News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Something I always wonder about Save Stations...

Started by PKstarship, August 16, 2015, 08:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PKstarship

I normally pay little attention to the save stations scattered around the Metroid games, but sometimes I wonder: do the Save Stations bring Samus back to life, or are they merely a cloning device that copies the thing in there last? Is it possible that if you lose a game and load your last save, you are playing as a clone? Or do they teleport Samus to an alternate dimension where she does complete her objective, or is it a mix of these things?

Just something I've wondered for a while, thought I'd throw it out there :pwuh:

Quietus

I suspect neither, in that you are the same Samus, and they are only there to provide players with a means of stopping and resuming their game.

CrAzY

snarfblam

I've always looked at it as when you die, you're effectively rewinding time to the last time you saved. You're not being cloned, it's not an alternate dimension, you're just being redirected from a failed timeline.

Quietus

Oh, now you've thrown the whole parallel universe thing in as well. What if they are all clones, and the Federation is just sending multiple Samuses on missions as test runs? These would just be pods for the next Samus to teleport into. What if the space pirates are actually the good guys, and they see the Metroids as the only creature powerful enough to help them stop army of Samus clones, whose name looks like 'Same Us'. Ooh, spooky. :lol:

PKstarship

Y'know, that would be an excellent idea for a game hack, where you are a rogue Samus trying to stop the evil Galactic Federation(or the Space Pirates) and their army of Samus clones. It would be awesome if you started off with nothing, and killing a higher ranked Samus got you a new power-up, and the final boss is a totally fully equipped Samus, complete with pimped-out armor and everything. Someone needs to make this, 'cause I barely know anything when it comes to hacking  :lol:

Edit: Now that I think about it, this idea would entirely explain why the Galactic Federation was so interested with the SA-X in Metroid Fusion. They wanted a large army of Samuses to take over the universe, and the loss of the restricted lab meant no Metroids to get in their way...

Quietus

Digital_Mantra

I've always seen it as snarf said, however the clone one has some merit, whats up with that dead body outside Kraid? Maybe a dead Samus?

Quietus

They failed the Kraid quick kill, and rage quit. :grin:

SpoOkyMagician

Quote from: snarfblam on August 17, 2015, 05:30:39 PM
I've always looked at it as when you die, you're effectively rewinding time to the last time you saved. You're not being cloned, it's not an alternate dimension, you're just being redirected from a failed timeline.

Yeah, I have to agree with this... Even though that would probably screw all other time lines/dimensions up... I think... :neutral: ...Then again... Maybe not...

~ SpoOkyMagician

Zero One

Goddamn, this is some Bioshock Infinite shit right here.

Mayo-chan

My headcanon is that Save Stations are not canon, except in Other M which are because they also recharge stations. The 'real' versions of the planets and space ships Samus visits do not have Save Stations, and are only a convenience made for us to enjoy the adventure as a game more.

Ozma

Quote from: PKstarship on August 16, 2015, 08:41:18 PM
I normally pay little attention to the save stations scattered around the Metroid games, but sometimes I wonder: do the Save Stations bring Samus back to life, or are they merely a cloning device that copies the thing in there last? Is it possible that if you lose a game and load your last save, you are playing as a clone?

Quote from: Zero One on August 19, 2015, 07:56:04 PM
Goddamn, this is some Bioshock Infinite shit right here.

what I see there is some Borderlands-style New-U stations xD

begrimed

All save stations do is teleport Samus back to them once the suit becomes inoperable. The suit itself is actually Samus by the way, not the person inside of it, so each time you die and respawn, Samus' parts disappear and reform around a new person waiting inside the save station. Who you see during the ending is who was wearing Samus when you finally beat the game. Those who think that they know what "Samus" actually looks like are just trying to find constants where there are none. Stay away from those people. Name your pets Adam.

Ozma

That still doesn't explain why do they all look alike in the end xD (especially in Prime xD )

Quietus your theory on that thing really could make a good hack story though xD

Altheaas

I would say they have to be a "rewinding" of time because events and actions Samus takes are also undone. Unlike a game like Axiom Verge which events are persistent and
[spoiler]at one point in the game he is forcefully killed by another character, only to be remade at a "rebirth egg."[/spoiler]
also
[spoiler=Like seriously if you want to play axiom verge and haven't, don't read this] Trace is actually the main villain of the game and the "Trace" you play as is actually a clone from several centuries in the past when the original Trace first used a rebirth egg.[/spoiler]

Therefore the only reasonable choice is that time simply "rewinds." Storyline-wise the save stations could either not exist, or more likely be some kind of "logbook" that Samus uses to record her progress through her mission.