News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

[SM] Phazon Hack 0.5 (Under Construction)

Started by A_red_monk_called_Key, January 12, 2010, 04:19:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zhs2

It's a grapple door. You get grapple in Tetrafuse.

Corruptor

Quote from: Zhs2 on June 24, 2012, 03:35:06 PM
It's a grapple door. You get grapple in Tetrafuse.
guess which moderator forgot to add the spoiler tag's? :3.[spoiler] Yea I noticed [a long time ago, but its fixed now] that you could just leave ridley in the middle of the fight, so I activated a save state and decided to fight him. Kind of tough, but he does go down after a while. He'd be a really tough boss to beat without the heath regenerating piece in the middle of the room.[/spoiler]

zero_traveler

ok, I've been wandering lost for the past 2 days, any hints on what or where I should be trying to go next, based on what I have already?

advancedpillow

[spoiler]there is a secret passageway in the outer space station. the warp station, essentially. shoot at the ground in the hallways of one of the exits near the bottom right.[/spoiler]

zero_traveler

Thanks for the info, finally moving again.

advancedpillow

That's the biggest secret in the game, imo. I was stuck for 2 days before I watched a vid on youtube explaining where to go. But once you find it, it seems so obvious...
[spoiler]
the huge hole in the background almost points right at it.[/spoiler]

zero_traveler

Well yeah, I was just thinking a little while ago that it was a really clever little visual hint to it, but [spoiler]since there's only one thing that hurts you in the warp station area[/spoiler], you don't really have a reason to be shooting around to find it.

zero_traveler

9 Tanks
2 Reserve tanks
70 Max missiles
25 Max Phazon missiles
Grapple
X Ray Scope

Red Phazon
Blue Phazon
Morph Ball
Spring Ball
Hi Jump Boots
Speed Booster

Beams:
Charge
Dark
Echo
Spazer

I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to get into the [spoiler]lower sewers[/spoiler] next, but how do I get there? One "way in" is the grapple door to a broken lift I can't use, and the other is an orange Power Bomb door.

NVM, I feel dumb now.

danidub

Quote from: zero_traveler on June 25, 2012, 01:03:34 PM
9 Tanks
2 Reserve tanks
70 Max missiles
25 Max Phazon missiles
Grapple
X Ray Scope

Red Phazon
Blue Phazon
Morph Ball
Spring Ball
Hi Jump Boots
Speed Booster

Beams:
Charge
Dark
Echo
Spazer

I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to get into the [spoiler]lower sewers[/spoiler] next, but how do I get there? One "way in" is the grapple door to a broken lift I can't use, and the other is an orange Power Bomb door.

NVM, I feel dumb now.

[spoiler]Scan the broken lift.[/spoiler]

zero_traveler

HAHA, yes, that would be why I editted in "NeVerMind, I feel dumb now.

lol

Kwimtim Infinity

How do I play the hack i downloaded it but it doesn't appear in zsnes?

Cloud20

Quote from: Kwimtim Infinity on July 03, 2012, 08:32:18 AM
How do I play the hack i downloaded it but it doesn't appear in zsnes?

It's maybe a stupid question but did you apply the patch on a rom?

Quietus

Quote from: Kwimtim Infinity on July 03, 2012, 08:32:18 AMHow do I play the hack i downloaded it but it doesn't appear in zsnes?
It's normally done in one of two ways:

1, Download Lunar IPS, run it, and follow its instructions to physically apply the patch (normally known as hard patching).  Then just load your ROM.  You can find a link for Lunar IPS in the Tools section.
2, Name both your ROM and the patch in the same way, so you have, for example, metroid3.smc and metroid3.ips, and place them in the same folder.  When you load the emulator, it will automatically apply the patch for you, but will not physically change the ROM.  This is normally referred to as soft patching.

Enjoy. :^_^:

Cloud20

Thanks for complete me Quietus  :lol:

Kwimtim Infinity

I think I downloaded the wrong thing SM Ph 0.3.rar.

Quietus

No, that is the correct file.  The .ips file is contained within that file in a compressed format.  To extract it, you'll need to use a program such as 7-Zip.  Once you've installed it, just right-click on the .rar file you downloaded, and click Extract here.  Then follow the instructions in my previous post.

Kwimtim Infinity

I start playing the hack and zsnes closes. What do I do /whats wrong?

Mr K

Did you patch the JU Rom with the ips patch? you need to use something like lunar ips for this. If you still can't figure it out, Me or someone else will explain in more detail what you need to do.

Quietus

Quote from: chyrak on July 04, 2012, 07:27:01 AMyou need to use something like lunar ips for this. If you still can't figure it out, Me or someone else will explain in more detail what you need to do.
Quote from: Quietus on July 03, 2012, 08:51:44 AM
Quote from: Kwimtim Infinity on July 03, 2012, 08:32:18 AMHow do I play the hack i downloaded it but it doesn't appear in zsnes?
It's normally done in one of two ways:

1, Download Lunar IPS, run it, and follow its instructions to physically apply the patch (normally known as hard patching).  Then just load your ROM.  You can find a link for Lunar IPS in the Tools section.
2, Name both your ROM and the patch in the same way, so you have, for example, metroid3.smc and metroid3.ips, and place them in the same folder.  When you load the emulator, it will automatically apply the patch for you, but will not physically change the ROM.  This is normally referred to as soft patching.

Enjoy. :^_^:
:oh:

Black Soldier

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8D804576113A6F75

I played through all of this in one sitting. 41/2 hours of my life sacrificed thanks to this hack. It's a shame I didn't get 100% of all the items though. I plan on making a second video eventually once I pinpoint what I missed.

