News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

How/When did you get into video games?

Started by SChase123, April 28, 2016, 01:58:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SChase123

How I got into video games were by lets plays of them, commercials of them, and even just by looking at the cases for them in stores and google images.
I was around 2 or 3 years old when I first played video games, even around that time I also used computers too.

You?

Cpt.Glitch

I got into games after getting a low reputation and becoming a former member of the Metroid Construction IRC. 
Actually it was after playing my dad's Sega at the age of 4.

SChase123

Quote from: Cpt.Glitch on April 28, 2016, 02:01:08 PM
I got into games after getting a low reputation and becoming a former member of the Metroid Construction IRC. 
Actually it was after playing my dad's Sega at the age of 4.
Which Sega?
Genesis/Megadrive/SegaCD/32X, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear/Master System?

Cpt.Glitch

SChase123

Quote from: Cpt.Glitch on April 28, 2016, 02:05:38 PM
It as either a Dreamcast or genesis.
Ah.
Y'see, I have the Dreamcast, Genesis, AND the Saturn.
Also I have Bubsy 1 and 2. I bought them for shits and giggles.

siddhartha__

dad/parents bought me a lilac transparent gbc back when i was 4-5. one of my first games was pokémon red, another one was harry potter and the philosopher's stone, both on gbc. damn i played a lot of that harry potter rpg.

SChase123

Quote from: charles_black on April 28, 2016, 02:17:53 PM
dad/parents bought me a lilac transparent gbc back when i was 4-5. one of my first games was pokémon red, another one was harry potter and the philosopher's stone, both on gbc. damn i played a lot of that harry potter rpg.
Well I guess I should be a bit more specific.
My first game console was the V Smile.
But my first REAL game console; portable and not;
Was the Gameboy Advance SP with Pokemon Leaf Green and Metroid Zero Mission; and the Nintendo Gamecube, which I still have, included with the Gameboy Player..

SChase123

And as you all may know, I was born in 2003. So, I'd obviously grow up with the more modern consoles. Although, I had an FC Twin SNES+NES console, along with Super Metroid back in 2008, I'm planning to sell that console, as I might get an NES Top Loader and a legitimate SNES.

Lunaria

I got a gameboy pocket as a christmas gift when I was, what, five, six or seven years old? Around that time anyway. I had a good time with it, didn't have that many games. We have always had a PC in the household too and I remember playing or possibly/watching wolfenstein with my brother when we were around that age too. Not that we were allowed too, mind you, but it was a fun experience. Then I got pokemon red from my dad when that was released, that got me hooked with games for life I think. 'w'

SChase123

Quote from: Lunaria on April 28, 2016, 02:27:19 PM
I got a gameboy pocket as a christmas gift when I was, what, five, six or seven years old? Around that time anyway. I had a good time with it, didn't have that many games. We have always had a PC in the household too and I remember playing or possibly/watching wolfenstein with my brother when we were around that age too. Not that we were allowed too, mind you, but it was a fun experience. Then I got pokemon red from my dad when that was released, that got me hooked with games for life I think. 'w'
Funny enough, this talking about video games things makes me want to talk more about my gaming life in general.
I essentially collect video games and play them..

FelixWright

In my earlier years, I played Flash games with a dialup computer and mainly Met: Fusion on my dad's blue glacier GameBoy Advance.

That Metroid: Fusion was quite interesting. I can recall being trapped by green zombie researchers in either side rooms, leaving me in this one blue room with a table samus would lay in to get energy restored.
          /-------------------\
         /       |||       |||       \
|----|        vvvtablevvv       |----|
|      |           _____            |      |
|      |          |       |           |      |
|____|______|_____|______|____|

I have my father's Metroid 2: Return of Samus copy somewhere, I feel piss-poor that I don't know where it is in my room. .-.

[spoiler]I SWEAR that at daycare once I saw someone playing a Metroid Fusion 2 on a gba, even though there is no way that exists.

Samus was being directed by adam through these brown cargo bays in the dark, wearing a non-fusion varia suit.[/spoiler]

SChase123

Quote from: FelixWright on April 28, 2016, 02:44:01 PM
In my earlier years, I played Flash games with a dialup computer and mainly Met: Fusion on my dad's blue glacier GameBoy Advance.

I have my father's Metroid 2: Return of Samus copy somewhere, I feel piss-poor that I don't know where it is in my room. .-.

I SWEAR that at daycare once I saw someone playing a Metroid Fusion 2, even though there is no way that exists
They probably meant Metroid 2.
I actually have all 5 classic 2d Metroid games.
From NEStroid to GBAtroid 2 electric boogaloo.

EDIT--
That Metroid Fusion version you were playing was probably a leaked beta version.
I don't know how you got a hold of it, but wow..

thedopefish

This thread needs more old man, so here we go.

My first memory of video games was playing this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFglKUn-ioI (except the guy in the video sucks, even as a little kid I was able to occasionally get to the 4th screen with the conveyor belts and pies.  I also remember playing Breakout, a clone of Missile Command called Polaris, and a few other games for the TRS-80, all of which fit on a single cassette tape (that's one of these for you young'ins).

I don't remember exactly how young I was at that time.  When I was 6 or 7, I got an original Gameboy (which I still have).  I had played a couple of NES games at friends' houses by then, but now finally I had the chance to get invested in Zelda, Kirby, and Metroid.

