News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

[SM] Shinespark as a new powerup?

Started by Mhx Air, March 25, 2016, 01:08:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhx Air

While playing through a game of Super Metroid, out of boredom, I went to switch to Wario Land 3. Immediately I thought to myself, I wonder how difficult it would be, to bind Shinespark to the Running button, so when pressed mid-air, you dash for as long as the button is held. Now I'm a graphics guy, as well as a mediocre song maker, and coding has never been my friend. This is why I've come to you all, to get more input. Binding Shinespark to always be charged and executed when the run button is pressed mid-air, could it be done? Of course, this would lead to major game breaking, but I've always wanted to take some time to remap Super Metroid into more of a Sonic-esqe running platformer, with exploration areas. There would be a huge sprite overhaul, creating an almost entirely new game, aside the fact that you know it's a Metroid game.

Back to where we were. Shinespark as a powerup, what's your input?

begrimed

What you've described certainly sounds possible, but it's not within my ability to do for you, sorry. Have this instead. D0D7-2EEC (Game Genie) / 7E0B3F04 (Pro Action Replay).

Mhx Air

Quote from: begrimed on March 25, 2016, 01:24:41 AM
What you've described certainly sounds possible, but it's not within my ability to do for you, sorry. Have this instead. D0D7-2EEC (Game Genie) / 7E0B3F04 (Pro Action Replay).

Funny you posted those. I was actually just about to ask if alternatively, the command could bind to a separate button, similar to the Gameshark GS button. Thanks, I'll try it out.

Quote58

It's possible, and I've disassembled the code that you would need to work with, but it would still take some work, especially to make it nice and polished.

What does that game genie code do?

Mhx Air

Quote from: Quote58 on March 25, 2016, 02:34:49 AM
It's possible, and I've disassembled the code that you would need to work with, but it would still take some work, especially to make it nice and polished.

Turns out it makes you blue, and has your trail follow you when walking. You are basically able to kill anything by touch, including bomb blocks. Pressing down loads shinespark, and you can use it infinitely, with the exception that it hurts you, and you can't shinespark under 30hp. Its fun to play around with, because I just started a fresh game, and killed the ghost boss, before I even found bombs. I got stuck, and couldn't get back out of the ghost ship. It's not exactly what I'm looking for, but it works for the moment. If I ever come across some money, I want to commission a team rom hack.

Quote58

Quote from: Mhx Air on March 25, 2016, 02:39:44 AM
Quote from: Quote58 on March 25, 2016, 02:34:49 AM

Turns out it makes you blue, and has your trail follow you when walking. You are basically able to kill anything by touch, including bomb blocks. Pressing down loads shinespark, and you can use it infinitely, with the exception that it hurts you, and you can't shinespark under 30hp. Its fun to play around with, because I just started a fresh game, and killed the ghost boss, before I even found bombs. I got stuck, and couldn't get back out of the ghost ship. It's not exactly what I'm looking for, but it works for the moment. If I ever come across some money, I want to commission a team rom hack.

Ahh so it just gives you permanent blue suit. I could probably give you a hex tweak that would do the same.
As for the team thing, even leaving aside the ethics of making money off of a rom hack, team rom hacks almost never work. Like, 99% of the time they don't work around here. Especially if it's more than 2 people and you aren't already familiar with rom hacking (ie. don't do the actually hacking, just something like 'project management')

Jordan5

I'm pretty sure that a certain hack which only has 16 years left before release has done something a little like this with X-Ray?

MetroidMst

Quote from: Jordan5 on March 25, 2016, 08:25:51 AM
I'm pretty sure that a certain hack which only has 16 years left before release has done something a little like this with X-Ray?
Something along the lines of this?https://youtu.be/p9JMtAGxEjk

Mhx Air

I was more specifically looking to add new movements to Samus, since the Y button is only used to unselect the weapon select menu. By a shinespark attack, I was looking for like a Wario Land attack, a mid-air elbow dash sort of attack, rather than the actual shinespark. As for a team project, I meant I do the graphics, and I have others help with the code. I'm a decent artist, and not too bad of a sprite maker. I've done other sprite hacks for stuff like NES and GBA, as well as homebrew for PSP. I just hate doing code. My attention span doesn't permit much progress with reading. Is it even possible to add more sprites for Samus? I only ask, because of the amazing work being put into Super X Fusion.

MetroidMst

Of course more sprites could be added to Samus, and it has been done, but it also takes. . . Code.

Mhx Air

Do you have any reference projects? Two things I wanted to add, besides a second run animation for super speed, is replacing shinespark with an elbow dash and an uppercut, sort of in a street fighter ryu fashion, for added lift and melee attacks. Like I said, I'd love to make a more surface exploration Metroid game, with a Sonic feel, running past enemies through hills and platforms.

MetroidMst

Here is the small bit of extra animation: https://youtu.be/Ou8lN4WgQtI

And that caused crash to never want to mess with it again.

Mhx Air

I'll admit, that's actually pretty cool. One thing I noticed in Smash Bros, was that Samus has a jet pack that helps her jump. That made me want to add a double jump, rather than the standard High Jump. I'm sure that's easier. I'm currently playing around with JSM editor (which I'm surprised doesn't have more publicity) and working on a few new sets of sprite sheets, so you can use the Gravity suit and Varia suit as two different characters. I just have to figure out how to replace the text at the beginning of the game.