A_red_monk_called_Key

an index error has just been discovered, has anybody gotten over 99%?

ether i'm missing a missile pack or there is only a possible 228 w/varia or 230 w/out varia(this over look will be incorporated into 0.4 as a possible 101% w/out varia)

RPG Hacker

Hi there!

I just stumbled upon your hack a few days ago and I'm loving it. I'm not completely done yet, but I'm close to the end, I guess.

Anyways I have a few suggestions and bug reports for the hack. Some you probably are already aware of, but 33 pages are a lot to read through, so I'm going to mention them, anyways.

I'm using ZSNES 1.51, btw. I tried BSNES at first, but in it I just couldn't set up the game to look the way I wanted it.

First the bugs:
  • The map screen in Tetrafuse is rather broken. You can't scroll all the way to right or to the top and can only actually see the those parts of the map when you're currently there. I think this should be rather easy to fix, though. I guess the game just loads the maps' maximum scroll values into RAM, anyways, so you should need a little ASM patch to correct those values. It may be more complicated, but I don't see why Nintendo would have done that, so that's most likely it.
  • Another bug related to the map screen: Sometimes rooms/sections you have already discovered just seem to disappear from the map screen. To me, I think, this happened on the warp ship most of the time. I don't know when exactly this happens (during the game or only after reset?), but it seems to be rather random. That's also why I can't give any more details. I guess it's probably a memory overflow or maybe a SRAM error.
  • This one is only a minor glitch, but the name "Cragsolus" didn't appear on my intro map screen (the one you access from the save menu) until my second visit there. That made me believe that it's a part of Omniom Drift, since they both look similiar on that map screen.

Now a few suggestions:
  • It happened to me quite a few times that I just stumbled into a boss room without getting the chance to save first and you are probably aware yourself that the bosses in this game are a fair bit harder than the bosses in the original game. This is, of course, a serious problem, since sometimes this means you lose a lot of progress if you die. Now usually there is a save room close to a boss room, but often they're accessed from the same hall and since there aren't any map terminals in this game (or did I just miss all of them?) you don't know which room might be a save room and which a boss room. This put me into serious trouble with the Twin Torizo battle. Of course at first I didn't know that
    [spoiler]you're supposed to destroy the door, so I fired everything I got at the Torizos.[/spoiler]
    This left me defenseless against the Torizos with no more ammo and almost no energly left. Only then (by pausing the game and watching a YouTube video) I found out how to actually beat them. At that point I only had about 50 HP left and I had a lot of unsaved progrss by then, so the only thing I could do then was to use the rewind key when I died, which I don't really like doing (it's like cheating to me).
    So anyways, now the suggestion. You have probably played Mega Man games, right? Remember how boss rooms are usually marked with a "Dr. W" symbol or something like that?

This is a simple, yet very effective way to let the player know that a boss battle is about to start so that he can prepare. You could tweak this and adopt it to your hack. For example: What about a little skull above each door that leads to a boss room? Additionally you could also put an S above each door that leads to a save room. That way the risk of stumbling into dangerious situations without being prepared is minimized. There are many halls in the game with a lot of exits, but only very few save rooms. This means a lot of potential paths, but low chances of actually finding a save room.
    Also, if you're really ambitious, you could expand this idea even further. For example: What about arrows above each one-way-door? Those gave me headaches, too. Sometimes I found myself being forced to walk a long, long way to get back into the previous room, just because the door locked after I passed through it (you know, I'm talking about those grey doors that can't be unlocked).
    Well, anyways, the boss rooms are the most important ones.
  • You probably already considered this, but the number of collected Phazon Particles and Valkyrie Gears should really be displayed somewhere. I know there are those secret rooms for the Phazon Particles (which are really hard to find, btw.) and that is OK, because the Phazon Particles are meant to be secret items, anyways. But the Valkyrie Gears are mandatory for completing the games, so the number of collected gears should really be displayed somehwere. My suggestion is to put them on that little empty space in the status bar, since status bar hacks are usually rather easy to make.

Anyways, I hope you find my feedback to be helpful. You really did a great job on this hack. I'm certainly enjoying it more than other hacks (like Super Metroid Redesign, for example) and I'd say it is at least on par with the original Super Metroid, if not even a little bit better. Keep up the good work!

MATHGODpi

^ sure you're playing the most recent version?

Version 0.2 had significant map issues, but they appeared to be completely fixed in version 0.3...

A_red_monk_called_Key

thanks for all the feed back RPG hacker, i'll have to look this over a couple times to make sure i got it all down. for this hack i've been completely open to suggestion. so i'll try to look at the game the way you do and see if i can solve those problems in some way.

as for the map, i can't repeat the glitch in a new ROM so i have no idea how it got there. i have been working on this hack on and off since 2008 and was still new to SM hacking back then. so i'm completely lost as how to fix that glitch.

RPG Hacker

Quote from: MATHGODpi on July 30, 2012, 01:29:10 PM
^ sure you're playing the most recent version?

Version 0.2 had significant map issues, but they appeared to be completely fixed in version 0.3...

Yeah. I got 0.3. The visual differences are very big, so it's easy to determine.

Quote from: A_red_monk_called_Key on July 30, 2012, 01:55:05 PMas for the map, i can't repeat the glitch in a new ROM so i have no idea how it got there. i have been working on this hack on and off since 2008 and was still new to SM hacking back then. so i'm completely lost as how to fix that glitch.

Which emulator did you play it in? Maybe it's ZSNES' fault after all. It's not like the emulator is especially accurate. If that helps I can also send you a ZSNES save state with the scroll glitch triggered, so that (assuming you're testing it in ZSNES 1.51) you can see the glitch by yourself.