News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid Cliffhanger Redux

Started by Digital_Mantra, April 26, 2016, 04:04:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Digital_Mantra

Super Metroid Cliffhanger was originally released June 26th, 2008.
Redux has revived the planet with new rooms, savestations, refurbished layouts,
and a renewed storyline. From top to bottom, everything has been updated.

It was and is now at its core a challenge hack, a game to fire up and hone your skills.
Secondly it tells a story, locate all 5 Chozodian Lores to complete the mystery behind Planet Uviol.

Download:

Mini-Kraid

yikes what a treat to wake up to!  I honestly didn't see this coming but it is a welcome sight. Thanks Mantra now I have something to occupy me today :D

thedopefish

Much like the original Cliffhanger, I suspect this is a bit above my skill level but I gotta play it anyway ;)

Steel Sparkle

This looks fun. May check it out later :3

Mini-Kraid

Alright I normally hate ever asking this stuff but I feel im kinda boned.  Im in the room acessed by shinesparking through the door into a room with a super missle  and fire flies.  I cant go back the way I came and no matter how much I tried I cant shinespark in the upper door to save my life.  even tried to slow down the game to do it and im always just a tad short.

Otherwise its a fun challenge and has a better balance than the older versions of cliffhanger, mixing some of both versions.

Daltone

Quote from: Mini-Kraid on April 26, 2016, 10:44:58 AM
Alright I normally hate ever asking this stuff but I feel im kinda boned.  Im in the room acessed by shinesparking through the door into a room with a super missle  and fire flies.  I cant go back the way I came and no matter how much I tried I cant shinespark in the upper door to save my life.  even tried to slow down the game to do it and im always just a tad short.

Otherwise its a fun challenge and has a better balance than the older versions of cliffhanger, mixing some of both versions.

If you build the spark from right to left then you can get enough speed running back to the right to hop all the way up top to do the spark

Strokend

When you say it's a challenge hack, do you mean one of the annoying precision-perfect ones, or one that you simply need to know the skill, not to get it pixel perfect?

Quietus

There are some sections that are (or certainly feel like) pixel perfection.

Mini-Kraid

I appreciate the assist Daltone!  I got out and found my way to the "wrecked Ship" are.  Sadly I feel im a bit underpowered, with only an energy tank.  And Phantoon is whoopin my ass.  Will try to look around some if able.  If I had one more tank or maybe two I think id be alright.

*Edit*  Scratch that I manage to beat him with aggressive save states.  Woot!

sm cory

Yeaaaaa. Can't wait to get off of work  :^_^:

Digital_Mantra

Quote from: Strokend on April 26, 2016, 12:26:06 PM
When you say it's a challenge hack, do you mean one of the annoying precision-perfect ones, or one that you simply need to know the skill, not to get it pixel perfect?

For the most part it's mainly the use of skills. There are only a couple parts that require precision to progress, and several for 100%.
It depends on the player if it's seen as annoying or challenging.

Steel Sparkle

Good job so far DM. Game is pretty fun and challenging. So far up to the ice beam. Can't wait to see what i get next.

PonchGaming

Been enjoying so far. But I already got in a perma. The landing site has a perma. WTF.
[spoiler]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaA6ng41tes[/spoiler]

Digital_Mantra

You can also soft lock the game by getting caught by the yapping maw in the next room while shinesparking sometimes.
I'm aware of these both, I let them slide because they aren't very common to happen, and being so close to the ship, it's not going to kill your progress.

altoiddealer

After watching TAS videos of Cliffhanger, I never even bothered giving it a chance.  Looked stupid hard.  And at this point I have a number of SM hacks under my belt...

...but I'll give this one a shot now!  Looking forward to a good challenge

Steel Sparkle

Quote from: Mini-Kraid on April 26, 2016, 01:39:02 PM
I appreciate the assist Daltone!  I got out and found my way to the "wrecked Ship" are.  Sadly I feel im a bit underpowered, with only an energy tank.  And Phantoon is whoopin my ass.  Will try to look around some if able.  If I had one more tank or maybe two I think id be alright.

*Edit*  Scratch that I manage to beat him with aggressive save states.  Woot!
Just in case you can find another E-tank in this room.
[spoiler][/spoiler]
Edit:I feel stupid. That puzzle to get what is in that spoiler is a lot easier than i thought.

sm cory

Quietus

It seems to be up, and working fine for me. :neutral:

Steel Sparkle

Im lost. Please help.
[spoiler]Where do i head after getting the ice beam from Kraid?[/spoiler]

sm cory

sorry its my computer. it pulled up the download source lol

piush

I tried the download with the edge browser. it shows the source, but with the chrome browser the download works.

Mini-Kraid

Quote from: Steel Sparkle on April 27, 2016, 09:07:46 AM
Im lost. Please help.

[spoiler] After Kraid return to Brinstar area and get Grapple after sporespawn if I recall correctly.  [/spoiler]

Anyway I myself may have effed up.  I beat Eldridge and screwed around in Brinstar area only to I feel hit a roadblock.  I think Varia may be in Eldridge but I cant return the normal way due to a gray door.  Got like 15 supers and 3 energy tanks and tried Norfair area but seems I cant.

Steel Sparkle

Quote from: Mini-Kraid on April 27, 2016, 09:54:12 AM
Quote from: Steel Sparkle on April 27, 2016, 09:07:46 AM
Im lost. Please help.

[spoiler] After Kraid return to Brinstar area and get Grapple after sporespawn if I recall correctly.  [/spoiler]
Thanks.

Strokend

Quote from: Digital_Mantra on April 26, 2016, 05:11:50 PM
Quote from: Strokend on April 26, 2016, 12:26:06 PM

For the most part it's mainly the use of skills. There are only a couple parts that require precision to progress, and several for 100%.
It depends on the player if it's seen as annoying or challenging.

If it was only for a few expansions, I could understand, but requiring it for the actual powerups or progression is kind of lame. I don't want to play Super Metroid Kaizo here, just some regular challenges. Oh well, there are plenty of other hacks and there are plenty of people who enjoy the Kaizo level Metroid hacks.

Actually wait there legit is a Super Metroid Kaizo

Digital_Mantra

Quote from: Mini-Kraid on April 27, 2016, 09:54:12 AM
Anyway I myself may have effed up.  I beat Eldridge and screwed around in Brinstar area only to I feel hit a roadblock.  I think Varia may be in Eldridge but I cant return the normal way due to a gray door.  Got like 15 supers and 3 energy tanks and tried Norfair area but seems I cant.
If you're asking for help: [spoiler]Keruarns 2nd heat run is your next location, 3 tanks is tight but doable, there's a couple more you could fetch to make it less stressful.[/spoiler]

Quote from: Strokend on April 27, 2016, 01:42:29 PM
I don't want to play Super Metroid Kaizo here, just some regular challenges. Oh well, there are plenty of other hacks and there are plenty of people who enjoy the Kaizo level Metroid hacks.
Depending on reception an easy version may be made in the near future, although not likely unless it's pure hate across the board. Cheers for checking in.