News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

[SM] Phazon Hack 0.5 (Under Construction)

Started by A_red_monk_called_Key, January 12, 2010, 04:19:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retroo

I really want to like this hack cause i feel like there is alot of effort put into it, but it feels oversized and empty. Sadly. (talking about the hack in generall not just this new version)

A_red_monk_called_Key

Quote from: Retroo on January 07, 2020, 02:26:03 PM
I really want to like this hack cause i feel like there is alot of effort put into it, but it feels oversized and empty. Sadly. (talking about the hack in generall not just this new version)
This hack wasn't made for people play metroid religiously. it was made for every one else. i studied professionally made metroid games for there difficulty. (Something that is much needed in many hacks) most people give your hack 9 minutes to get there attention. overpowered challenges and no GFX is the reason why i got into hacking in the first place.

the patch has been fixed. there is something wrong with the 3rd message box set, thats way the NAV station is not working

Quote from: piush on January 07, 2020, 11:37:21 AM
I am playing Phazon hack 0.4 original reality. I am using snes9x 1.54. After obtaining the [spoiler]light beam[/spoiler] the door caps and graphics are messed up and some doors will not open. It is happening everywhere for me. Here are some screenshots.  Has anyone else experienced this happening? https://imgur.com/a/UiHPzET   https://imgur.com/a/ncRl4TH
not a clue what that is. i'll try to see if i can get the same thing.

Sirkura

now good things, the aesthetics of this hack are gorgeous, and really entice you to explore the world. progression i always found was interesting. retiling of the bosses have always been amazing. I like the new tank designs with their shines on the glass.

I've enjoyed this so far, But a few nit pick here an there i've found. particularly  purple doors seem a bit too common, i'm getting redesign flash backs. i think they are good for specific things for sure, like bosses, or for key items like keys. but i don't feel a save station should be locked behind one, or just a missile pack. they there should be something more rewarding behind a door that takes 10-40 missiles >.>. they kinda feel a bit random and haphazardly tossed about.

And i encountered a bug at crocomire, after beating him and collecting his item,i went back down to the save point it caused some graphical errors.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/384558466062221314/664235872320749618/unknown.png

Ambureon

Almost finished playing through Universe 1, and while it's superficially very similar to 0.3, all the little tweaks add up massively. Fantastic hack.

Going through the end-game item hunt, and some things have me pretty stumped. Will update this post with more locations -- or solutions, if I find them.

[spoiler=1]Any idea how to pass these gates in the Phazon Mine?

Every path through is either blocked off or one-way (from the other side). The gates don't move with any weapon. Does this require the Phazon Beam to just outright destroy them?[/spoiler]

[spoiler=2]Another entirely enclosed item. X-Ray reveals nothing, morph tunnels on the other side lead nowhere.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=3]I can't find any entrance to whatever other side this door has. Throwing it in here for all your brainstorming.
[/spoiler]

OhCwap

Quote from: Ambureon on January 07, 2020, 06:18:20 PM
Almost finished playing through Universe 1, and while it's superficially very similar to 0.3, all the little tweaks add up massively. Fantastic hack.

Going through the end-game item hunt, and some things have me pretty stumped. Will update this post with more locations -- or solutions, if I find them.

[spoiler]Anyone have any idea how to pass these gates in the Phazon Mine?

Every path through is either blocked off or one-way (from the other side). The gates don't move with any weapon. Does this require the Phazon Beam to just outright destroy them?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Those gates are on a timer that starts when you enter the room, i think the intended strat is to get there asap and perform a mockball.
Here is a link to a tutorial of the trick if you don't know how to do it:
https://wiki.supermetroid.run/Mockball
[/spoiler]

M1CR0H4CK3R

[spoiler=2]Another entirely enclosed item. X-Ray reveals nothing, morph tunnels on the other side lead nowhere.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=solution]Stand as far to the right as possible so that the end of it is just off screen, and shoot a Phazon Missile into the second morph slot from the top to open the gate. It is the one that is aligned horizontally with the switch that is attached to the gate.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=3]I can't find any entrance to whatever other side this door has. Throwing it in here for all your brainstorming.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=path entrance]From that door, go through the door into the room to the right (past the elevator), and look for a platform in the water that looks out of place. Morph, and put a bomb under it. The rest is easy to figure out.[/spoiler]

FPzero

Finished 0.4 on File 1. It was nice to replay Phazon again, and there were just enough minor changes to the game that it felt somewhat fresh again.