A couple years after that, I got real into playing all sorts of shareware DOS games, and found that I particularly enjoyed stuff published by Apogee and Microprose.  And I've been a PC gamer ever since, although I later did pick up a few consoles like the SNES and N64.

Now everybody, get off my lawn.

SChase123

Quote from: thedopefish on April 28, 2016, 02:54:00 PM
This thread needs more old man, so here we go.

My first memory of video games was playing this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFglKUn-ioI (except the guy in the video sucks, even as a little kid I was able to occasionally get to the 4th screen with the conveyor belts and pies.  I also remember playing Breakout, a clone of Missile Command called Polaris, and a few other games for the TRS-80, all of which fit on a single cassette tape (that's one of these for you young'ins).

I don't remember exactly how young I was at that time.  When I was 6 or 7, I got an original Gameboy (which I still have).  I had played a couple of NES games at friends' houses by then, but now finally I had the chance to get invested in Zelda, Kirby, and Metroid.

A couple years after that, I got real into playing all sorts of shareware DOS games, and found that I particularly enjoyed stuff published by Apogee and Microprose.  And I've been a PC gamer ever since, although I later did pick up a few consoles like the SNES and N64.

Now everybody, get off my lawn.
Did you ever get into that one game called Jazz Jackrabbit?

FelixWright

Quote from: SChase123 on April 28, 2016, 02:46:59 PM

I SWEAR that at daycare once I saw someone playing a Metroid Fusion 2, even though there is no way that exists

1) Nah fam, the title said "Metroid Fusion 2"
Feel free to look over my edited OP

2) We get it, you own all teh games. Pls stop advertising

SChase123

Quote from: FelixWright on April 28, 2016, 02:56:04 PM
Quote from: SChase123 on April 28, 2016, 02:46:59 PM

1) Nah fam, the title said "Metroid Fusion 2"

2) We get it, you own all teh games. Pls stop advertising
May've been a homebrew.

thedopefish

Quote from: SChase123 on April 28, 2016, 02:55:36 PM

I played the first one a little bit.  As far as sidescrolling platformers go, I preferred Commander Keen (obviously) or Jill of the Jungle or Duke Nukem.  Plus, by the time Jazz came out, there were much more compelling games available like X-COM, DOOM, Master of Orion, and Tyrian.

SChase123

Quote from: thedopefish on April 28, 2016, 03:11:13 PM
Quote from: SChase123 on April 28, 2016, 02:55:36 PM

I played the first one a little bit.  As far as sidescrolling platformers go, I preferred Commander Keen (obviously) or Jill of the Jungle or Duke Nukem.  Plus, by the time Jazz came out, there were much more compelling games available like X-COM, DOOM, Master of Orion, and Tyrian.
I played some Com. Keen.
I've also played some DOOM, infact, I'm in a modded community of it called the SRB2 forums.

Quietus

1982, and I was 2. My parents bought my brother an Amstrad CPC 464 (with a green screen):
[spoiler][/spoiler]
Every time he wanted to play a game on it, I was on there too, so they bought me one as well. All of the games used to come on cassettes, and took up to 45 minutes to load, some creating cool images while loading. Sometime it would error, and you'd have to rewind the tape and try again. :lol:

These were the games it came with:
[spoiler][/spoiler]Oh, Mummy was my favourite of those originals, but I bought loads of others. My favourite was Target: Renegade, where you just go round beating the snot out of your enemies akin to Streets of Rage. Oh, and that awful screeching for the first nine seconds of that video - that's the data being loaded from the cassette, and it made that racket for the entire time a game was loading. :whoa:

Ah, memories. :cool:

Physix

That Metroid: Fusion was quite interesting. I can recall being trapped by green zombie researchers in either side rooms, leaving me in this one blue room with a table samus would lay in to get energy restored.
          /-------------------\
         /       |||       |||       \
|----|        vvvtablevvv       |----|
|      |           _____            |      |
|      |          |       |           |      |
|____|______|_____|______|____|

[spoiler]I SWEAR that at daycare once I saw someone playing a Metroid Fusion 2 on a gba, even though there is no way that exists.

Samus was being directed by adam through these brown cargo bays in the dark, wearing a non-fusion varia suit.[/spoiler]

That's hard to believe.

Really.

Beta and alpha ROMs don't just end up in the hands of random kids in daycare. I think your memories deceive you.

Zhs2

SlyPork

As soon as I was coherent and able to retain memories (so like 2 or 3). As far as I remember, we've always had a NES. The main game I remember loving and still want to get back to now that I have emulators readily available was Demon Sword for the NES.

Zero One

Can't remember which came first, but I got Yoshi's Story on the N64 when I started school, and Pokemon Yellow for the Gameboy the Christmas it came out. I also have distinct memories of playing Link's Awakening and Metroid II on the Gameboy, and Ocarina of Time, Mario Kart 64 and Super Mario 64 on the N64. No idea when I started playing, but it was definitely those 6 that got me into it.

Vismund Cygnus

First game I ever played was Super Metroid, when I was around 3 years old. I distinctly remember getting through Ceres, seeing Ridley, crying and making my brother beat it for me.

Good times.  :^_^:

SChase123

Quote from: Vismund Cygnus on April 29, 2016, 08:41:52 AM
First game I ever played was Super Metroid, when I was around 3 years old. I distinctly remember getting through Ceres, seeing Ridley, crying and making my brother beat it for me.

Good times.  :^_^:
If you saw the end of Super Metroid at age 3 you would've been crying at the baby metroid's death.