Jordan5

SMILE has the ability to change the intro text at the start of the game. If you meant about skipping the intro, I believe SMILE can do that too, and there are patches which allow it and Ceres to be skipped. have a browse on here to see if there is anything useful for you.

Mhx Air

Quote from: Jordan5 on March 25, 2016, 10:10:43 AM
SMILE has the ability to change the intro text at the start of the game. If you meant about skipping the intro, I believe SMILE can do that too, and there are patches which allow it and Ceres to be skipped. have a browse on here to see if there is anything useful for you.

Nice, I appreciate the link, although I have no idea what any of the stuff actually looks like, until I use LIPS to patch a rom. I wish each patch hyperlinked to a YouTube video or image. I was hoping to find a "no rain" patch, because I'm having a hard time finding the sprite for it. I want to change the surface to a static space background, rather than clouds and rain. I would have clouds, or something, maybe shooting stars, but that's not important at the moment.

Jordan5

Again, this is all easily edited in SMILE. The rain is FX1 and you can turn it off with the click of a button. The sky scrolling can also be stopped - try reading about it in the Basic Questions

Mhx Air

I know you can change the background to be blank, and change the color by removing the lightning, but I want to change the background to an image, rather than a plain color. I appreciate all these links. The last Metroid game I did was on NES, and it was very limited. Seeing all the tools for SM, makes me think that there is so much more I can change. One other question, I can't seem to find any information about. Is there a maximum room size? Metroid games are made up of a bunch of small connecting rooms, I assume for saving memory. Is there a maximum room size? If so, is it relevant to lag, because of the size, or the amount of tiles present?

Quietus

I'm sure I've read before that the maximum room size is 50 screen areas (16x16 tiles each) in total, or a maximum of 16 screen areas in either dimension. I don't recall the room itself causing much lag, but by logical extension of you having a larger room, more enemies would certainly do it.

personitis

The bigger the room area (and likewise, the more complex the level data) the longer it will take to load from a door transition. If you want to lag a room, stuff the room full of enemies which move off-screen and/or load up the available enemy graphics.

Also, you are correct in that room area may be no larger than 50 screens or 16 (0F) screens in either direction.

Mhx Air

Only 16 tiles? I could have sworn the landing area, was bigger than that. You mean squares on the map, right? Actually, it may just be under 10.

personitis

One screen = 16x16 tiles. The landing site in SM is 8x5 should I recall properly. The game does not allow for any room to be longer/taller than 16 screens and does not posses enough space in RAM to hold a room larger than 50 screens in area.

16 * 3 = 48. This checks out.
10 * 5 = 50. Also works.
17 * 2 = 34. This does not work.
9 * 6 = 54. No can do.

Sorry for redundancy and pointing out simple math. Just trying to be completely clear here.

Mhx Air

Alright. I'm still trying to get used to Smile. It seems you can't enter a number higher than 9. I'm just trying to figure out how to create new rooms. Maybe I should just create a new topic somewhere, specifically to ask questions, since this is no longer specifically about Shinespark. What forum section do you recommend for me to post questions in when I get stuck?

I somehow managed to create some weird invisible mess, and I can't get rid of it, because it doesn't show up on my tiles. It's likely something to do with moving the ship around to edit the landing pad.
http://i.imgur.com/jMNqglL.png

Quietus

Quote from: Mhx Air on March 26, 2016, 01:48:02 AMIt seems you can't enter a number higher than 9.
I don't have it in front of me to check, but I'm fairly certain that this is due to it being hexadecimal. 0-9 = 0-9, but above that you'd enter A-F to get to 16. In hex, 1-16 = 0123456789ABCDEF.

Mhx Air

Quote from: Quietus on March 26, 2016, 07:01:26 AM
Quote from: Mhx Air on March 26, 2016, 01:48:02 AMIt seems you can't enter a number higher than 9.
I don't have it in front of me to check, but I'm fairly certain that this is due to it being hexadecimal. 0-9 = 0-9, but above that you'd enter A-F to get to 16. In hex, 1-16 = 0123456789ABCDEF.

Oh yeah, that makes sense. Also, I fixed that invisible barrier, and have a new question. How do I make blocks non-solid, and how do I make doors, without using the doors? I accidentally made a door without the door, but I don't know how I did it. The reason I ask, is to simply make the edge of the map flip to the next map edge. As for making blocks non-solid, to walk in front of them, or behind them, like trees and whatever else. I can't seem to figure out which green voxel I'm supposed to click, so I'm using the "pass through the bottom" platform box for now.

Quote58

Quote from: Mhx Air on March 26, 2016, 07:11:08 AM
Quote from: Quietus on March 26, 2016, 07:01:26 AM

Oh yeah, that makes sense. Also, I fixed that invisible barrier, and have a new question. How do I make blocks non-solid, and how do I make doors, without using the doors? I accidentally made a door without the door, but I don't know how I did it. The reason I ask, is to simply make the edge of the map flip to the next map edge. As for making blocks non-solid, to walk in front of them, or behind them, like trees and whatever else. I can't seem to figure out which green voxel I'm supposed to click, so I'm using the "pass through the bottom" platform box for now.

Dude just read some documentation. http://www.metroidconstruction.com/SMMM/
Before you ask anything here, make sure you've actually tried looking for the answer.