I did find a camera scrolling bug in the very final room of the escape though:
[spoiler]

When you exit Ridley's room, the camera scroll behind the door doesn't seem to be set right.[/spoiler]

I'll get to playing File 2 soon. I'm interested to see how it remixes the game.

MetroidX

OhCwap

Finished 0.4, i never finished 0.3 but i played it enough to notice most of the changes in this new version.
The areas very sparse and unique, very fun to explore, [spoiler]and the fact that most of the progression requires going through a very non intuitive path makes it even more interesting.[/spoiler]

I haven't noticed most of the glitches i've found in this new version in the previous one, maybe cause lack of experience, anyways here they are:
1- [spoiler]Apparently i wasn't the only one but picking up reserves softlocks the game[/spoiler]
2- [spoiler]There is a glass tube section at western omnion drift that spits you outside if you speedboost in them[/spoiler]
3- [spoiler]omnion drift has a vertical spark i think you can use to climb the whole room in a quicker way but the screen transition at the top is not correct so it puts you somewhere[/spoiler]
4- [spoiler]The room with the purple frequency thingy doesn't have blocks in the very top left corner so you can walljump through it since nothing prevents you from getting there[/spoiler]
5- [spoiler]The navigation room at the lower part of the sewers has a "open path" in the right wall that you can morph through
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yz85fKyXNI&list=UUlBrflLq3NN1rE7-pj60Alg&index=5[/spoiler]

You probably know this already since you made the hack and this is probably not even close to the full version but i'm just putting them here just in case.
Very cool hack, definitely gives you the good old exploration vibes, liked it a lot.

M1CR0H4CK3R

Does anyone know where the following Energy Tank was relocated to in this version? I still haven't found it yet, and it is the only item not accounted for.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Edit: I must have gotten it the first time I passed by, but I assumed it was relocated because the PB door wasn't there in this version.

By the way, @A_red_monk_called_Key, you probably meant to set Reserve Tanks to give 0x64 energy, but they give 64 (0x40) energy instead. Can you fix this? Thanks.

M1CR0H4CK3R

@A_red_monk_called_Key, is this the end of the second game for now?

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Scooterboot9697

Quote from: M1CR0H4CK3R on January 09, 2020, 04:40:55 PM

[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler]
You should be able to go through the lower right door, kill Botwoon, and acquire the Blue Phazon suit in what was originally the Grapple Beam room in 0.3.

However, in that room, entities appear to be bugged where they are shifted upward by one screen, so go to the item pedestal and jump upwards where you will find Blue Phazon floating in mid air.
[/spoiler]

M1CR0H4CK3R

Quote from: Scooterboot9697 on January 09, 2020, 04:44:47 PM

[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler]
You should be able to go through the lower right door, kill Botwoon, and acquire the Blue Phazon suit in what was originally the Grapple Beam room in 0.3.

However, in that room, entities appear to be bugged where they are shifted upward by one screen, so go to the item pedestal and jump upwards where you will find Blue Phazon floating in mid air.
[/spoiler]

I don't have Green Frequency yet.

Scooterboot9697

Quote from: M1CR0H4CK3R on January 09, 2020, 05:29:18 PM
I don't have Green Frequency yet.

There should've been a way to get it beforehand. So you're either just SOL, or entering the Dark World should give you a different door type (assuming the portal isn't also blocked by a green door).

Edit:
[spoiler]
I forgot to mention that the Green door unlocker is found in the same room where you'd normally get Power Bombs in file 1.
[/spoiler]

UDtheAesir

So you start with file 1, finish it and move your way down? Pretty cool. Do our actions done in the first file influence the others? Like miss an important item in file 1, its gone forever in the next?

Scooterboot9697

Quote from: UDtheAesir on January 09, 2020, 08:37:28 PM
So you start with file 1, finish it and move your way down? Pretty cool. Do our actions done in the first file influence the others? Like miss an important item in file 1, its gone forever in the next?
Files do not affect each other, it's not a New Game+ thing or anything. Each one is a separate 'game', or rather an alternate reality.

File 1 is the Phazon hack as we know it.

File 2 is a new twist on the original where progression is different (items have changed positions and doors have changed types), some tile sets have different palettes, the intro text is changed, and a new Dark World mechanic is added.

