a massive pounding to beat.  I landed over 100 charged Light beam shots before one of the admitted defeat.  Had no success trying to exploit the AI blindspot so I ended up fighting fairly which takes a greater amount of effort.

(Charged Light killed in fewer shots than charged Light + Echo in my rough damage tests but not able to claim if that's applicable to this enemy as my test targets were different.  And something less beefy)

drb

Quote from: Love Colored Magic on December 15, 2022, 11:56:53 PM
As far as I can tell, they're optional though you will miss out on [spoiler]Screw Attack, Green Frequency, and at least one Phazon Particle[/spoiler] by skipping them.  I haven't skipped them on either of the two times I played through 0.4 that far so it's possible I forgot a required door somewhere though.

Nope, just finished up and that's everything.  With the way my run went I was half-expecting to run into that frequency at some point in the endgame, but no, it's truly optional.  Though I was bummed about the particle - I would've liked to come back with the bonus beam, you know, for science.  :wink:

Yeah optional, but I pity the soul that stumbles upon them in a blind run without a recent save or, worse, just a savestate after grabbing the pickup.

DonnyDonovan

I just don't understand the design choice in making them like that compared to everything else in the hack.  It doesn't make sense.   And yeah, I stumbled onto them and wasn't saving that much because, you know, the hack generally isn't that hard. 

Steel Sparkle

Quote from: DonnyDonovan on December 16, 2022, 02:44:13 PM
I just don't understand the design choice in making them like that compared to everything else in the hack.  It doesn't make sense.   And yeah, I stumbled onto them and wasn't saving that much because, you know, the hack generally isn't that hard.
The choice is weird but they are piss easy.
From my old dead channel. I don't show the full fight but show the trick of just standing next to them. Then you crouch and aim up, Unload charge shots.
[spoiler]https://youtu.be/SBCL_ORyrQk?t=503[/spoiler]

Evander13

Cool

drb

Quote from: DonnyDonovan on December 16, 2022, 02:44:13 PM
I just don't understand the design choice in making them like that compared to everything else in the hack. 

Have you gotten to them in the 2nd file yet?  In the light world the room works like it did in 0.3, with the broken door allowing you to skip killing them.  But the room is only accessible in the dark world initially and they don't spawn there - you walk in, grab the reward and walk out without ever seeing them, unless you bother to go back in the light world for some reason.  I'm confused.  :pwuh:

I'll have a lot more to say about the 2nd file once I finish it - just wrapping up the key hunt.

Quote from: drb on December 21, 2022, 04:42:46 PM
I'll have a lot more to say about the 2nd file once I finish it - just wrapping up the key hunt.

Nevermind.  After ten hours of IGT, probably around an 85% collection rate, struggling through the key hunt, gathering all of the phazon particles, and feeling my way through some extremely garbled layer1/layer2 data in Valkyrie, I ran into this one room away from the final boss:
[spoiler=screenshot][/spoiler]

Dead end, locked door, can't go back, terminal doesn't work... game over.  Probably my own fault for pushing so far into a garbled final area, but it's a beyond-frustrating way to end a run.  It's a shame too, as the 2nd file was pretty enjoyable overall after years of experience with 0.3.  And from recent posts it sounds like @A_red_monk_called_Key has moved on, so not a lot of optimism that it'll get finished any time soon.

A_red_monk_called_Key

I'll Finish the 2nd and 3rd file some day after i finish zebes

FelixWright

Question -- Why do people need to patch multiple files to the same ROM? Why can't it just be one patch?

TobiMikami

I just assumed it was a save file exploit type thing like Bathaxx where the save file has a modification separate from the game ROM/ISO as a whole, I mean I can see for a second quest type thing where you may want to have each one on the same ROM. If there's more to it than that I wouldn't be surprised but I'd also be kinda impressed.

danidub

In 2013 Phazon 0.3 was the only map in my collection that didn't got the detailed treatment because I didn't found the way to open the rooms in Smile.
Than I found drb's maps and asked him how he managed to make a captured map of Pazon 0.3. https://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php/topic,5410.msg70234.html#msg70234
With is help I could finally make this: [spoiler]http://www.nordub.ca/Maps/Phazon3-2023.png[/spoiler]