File 3 is apparently still Work In Progress because all it has is intro text followed by a black screen.

DonnyDonovan

So I've played all the previous versions of this.   I liked the original, loved 0.2, liked 0.3.  Is this different enough to justify a replay?  Is it still buggy enough that I should wait and see if Red Monkey submits an updated patch?  From reading the thread it seems maybe there's issues and the reaction is a little mixed?  Or is this awesome and I should be playing it and not asking stupid questions?

Scooterboot9697

Quote from: DonnyDonovan on January 09, 2020, 10:52:56 PM
So I've played all the previous versions of this.   I liked the original, loved 0.2, liked 0.3.  Is this different enough to justify a replay?  Is it still buggy enough that I should wait and see if Red Monkey submits an updated patch?  From reading the thread it seems maybe there's issues and the reaction is a little mixed?  Or is this awesome and I should be playing it and not asking stupid questions?

In my opinion, it's probably worth a replay. Although progression hasn't changed in any major way, all of the little tweaks and mechanics changes are pretty nice. The only bug you may encounter is a lockup when picking up a reserve tank. However, Red-Monkey seems to have fixed the issue (his earlier post has updated attachments), except now if you pick one up, the message box will stay up for the length of the vanilla item fanfare, though the fanfare itself is silent; after which gameplay can resume.

The majority of the bugs are in file 2 (the playthrough with Dark World and stuff), but that's because it's relatively unfinished/WIP (Red-Monkey called it a demo, though from my experience, it seems to be beatable, yet I can't find all of the final keys).

UDtheAesir

LexyChan

Quote from: Scooterboot9697 on January 09, 2020, 04:44:47 PM

[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Uhm...killing botwoon? In which world? I've entered the room in both light/dark world and he doesn't spawn for me. Plus in the light world only I'm actually trapped inside because both doors are locked and without a killable botwoon I can't exit.

[/spoiler]

EDIT: Also another thing I'm wondering:

[spoiler]Has anyone gotten this item? [/spoiler]

M1CR0H4CK3R

Quote from: LexyChan on January 10, 2020, 02:41:09 PM

Just got around to this myself, and was about to post here about that. There's no way to reach that item in either world. A picture with map for clarity:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Scooterboot9697

Quote from: M1CR0H4CK3R on January 10, 2020, 06:11:30 PM

Just got around to this myself, and was about to post here about that. There's no way to reach that item in either world. A picture with map for clarity:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

[spoiler]
If I remember correctly, that item is Screw Attack, and you should be able to destroy that glass with missiles (it's literally a Mother Brain tank).
[/spoiler]

M1CR0H4CK3R

Quote from: Scooterboot9697 on January 10, 2020, 07:40:06 PM

[spoiler][/spoiler]

[spoiler]
If I remember correctly, that item is Screw Attack, and you should be able to destroy that glass with missiles (it's literally a Mother Brain tank).
[/spoiler]

Can you explain why there is no item here in either world. then?

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Edit: Picture didn't show the icon. Here is a better one:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

M1CR0H4CK3R

[spoiler][/spoiler]

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

By the way, this didn't work in either world. I saved state and unloaded all 164 of my missiles into each version. No effect whatsoever.

Scooterboot9697

Quote from: M1CR0H4CK3R on January 10, 2020, 09:35:58 PM
Can you explain why there is no item here in either world. then?

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Edit: Picture didn't show the icon. Here is a better one:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

I had the same issue with that item. No luck on my end.

Quote from: M1CR0H4CK3R on January 10, 2020, 10:15:13 PM
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

By the way, this didn't work in either world. I saved state and unloaded all 164 of my missiles into each version. No effect whatsoever.

Weird... Either I'm misremembering, or part of that glass in not solid and can be passed through via morph...
[spoiler]Or, it may have something to do with the fact that I managed to acquire that item before killing Botwoon/acquiring Blue Phazon. Not sure if that actually has anything to do with it, but I'm willing to bet there's some rogue ASM/event sequencing(?) at play.[/spoiler]

Edit: On a different topic, I've encountered an issue where the counter for remaining keys is bugged for File 2. It keeps saying 8 or 7 keys remaining each time I pick one up, so either it's just bugged for no reason, or it's bugged because there's actually more than 9 keys(?)